Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been investigating the failures for a few months now. Just from my FB Kona group, I have 25 Konas that needed replacement engines, from 1k miles to 30k. Mostly 2020 models have been affected, but I also know of a handful of 19's, and now 1 2021 has fallen. I have been in contact with Hyundai trying to get answers, and I've been collecting info on the failures I know of. Like you said, eventually (I see it happening sooner rather than later) a class action lawsuit will be filed, and with the launch of the Kona N, and the 2nd gen 2021 models, this will be devastating to Kona sales.
got 2020 with 5,600 miles with engine failure. dealer is replaceing engine

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2020 kona with 11500 miles started clicking, went to dealership had me do an oil consumption test then at 13000 they changed the engine. Now not even 200 miles on the new engine and it's starting to click again! I bought it brand spanking new and only have the dealership do oil changes. Anyone else have to replace their engine due to "manufacture" defect causing the pistons to fail, not once, but likely twice? I foresee kona class action law suits in the future. This is ridiculous.
I am beginning what you have done. I have just finished my 2nd oil consumption test. If it burns oil again, which it will, they will replace the engine. Your post concerns me greatly. And I am afraid, if I do want to sell this car, the VIN search will show a new engine installed at 8000 miles. So stupid ! Lemon laws say we have to let the manufacturer makes repairs. I agree. Ridiculous ! I feel helpless

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I am beginning what you have done. I have just finished my 2nd oil consumption test. If it burns oil again, which it will, they will replace the engine. Your post concerns me greatly. And I am afraid, if I do want to sell this car, the VIN search will show a new engine installed at 8000 miles. So stupid ! Lemon laws say we have to let the manufacturer makes repairs. I agree. Ridiculous ! I feel helpless
You have a 100,000 warranty, Hyundai gives you another late model car to drive while you are waiting. Even if it happens twice you won't be without a late model car. Drive the Kona till it is paid off or at least 3-4 years so you won't take a hit then if you sell right when it gets fixed you will lose your shirt. Enjoy the car move on knowing Hyundai will always give you a free car while they fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2020 kona with 11500 miles started clicking, went to dealership had me do an oil consumption test then at 13000 they changed the engine. Now not even 200 miles on the new engine and it's starting to click again! I bought it brand spanking new and only have the dealership do oil changes. Anyone else have to replace their engine due to "manufacture" defect causing the pistons to fail, not once, but likely twice? I foresee kona class action law suits in the future. This is ridiculous.
Just read this evening that the 2.0 is subject to recall for potential fire hazard. Engine replacement is remedy. If you've not had that info from your dealer, you should contact them.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts