Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that Hyundai might have tweaked or updated the Kona DCT's for 2020 based on customer feedback. Perhaps moved to a "wetter" design? Can anyone corroborate this?

·
Super Moderator
1,038 Posts
I read that Hyundai might have tweaked or updated the Kona DCT's for 2020 based on customer feedback. Perhaps moved to a "wetter" design? Can anyone corroborate this?
Seems headed for the larger more powerful engine, which makes sense.. Nothing wrong with the dry setup used currently.. The wet systems have their downsides too.. many prefer the more positive engagement of the dry system.. but the wet clutches can handle more power/heat..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. There does seem to be a bit of dissatisfaction with the current dry DCT, hard to know if this stems from user unfamiliarity or something else. As a lifelong manual shifter I find the concept of the DCT to be an interesting compromise but some reviewers and owners aren't crazy about the occasional 'gruff' starts especially in 'slow & go" traffic and from what little I understand a wet DCT would address these gripes as well as you mention more power and heat. Personally I'm holding out until they (hopefully) release an "N" version maybe with a 3rd pedal but as an older driver in Austin the idea of a DCT has some merit. Plus the "N" might come in above my pay grade so...more will be revealed.

·
Super Moderator
1,038 Posts
Thanks for your input. There does seem to be a bit of dissatisfaction with the current dry DCT, hard to know if this stems from user unfamiliarity or something else. As a lifelong manual shifter I find the concept of the DCT to be an interesting compromise but some reviewers and owners aren't crazy about the occasional 'gruff' starts especially in 'slow & go" traffic and from what little I understand a wet DCT would address these gripes as well as you mention more power and heat. Personally I'm holding out until they (hopefully) release an "N" version maybe with a 3rd pedal but as an older driver in Austin the idea of a DCT has some merit. Plus the "N" might come in above my pay grade so...more will be revealed.
Well don't miss out on a good thing.. The current DCT used on the Kona is excellent !! There is some circumstances where initial engagement can be "uneven" which can make some people take notice.. but for those who drove a manual for some time will appreciate how good the DCT really is.. Push the car and the DCT shifts quick and crisp.. drive normal and its smooth and transparent.
I bought the car because of the DCT and the Turbo combo.. No regrets.. in fact the DCT gets better with time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have also had stick shift cars since my first car in 1979. I find the the DCT a great compromise. It is awesome with the 1.6T. Plenty of power and fast crisp shifts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hyundai needs to release the 6-speed Manual in the US market. Hyundai would gain some market share. In the same class Toyota or Honda does not have one.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
This may be what Hyundai has in mind for the next series of Konas - a 6-speed clutchless manual transmission!
The Kona is said to get the new wet clutch DCT that should be in the 2021 Kona. You already have a version of the clutchless shifter, just use manual mode in your DCT right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts