Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I thought maybe my 2020 Kona’s near stall, shudder & check engine light a few wks ago might be ignition coils (my 2017 Elantra had that drama), but Hyundai service said it was bad fuel injectors 3 & 4, but the co. only allows those to be replaced.

If it’s a known defect I wish they’d just replace ALL 4. Supposedly it’s less than $180 (I’m not sure why they wouldn’t just clean all that out after replacing the 2 parts & being up in the injector system). They say an injector service is recommended every 15k miles, well I’m under that & their parts failed under warranty, Kona only has abt 13,400 miles so umm? yeah Happy New year to me.

At least my car rental is free under warranty. (but I’m paying the $21/day for damage insurance, b/c of my rotten luck with cars & careless drivers) I don’t need to pay my ins. deductible if someone hits this rental in this busy neighborhood. Again happy new year auto bills to me😣

Good news is that the factory recall that I also went in for turned out ok. I guess my car is NOT affected there.

·
Super Moderator
1,345 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums…. Injector cleaning service is NOT needed every 15K or ever in most cases when using brand name gasoline.. Dealers love to tell you otherwise and overcharge you..

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
917 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums…. Injector cleaning service is NOT needed every 15K or ever in most cases when using brand name gasoline.. Dealers love to tell you otherwise and overcharge you..

The Manual recommends to run a few system/injector cleaner every 15k miles.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
917 Posts
Hi so I thought maybe my 2020 Kona’s near stall, shudder & check engine light a few wks ago might be ignition coils (my 2017 Elantra had that drama), but Hyundai service said it was bad fuel injectors 3 & 4, but the co. only allows those to be replaced.

If it’s a known defect I wish they’d just replace ALL 4. Supposedly it’s less than $180 (I’m not sure why they wouldn’t just clean all that out after replacing the 2 parts & being up in the injector system). They say an injector service is recommended every 15k miles, well I’m under that & their parts failed under warranty, Kona only has abt 13,400 miles so umm? yeah Happy New year to me.

At least my car rental is free under warranty. (but I’m paying the $21/day for damage insurance, b/c of my rotten luck with cars & careless drivers) I don’t need to pay my ins. deductible if someone hits this rental in this busy neighborhood. Again happy new year auto bills to me😣

Good news is that the factory recall that I also went in for turned out ok. I guess my car is NOT affected there.

Im assuming you have the 2.0l engine, because you went for the recall check. There isn't a Known defect of the fuel injectors at this point. Of the millions of parts produced, it could be a bad lot number, or heck, a bad install from factory, as humans do make mistakes, even the best of them. Also, low quality fuel can damage the injectors as well, or even a improperly seated oring. It happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for your info & help. I noticed they never suggested any fuel injection service on my 2017 Elantra & it had over just 30k miles when I turned that lease in. It’s the same dealership/service dept that replaced defective ignition coils on that Elantra, who are trying to sell this fuel injection cleaning to me now & I don’t get it. I left a message for the director of service today to see if she’ll waive any fee. If their fuel injectors failed under warranty, then they need to make sure all 4 are properly functioning & get the vehicle to factory specs before returning my car & if that means a cleaning, then I think they need to clean it as a courtesy since I’m not even at 15k. Fingers crossed. I have until Jan 2023 to get out of this lease & I hope the fuel injectors will hang in after this service. I’m not buying this car-nope nope!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im assuming you have the 2.0l engine, because you went for the recall check. There isn't a Known defect of the fuel injectors at this point. Of the millions of parts produced, it could be a bad lot number, or heck, a bad install from factory, as humans do make mistakes, even the best of them. Also, low quality fuel can damage the injectors as well, or even a improperly seated oring. It happens.
Thx for your reply & help. I’m not sure what quality the gas is. I use 87 & usually go to Shell, sometimes Arco & Chevron. I hope that’s ok?

I’ve had the car 2 yrs now & it has abt 13,400 mi. I experienced intermittent shuddering, vibration & weird low energy feeling on starting the car since abt 9mths in, but that near stall end of Dec triggered the diagnostic code & engine light & was the hardest shaking ever. At first I thought it was ignition coils like the Elantra 😫 It took forever to dx the Elantra b/c it wasn’t doing a code until I finally got a check engine light & a hard shake like the engine wanted to fall out. Elantra was scary & would not accelerate at lights. I hope this Kona doesn’t become like the Elantra.

·
Super Moderator
1,345 Posts
As stated in the manual..
For customers who do not use TOP Tier Detergent Gasoline regularly, and have problems starting or the engine does not run smoothly, deter- gent-based fuel additives that you can purchase separately may be added to the gasoline. If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is not available, one bottle of additive added to the fuel tank according to the maintenance schedule is recommended (refer to the Maintenance Schedule in chapter 7).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts