Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, this is my first time here! I've been having an issue with my 2020 Kona (automatic, 7500miles) where the engine will stall in low-speed traffic (once at a full stop). It has happened three times now, every time on my way home from work. It's a 40 min drive round trip and roughly 30 miles total. When it happens, I slow way down. First time was for a pedestrian, second was going through a green arrow, third was coming to a full stop at red light. Then, when I go to hit the accelerator, the engine stalls, electronics stay on, CEL, battery light, and oil light all come on. Once I restart the car, it's fine, but the computer isn't logging any codes, which is frustrating because then the dealer can't do anything about it. They had my car for days and couldn't get it to stall. The dealership said there was nothing mechanically wrong with the car in any way, but obviously something's screwed up and I'm at a loss. Please help.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
759 Posts
Hi folks, this is my first time here! I've been having an issue with my 2020 Kona (automatic, 7500miles) where the engine will stall in low-speed traffic (once at a full stop). It has happened three times now, every time on my way home from work. It's a 40 min drive round trip and roughly 30 miles total. When it happens, I slow way down. First time was for a pedestrian, second was going through a green arrow, third was coming to a full stop at red light. Then, when I go to hit the accelerator, the engine stalls, electronics stay on, CEL, battery light, and oil light all come on. Once I restart the car, it's fine, but the computer isn't logging any codes, which is frustrating because then the dealer can't do anything about it. They had my car for days and couldn't get it to stall. The dealership said there was nothing mechanically wrong with the car in any way, but obviously something's screwed up and I'm at a loss. Please help.
1.6t, 2.0l, or 1.0l? have you checked the battery, the belt, and the alternator? any fuses or relays blown? any loose wires? anything recent that maybe an indirect cause like flooding, accident, etc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not the turbo, but I don't know which of the others my engine is. Definitely no accidents, physical, weather related, or otherwise. Like I said, the dealership checked over everything, and they can't find anything wrong with the car. The throttle body is clean, no cylinder misfires, nothing. My oil is kinda dirty, but I am coming up on 10k miles, so it makes sense that its not pristine. My father thought it might be a glitchy engine computer, but unless the car logs any codes and such, the mechanics won't do anything to it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
10K miles is a bit long OCI, esp. if it is not synthetic oil, with an inexpensive filter. I expect the Hyundai OEM filter is fairly clogged up at 10 K, as I recall that filter is only rated for 5K.

Is your oil level low? What is the RPM when you idle/stall out? Is the engine temp higher than normal? Did the dealer recommend an oil change?

For the various turbo engines the recommended OCI is 5K, for the naturally aspirated Sonata is 7.5K.
You have nothing to lose by changing the oil and filter, which you need to do anyhow, and it will at least give you a datapoint. I would use fully synthetic oil, and a good quality filter, and see if this goes away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I can def get the oil and filter changed. The oil levels are fine, and I don't notice anything strange right before a stall. I'm also usually in moving traffic when it happens, so I'm not staring at my RPMs. But the temp is normal, there's no juddering or noises before a stall. It just cuts out without warning or indication. One minute the engine is running, the next it's dead. Thanks for the advice about the OCI and I def plan to go full synthetic.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello. I have a 19 SE AWD. Mine hasn't done the Stall. But on occasion has a Misfire. Feb of last year I was Misfiring 2 cylinders. Cleared itself up. And somehow the Codes Erased themselves. Ask the Dealer if they have a Flight Recorder. A module that plugs intot he Diagnostic Port. It records as you drive. Maybe one of the Sensors is giving a false reading?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2020 Kona had a similar problem initially in December 2020 that started mildly and then more pronounced a little later where the engine stalls pretty much every time you come to slow speed. I brought it to the dealer and they changed a campshaft assembly and CVVT assy-exhaust (have no idea what these are). After the fix, the car seemed to work fine for a while. The stalling and the car shutting down started happening again in May, and I brought it into the dealer, and a few days later, I got a call saying the engine needs to be replaced. I think you should continue to talk to the dealer until you find the solution. Obviously, your safety is the utmost concern here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2020 Kona had a similar problem initially in December 2020 that started mildly and then more pronounced a little later where the engine stalls pretty much every time you come to slow speed. I brought it to the dealer and they changed a campshaft assembly and CVVT assy-exhaust (have no idea what these are). After the fix, the car seemed to work fine for a while. The stalling and the car shutting down started happening again in May, and I brought it into the dealer, and a few days later, I got a call saying the engine needs to be replaced. I think you should continue to talk to the dealer until you find the solution. Obviously, your safety is the utmost concern here.
It ended up being the camshaft assembly (the whole timing chain system), which of course I had the whole thing replaced. It made the problem worse, and the car became un-driveable. Trying to get a repurchase of the vehicle because it should not have this same issue twice in a row on a car of this age and mileage. There's something fundamentally wrong with the vehicle if it cannibalises two timing systems in a row. If I get a new engine in it, how will I know that this new engine won't do the exact same thing in a year? This is the first Hyundai I have ever owned, and I gotta say this has squandered my trust in them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I’m having the same problem. Already stalled 3 times. If can tell me what was your solution for the problem. I’ll be glade. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts