Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed the stock halogens to a more whiter halogens than factory. Since the factory ones are bad and ugly. I installed philips whitevision ultra 12V 55W and in 2 weeks i see the glass where the light beams melting. The old stock ones were the same 12V and 55W but different kelvin so not sure why it would do this.
Any idea?

·
Registered
57 Posts
A few quick thoughts:
  1. I suspect you are right, but to easily confirm can you feel the lens with the lights on to confirm it really feels that hot?
  2. If you've gone for a brighter bulb, even at the same wattage, then I expect the ratio of light to heat will naturally change. I would have thought it would mean less heat not more, if more of the 55 watts is converting to lumens, so like you I'm a little confused.
  3. I'm suspicious that the bulbs are in fact drawing more current than the old ones. Maybe they aren't supposed to, but to generate more heat I'm thinking they are. I'd be worried about the rest of your wiring, not just the lens!

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Kona SE
4 Posts
I can’t help much with the droop your casing has but I do recommend getting the Lasfit led bulbs! I base that off of your changing to a whiter light. Easy swap if your hands aren’t huge. I live in southwest Colorado and they really light everything up. I didn’t change the direction of the beam and I really like how it was factory set. It keeps the low beams not much higher than a trunk of a car, but the projection is fantastic!
Amazon has em $10 off right now :)

LASFIT Custom H7 LED Bulbs for 2014-2020 Kia Sorento 2018-2020 Hyundai Kona Optima Sorento Hyundai Veloster Plug and Play(2pcs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081BTBY1...abc_T85KV57PYHHFXF9S28EQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
759 Posts
Well, stock halogen bulbs should be 35 watt low beam, and 55 watt high beam. Which may explain the higher temps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recently changed the stock halogens to a more whiter halogens than factory. Since the factory ones are bad and ugly. I installed philips whitevision ultra 12V 55W and in 2 weeks i see the glass where the light beams melting. The old stock ones were the same 12V and 55W but different kelvin so not sure why it would do this.
Any idea?
So an UPDATE: Hyundai declined the claim saying its caused my non genuine bulb. But the fact remains the same volt and wattage and still deforming the glass. Could that be the bulbs are faulty? Or hyundai doesn’t want to take it further

1 - 10 of 10 Posts