Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have owned my brand new Kona Highlander 2lt for 5 months and I've just had to have it towed in to the dealership due to engine issues. It turns out that there was no oil in my engine(even after initial 4 week service)and the bores have been ruined . The dealership have told me that they are now going to replace only the bottom part of the motor. Can anyone give me a clue as to if this is an ok result or should I be pushing them to replace the whole engine as some people I know have instructed me to ask for. Thankyou

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hello. I have owned my brand new Kona Highlander 2lt for 5 months and I've just had to have it towed in to the dealership due to engine issues. It turns out that there was no oil in my engine(even after initial 4 week service)and the bores have been ruined . The dealership have told me that they are now going to replace only the bottom part of the motor. Can anyone give me a clue as to if this is an ok result or should I be pushing them to replace the whole engine as some people I know have instructed me to ask for. Thankyou
Without question you need to demand a long block. Even if they send out the head to clean, it is known in the engine rebuilding world that there are many times they don’t get clumps of aluminum slurry that packed into a recess and 5,000 miles into the new motor it lets loss and takes out the motor. You need to take this up with the service manager and without question drive this up to corporate Hyundai if he is not going to get you a long block.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new Kona with 11,000 miles. The engine was making a loud noise. My husband checked for oil and it was completely DRY. No warning lights came on. It was not due for oil replacement. It is at the dealership today. I don't even want it back after reading here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That makes zero sense to just replace the bottom end. As others have already been quick to say, add me to the list. Escalate that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok thanks guys, I'm going to call the service manager today and demand a whole new motor. It seems after reading a lot of posts on this forum that Hyundai's cars are having low or no oil issues. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have a new Kona with 11,000 miles. The engine was making a loud noise. My husband checked for oil and it was completely DRY. No warning lights came on. It was not due for oil replacement. It is at the dealership today. I don't even want it back after reading here.
Please take your avatar virtue signaling political propaganda off this site. We have enough political BS in life. We don't need it here. The guy killed Asian's because he was pissed at the sex trade in general, it had NOTHING to do about race. If it was "the gray aliens from mars in the brothel" and that nut job guy was pissed at them YOU would have to have that on your avitar say "stop the gray alien from mars HATE. Please take your political propaganda virtue signaling off this site.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2021 Kona which I bought in September. In January I made an appointment for my first oil change (it had 4,500 miles but then the dealership called me and said I didn't need to come in yet because oil changes aren't required until 6K miles.

Then, In early February I let my son drive it and he had a minor fender bender (not his fault). While at the body shop the mechanics there checked the oil, etc. and discovered nearly no oil in the engine. The bodywork was done and the car was sent to the Hyundai dealership to figure out why it was burning so much oil. Their tests found numerous unexplainable problems.

After more than 2 weeks at the dealership they just called this morning. The engine is defective and they're replacing the whole thing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2021 Kona which I bought in September. In January I made an appointment for my first oil change (it had 4,500 miles but then the dealership called me and said I didn't need to come in yet because oil changes aren't required until 6K miles.

Then, In early February I let my son drive it and he had a minor fender bender (not his fault). While at the body shop the mechanics there checked the oil, etc. and discovered nearly no oil in the engine. The bodywork was done and the car was sent to the Hyundai dealership to figure out why it was burning so much oil. Their tests found numerous unexplainable problems.

After more than 2 weeks at the dealership they just called this morning. The engine is defective and they're replacing the whole thing.
Which engine do you have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so I've been to the dealership. Apparently I have no say in how the car is being fixed . What the dealership has guaranteed me is 1. Hyundai dont like bad feedback so if they thought it needs a long engine put back in it then they would. 2. If this car has any other "similar related " engine issues then I am entitled to a new car . 3 Apparently they are aware of 2020 kona oil issues but it was only for a certain range of engines made and wouldn't elaborate on if my engine was one. 4. The engine head is being taken away , stripped down and thoroughly rebuilt. .
So now its a 3 week wait to have the engine replaced and hope for the best. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Funny how here in Australia they say the first service at the 6 week mark is mainly to check the electrics and a quick engine service. I came in for mine as they were quite adamant as to how important the initial service was. But at the end of the day it didn't save my kona lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have the same issue!I completed the engine oil consumption test,THREE weeks ago and still waiting for them to determine what they are going to do next!!This is my fourth Hyundai that I’ve purchased and was happy until now!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok, so I've been to the dealership. Apparently I have no say in how the car is being fixed . What the dealership has guaranteed me is 1. Hyundai dont like bad feedback so if they thought it needs a long engine put back in it then they would. 2. If this car has any other "similar related " engine issues then I am entitled to a new car . 3 Apparently they are aware of 2020 kona oil issues but it was only for a certain range of engines made and wouldn't elaborate on if my engine was one. 4. The engine head is being taken away , stripped down and thoroughly rebuilt. .
Sorry to hear. My question is why are you forced to own what is basically a rebuilt engine (head) w replacement block when you purchased a brand new car?
I don’t understand how Hyundai rationalizes this is appropriate resolution. You paid new car value and now due to their defective workmanship you have to own a rebuilt engine (top end).

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the issue is with the piston rings, as apparently they are not the best make, then a new top end won't mean squat, and you'll be right back in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear. My question is why are you forced to own what is basically a rebuilt engine (head) w replacement block when you purchased a brand new car?
I don’t understand how Hyundai rationalizes this is appropriate resolution. You paid new car value and now due to their defective workmanship you have to own a rebuilt engine (top end).
Thanks mate, I never thought of it that way. Youre spot on though. Might have to have another chat with the manager.

·
Registered
2019 SE sonic silver
76 Posts
I would absolutely lose my sheit on them, threaten lawsuits, and go directly to Hyundai corporate and kick up a major stink. You need, and deserve a brand new engine. You bought a brand new car, not a 100k mile hoopty. In the end, it will cost them more (time and money) to rebuild it rather than replace, plus, the damage is done. What are they going to do? Spray it with air and slap it back together? ugh. I would be furious. I feel for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts