Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

New to the forum. Just purchased a 2020 Kona SEL plus and love it so far.

However the next morning, after the car sat for a long period of time, the brake pedal was stiff. I had to apply a high amount of force to trigger the brake switch in order to start the car. It definitely didn't feel normal. This also happens after an 8 hour day at work when I start it to go home.

Is this normal for the Kona? Anybody else experiencing the same thing? It doesn't happen when I leave it for an hour or so like when I'm at the gym. Wanted to get some input here before I take it to the dealer. TIA.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
757 Posts
Hi everyone,

However the next morning, after the car sat for a long period of time, the brake pedal was stiff. I had to apply a high amount of force to trigger the brake switch in order to start the car. It definitely didn't feel normal. This also happens after an 8 hour day at work when I start it to go home.

Is this normal for the Kona? Anybody else experiencing the same thing? It doesn't happen when I leave it for an hour or so like when I'm at the gym. Wanted to get some input here before I take it to the dealer. TIA.

Well, the details are vague/ Are you in an area thats cold, say 40 degrees F or below? Whats your brake fluid level?

Also you dont need push the brake to the floor, just a light tap of about 10mm to allow ignition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Southern California so it doesn't get cold. Brake fluid level is full. No sign of any leaks. Car only has 150 miles right now bought it on 11/17/19.

The brake pedal is extremely stiff. Can't do a light tap because it's stiff right at the beginning. Usually a person can press the brake with just the strength of their foot, I actually have to use my quad to get it low enough to trigger the brake switch in order to start the car. It definitely doesn't seem normal. I'm thinking it's the check valve to the brake booster but I wanted to know if this was normal for the Kona. I'm assuming not.

Well, the details are vague/ Are you in an area thats cold, say 40 degrees F or below? Whats your brake fluid level?

Also you dont need push the brake to the floor, just a light tap of about 10mm to allow ignition.
Hi everyone,

However the next morning, after the car sat for a long period of time, the brake pedal was stiff. I had to apply a higher amount of force to trigger the brake switch in order to start the car. This also happens after an 8 hour day at work when I start it to go home.

Is this normal for the Kona? Anybody else experiencing the same thing? It doesn't happen when I leave it for an hour or so like when I'm a

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm in Southern California so it doesn't get cold. Brake fluid level is full. No sign of any leaks. Car only has 150 miles right now bought it on 11/17/19.

The brake pedal is extremely stiff. Can't do a light tap because it's stiff right at the beginning. Usually a person can press the brake with just the strength of their foot, I actually have to use my quad to get it low enough to trigger the brake switch in order to start the car. It definitely doesn't seem normal. I'm thinking it's the check valve to the brake booster but I wanted to know if this was normal for the Kona. I'm assuming not.
Most new cars have a throttle disconnect when applying the brake. A quick test would be to accelerate lightly in say second gear while keeping the engine gaining rpm, and use your left foot to just lightly tap the brake. It should kill your throttle with just a "wee" press of the brake pedal. Like a 5 mm movement.If you have more you might have an incorrectly adjusted brake switch. Wheather you want to try to adjust it of let the dealer do it, is up to you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I presume the pressure you apply when driving the car is "normal" (less) and not as hard/stiff as when you try to start it? If so, then I think you are on the right track with a vacuum leak or a check valve.

My 2019 SEL doesn't really require much pedal pressure when starting it even in 35F weather. I can tell there is no boost for the pedal, so I get one shot...I guess... but even after that, the pressure is typical for any car with power brakes.

I would definitely let the dealer look at that.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
I think what your feeling is the pedal “boost” has leaked down.. So your needing to apply more force until you start the car and vacuum is applied to the master brake cyl to pump it back up.. I had this happen a few times but not recently.. It operates normal once started..
I dont consider it to be a malfunction..
I find the brakes to be too Grabby when cold.. but better after some use..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had same problem in Florida, car sat 18 hrs. in garage app. 80 degrees, and brake pedal was high and firm, I had to press pedal hard 3 or 4 times before it started .I will call dealer tomorrow and inquire

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I think what your feeling is the pedal “boost” has leaked down.. So your needing to apply more force until you start the car and vacuum is applied to the master brake cyl to pump it back up.. I had this happen a few times but not recently.. It operates normal once started..
I dont consider it to be a malfunction..
I find the brakes to be too Grabby when cold.. but better after some use..
In my opinion, Bad Papa hit the nail on the head. I also think this is the issue, which means it is not an issue. This is normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had same problem in Florida, car sat 18 hrs. in garage app. 80 degrees, and brake pedal was high and firm, I had to press pedal hard 3 or 4 times before it started .I will call dealer tomorrow and inquire
Took mine in to the dealer, as the stiffness could not be replicated, they wanted to keep it for a few days, I declined this time, I spoke to a relative who has a 2017 Mitsubishi sport, and the same thing occurs when they don't use the car for a few days, it has been going on for a long time ,they just hold the pedal down very hard ,or pump it hard and the car starts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts