Hyundai Kona Forum banner

2020 Kona Engine Stalling

14K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  abdiadam03 
#1 ·
Hi folks, this is my first time here! I've been having an issue with my 2020 Kona (automatic, 7500miles) where the engine will stall in low-speed traffic (once at a full stop). It has happened three times now, every time on my way home from work. It's a 40 min drive round trip and roughly 30 miles total. When it happens, I slow way down. First time was for a pedestrian, second was going through a green arrow, third was coming to a full stop at red light. Then, when I go to hit the accelerator, the engine stalls, electronics stay on, CEL, battery light, and oil light all come on. Once I restart the car, it's fine, but the computer isn't logging any codes, which is frustrating because then the dealer can't do anything about it. They had my car for days and couldn't get it to stall. The dealership said there was nothing mechanically wrong with the car in any way, but obviously something's screwed up and I'm at a loss. Please help.

#3 ·
It's not the turbo, but I don't know which of the others my engine is. Definitely no accidents, physical, weather related, or otherwise. Like I said, the dealership checked over everything, and they can't find anything wrong with the car. The throttle body is clean, no cylinder misfires, nothing. My oil is kinda dirty, but I am coming up on 10k miles, so it makes sense that its not pristine. My father thought it might be a glitchy engine computer, but unless the car logs any codes and such, the mechanics won't do anything to it.

#4 ·
10K miles is a bit long OCI, esp. if it is not synthetic oil, with an inexpensive filter. I expect the Hyundai OEM filter is fairly clogged up at 10 K, as I recall that filter is only rated for 5K.

Is your oil level low? What is the RPM when you idle/stall out? Is the engine temp higher than normal? Did the dealer recommend an oil change?

For the various turbo engines the recommended OCI is 5K, for the naturally aspirated Sonata is 7.5K.
You have nothing to lose by changing the oil and filter, which you need to do anyhow, and it will at least give you a datapoint. I would use fully synthetic oil, and a good quality filter, and see if this goes away.

#5 ·
Yeah, I can def get the oil and filter changed. The oil levels are fine, and I don't notice anything strange right before a stall. I'm also usually in moving traffic when it happens, so I'm not staring at my RPMs. But the temp is normal, there's no juddering or noises before a stall. It just cuts out without warning or indication. One minute the engine is running, the next it's dead. Thanks for the advice about the OCI and I def plan to go full synthetic.

#6 ·
Hello. I have a 19 SE AWD. Mine hasn't done the Stall. But on occasion has a Misfire. Feb of last year I was Misfiring 2 cylinders. Cleared itself up. And somehow the Codes Erased themselves. Ask the Dealer if they have a Flight Recorder. A module that plugs intot he Diagnostic Port. It records as you drive. Maybe one of the Sensors is giving a false reading?

#7 ·
My 2020 Kona had a similar problem initially in December 2020 that started mildly and then more pronounced a little later where the engine stalls pretty much every time you come to slow speed. I brought it to the dealer and they changed a campshaft assembly and CVVT assy-exhaust (have no idea what these are). After the fix, the car seemed to work fine for a while. The stalling and the car shutting down started happening again in May, and I brought it into the dealer, and a few days later, I got a call saying the engine needs to be replaced. I think you should continue to talk to the dealer until you find the solution. Obviously, your safety is the utmost concern here.

#8 ·
It ended up being the camshaft assembly (the whole timing chain system), which of course I had the whole thing replaced. It made the problem worse, and the car became un-driveable. Trying to get a repurchase of the vehicle because it should not have this same issue twice in a row on a car of this age and mileage. There's something fundamentally wrong with the vehicle if it cannibalises two timing systems in a row. If I get a new engine in it, how will I know that this new engine won't do the exact same thing in a year? This is the first Hyundai I have ever owned, and I gotta say this has squandered my trust in them.

#10 ·
Hi, I'm having the same stalling issue with my 2020 Kona, automatic transmission. It started around 2000 miles, I now have 15000 and have had it at the dealer multiple times and it never replicates for them. It's so frustrating, I'm not sure if it's the transmission or motor, but intermittently, when I am at a complete stop and start to go, I make it about 10 yards and it will stall for a second or two and then go. I have contacted Hyundai via email, messaging and telephone. I have yet to have anyone return my phone calls!?! I am concerned to pull out in traffic with this issue... I checked and I am not on any service/recall list.

#11 ·
Hi Char - I came to this forum to try and figure out what's going on with my Kona and I'm having the same exact issue. I'm kinda in a pickle because I'm coming up on the end of my lease and I was planning to purchase it out because I got it before inflation hit and it's pretty inexpensive to buy out now. However, I'm hesitant due to this stalling issue. Did they ever figure out what's going on with your car? I took mine to the dealership and they couldn't replicate it either. They think the brake doesn't have enough time to disengage before I hit the gas pedal so it's automatically stalling it.

#14 ·
I’ve gotten them to believe it, because I had a video of it happening, aswell as it happening when then test drove it… it seems to me like it’s a normal thing. Might have to use the 2 second rule to let the transmission engage, exactly like taking a manual vehicle from neutral into first gear would take time to apply clutch, shift gear, release the clutch and give gas(since it’s a DCT transmission it drives like a manual). I drive it in the manual mode (where you change the gears youself) and it hasn’t happened using that mode. Seems like the transmission just takes time to engage and you have to give it at least 2 seconds before you hit the gas after releasing the break…poor design it boils down to i guess

#17 ·
Just a thought; Has the dealership taken a close look at the Torque Converter Lock-Up Solenoid ? If it's not fully releasing hydraulic pressure to the Torque Converter Clutch(s), it could be dragging the engine idle down so far it would stall. With the engine not running for a few seconds, hydraulic pressure is released on the lock-up clutch(s) in the Torque Converter, and the car will start right back up.

Chased a similar problem on a GM TH125 auto trans axle for a couple weeks.

Can't hurt to bring the subject up.

#23 ·
Hi, I'm having the same stalling issue with my 2020 Kona, automatic transmission. It started around 2000 miles, I now have 15000 and have had it at the dealer multiple times and it never replicates for them. It's so frustrating, I'm not sure if it's the transmission or motor, but intermittently, when I am at a complete stop and start to go, I make it about 10 yards and it will stall for a second or two and then go. I have contacted Hyundai via email, messaging and telephone. I have yet to have anyone return my phone calls!?! I am concerned to pull out in traffic with this issue... I checked and I am not on any service/recall list.
ive got a 2020 kona base model with 185,000 miles on it. never had this problem but you should be on the piston ring recall list. not sure if it'll help but make sure you get that free recall fixed. in the meantime, make sure you check your engine oil frequently. the level drops every so often and i keep extra oil in my garage for top offs, just in case.

#24 ·
Update: The dealer still has my car and is waiting for a new cylinder head. To date they have put in now over $25,000 worth of parts and labour into my car. They have put in a new radiator (as it started to leak while it was there). The entire valve train, cylinder head, cams, cam carrier and cvvts, along with the timing belt, locating pin, bearing caps, and value covers. The parts are suppose to come in a few days and they still haven’t told me the reason why all those lights came on in the first place.