Hyundai Kona Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Based on what? Anecdotal evidence? See, how that works both ways.

My main objective is to inform those without the skillset, knowledge and understanding what factors they should use when making a decision. There are many more than 3 or 4. Your basing that on this forum. Ask hyundai what the failure rate is of the DCT under 30k miles. Good Luck with that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I guess so, kind of tired now, can we pick this up tomorrow? :) It's a no win discussion.You have a vested interest in your DCT and I am a firm believer that the technology is not mature for use in normal driving modes.
I don't wish you bad luck. I'm just getting my point of view across. The only real way to determine this is to agree to come back here in 10 yrs and see who had more repairs and how major they were? My hyundai dealer told me that all they see is people complaining about the DCT shifting. Time will tell! Have a good nite!

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Sounds reasonable. Time will tell..

I guess so, kind of tired now, can we pick this up tomorrow? :) It's a no win discussion.You have a vested interest in your DCT and I am a firm believer that the technology is not mature for use in normal driving modes.
I don't wish you bad luck. I'm just getting my point of view across. The only real way to determine this is to agree to come back here in 10 yrs and see who had more repairs and how major they were? My hyundai dealer told me that all they see is people complaining about the DCT shifting. Time will tell! Have a good nite!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Honda and Toyota, the leaders in reliability will not put a DCT in any of their cars? why? They would rather put that crappy CVT in instead. Why? What do they know about reliability of DCT?
Ford's powershift tranny is similar dry clutch to Hyundai. we know what problems that was on fiesta and focus. They stopped making sedans/hatches, and there is a class action lawsuit. Look it up : CarComplaints.com
Well as a prior owner of a CVT, not all cvt's are the same My Jatco had no issues, even at 875k miles on the original engine and transmission.

Just like the 1.6l Turbo in the Kona is different then the Veloster's. Its still a Borg Warner, but with the k3.3 upgraded version instead of the k3.0 version. The difference between the Kona turbo and the Veloster? Upgraded shaft bearings, to fix the short coming of the veloster turbo.

And Ford did not stop making hatchbacks and sedans because of the transmission. Its because the $$$ is in the sale of Suv's, and trucks. To stay profitable, Ford and many other automotive companies have to follow where the money goes. Like what ever happened to the station wagons?

All Vehicles have issues, thats why vehicle manufacturers have warrenties. Ya'all sheep for testing. Too bad for people like me that do 80k miles a year on average, a warranty means jack **** to me. Do i expect issues with a brand new vehicle? Yes. Do i expect issues with a brand new platform? Yes, If i didn't expect problems, i must be a moron.

I guess the best way for people to decide which variation is best for them is to decide the needs and wants. A need is a requirement, like for me, rear disc brakes, and fog lamps. Then comes the wants. A want is not something you need but would like to have. Like a sunroof, wireless charging, heated seats, etc... None of the engine and transmissions models of any of the Hyundai and Kia models are particularly great. They all have their pro's and con's. So arguing your point vs another is a waste of time and effort.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Probably true. But it makes for entertaining dialog. Accepted that each platform has its own pros and cons, pointing to any one vehicle and saying that my CVT made it to 800k miles would probably be the rare exception rather than the normal distribution.
holds true for lots of things and not just cars.
not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer, and some people who get lung cancer never smoked. Doesn’t mean it’s not a smart move to give up smoking

·
Registered
319 Posts
What I find interesting about this discussion is that one side appears to be "informing" the other side that you are wrong, simply because they say so. I thought we were still living in the United States, which for the moment anyhow, is still a Republic where each of us gets to make our own decisions as to what we want to buy (or not buy as the case may be).

Information is good, and everyone is able to make their own decisions, but to state that someone(s) decisions are wrong, simply because you don't agree with them, for WHATEVER reason, is not constructive.

I'm aware that Wikipedia is crowd sourced, so therefore can have accuracy issues, but their information on DCT's I found interesting and certainly not biased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission

·
Registered
133 Posts
Information for one person is disinformation for someone else. And for every article which sites a positive, there are some which site negatives, for example, right here on this forum about 5 min ago:

And we could point to this quora article also:

You said "but to state that someone(s) decisions are wrong, simply because you don't agree with them " is incorrect, as far as we can site examples of our point. I respectively disagree.

That's what makes forums interesting. the exchange of ideas, the disagreements, the discussions, etc.

Time will determine the reliability and feasibility of the DCT. Education is only as good as the lesson learned and proven over the course of time, or the person who writes the lesson and their slant on what is correct.

Point/Counterpoint is fun! I think you may be taking this a bit too seriously. I'm happy with my choice, and my opinions are based on my personal experience with DCT and articles and videos I have watched. No more, no less.

It's always the consumer's choice. CR says Fiat is pure crap. I would agree 100%. If you love your Fiat then nothing I say will change your mind.

and that's the point!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all, for the 2020 Kona model with the 1.6L turbo engine, Car and Driver said "The seven-speed dual-clutch automatic shifts quickly and smoothly once you're rolling, but it stumbles at low speed in parking lots and in bumper-to-bumper traffic, engaging and disengaging first gear hesitantly until the driver offers more throttle input". I"m not a car person, what "stumble in low speed" mean? Am I not going to like the car? I live in an area where there is a lot of traffic during rush hour. Why does the C&D person mention 1st gear if the transmission is auto?

Thanks
If you use manual mode it's not as bad or sport mode. But in normal going less than 10 mph slowing down speeding up is like someone learning to drive stick! Lol. Love mine though??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, for the 2020 Kona model with the 1.6L turbo engine, Car and Driver said "The seven-speed dual-clutch automatic shifts quickly and smoothly once you're rolling, but it stumbles at low speed in parking lots and in bumper-to-bumper traffic, engaging and disengaging first gear hesitantly until the driver offers more throttle input". I"m not a car person, what "stumble in low speed" mean? Am I not going to like the car? I live in an area where there is a lot of traffic during rush hour. Why does the C&D person mention 1st gear if the transmission is auto?

Thanks
Ferrari's and Mclaren's have this trait also. They too don't like being driven slow. It's not an issue enjoy your Ferrari... I mean Kona!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question, I heard the 1.6T Kona is the same engine used in a KIA Soul, why such a difference in horse power?

·
Registered
44 Posts
ill take my dct tranny anyday vs cvt, my last car had it no issues, and did i read a guy quoting scotty lol hes a joke to most enthusiasts or auto workers

41 - 51 of 51 Posts