Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got CEL and this message this morning on the touchscreen, but was able to drive normally to the dealer:

A possible condition with your Transmission Control System has been detected. A full system check is recommended to be done soon. Please contact your local dealership to schedule an appointment.

While I have felt like the DCT has an abnormally hard time getting into first gear an abnormally high percentage of time... I am only at about 350 miles on the odometer, so I know the thing is still in learning mode. And I'm also in the 600 mile break in period, so I've been almost exclusively using Sport mode on the streets, driving around, which makes the hesitation a lot less apparent compared to Normal mode, I've found. And I know how to drive a manual transmission - i don't creep the car, and I don't come off the brake and WHAM the gas down in one go... or any of that stuff. I just came off 11 years of driving a stick as a daily driver. So I can feel and understand the dynamics of the computer trying to anticipate what should happen, and I know from driving a stick over the years (I had other sticks in my life) that when traffic surprises me, there might be a rough moment where I am like "Woah, i wasn't expecting that guy to stop, I'm in the wrong gear totally. I need match revs, down shift, etc..... oh now he's taking off and I can also accelerate.. hard if I want to.. better shift again quick.." And so on. So I get it when the trans can get confused and be caught with its pants down, so to speak. No problem there.

What I have trouble with is consistency. Let's say, coming into a stop light, stopping fully. Then a typical acceleration after the light changes. There is so much variance in how this goes, that it just doesn't make sense to me. Sometimes it is like butter. It already has 1st gear selected on the odd side, and the clutch just rolls on and a smooth go, just like perfect pedal work on a stick. Other times, it's like the thing can't understand that it even needs to be in first gear at all, let along smoothly going into gear and delivering power.

In Normal mode this is horrific. In Sport it is mostly OK, but sometimes totally surprises me.

My Hyundai dealer was great -- they had me come in right on the spot and they had it for 2 hours while I waited. Everything checked out fine. You know that feeling where you want them to find something so they can fix it / make your car better? But then they say "You car is fantastic!" and it feels like a let down? That's kind of how I feel, but I also am optimistic that this is a transient error and not indicative of an impending failure. And I hope the consistency of the transmission improves as I put miles on the car and it does it's learning/optimization or whatever it does.

I've attached the report for the service visit.

Of major note:
  • OBD code came up as P192177 - GEAR 2 SYSTEM REFERENCING FAILURE.
    • I wasn't able to get much more about this on the internet - looks like a Hyundai specific code and the hkona site isn't up it looks like
  • Mechanic "Performed Lug Alignment"
  • Gear Actuator Reference Clutch Passed
  • Mechanic checked/went through 74 Technical Service Bulletins
  • I asked the mechanic a few questions:
    • Did you reset the learning mode of the transmission? Yes.
    • Did you reset anything else? No.
    • He seemed to acknowledge that there are issues with the transmissions, in general. He heavily emphasized how he went through those 74 known bulletins to see if I'm affected by them and he said I wasn't. And I said "you know, I have been reading about Hyundai replacing these completely" and he said "oh I don't think they would let me replace this one." (by the way, I never asked them to replace it, of course...)
I will let you guys know how it goes. Hopefully I can get out of this without more trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me offer some words of encouragement. I purchased a 2016 Tucson Ultimate new in late ‘15. It was my first vehicle with a DCT. That was when the 1.6 turbo and DCT were first introduced. Having driven just about every type of standard and automatic transmission over the years, this one was certainly different! During the first few months, I experienced similar conditions you mentioned. After several factory updates (Hyundai was learning too), and having more time driving the car; things began to improve. After driving it until last month, I liked the 1.6 turbo/DCT combination, that I purchased my 2020 Kona Ultimate after my Tucson was totaled in an accident. I picked the Kona primarily because it offered that great engine/trans combo. Having driven my Kona for a month now, I’m so happy I made that choice. Ya, it has its moments, but I look at it as another opportunity to enjoy the vehicle while I learn its traits and it learns mine! Hope you hang in there with your new ride, I think you’ll find it’s a great combination!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Don't get too down, you will most likely be getiing a new transmission very soon if it doesn't get figured out in the next couple of visits. There are a couple of NOW happy Kona owners on this site that went through DCT issues and have new transmissions that are working great after replacement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am one of the now happy Kona owners with new transmissions. I also got a warning message to get my transmission checked. The service department had to check with Hyundai, but didn't let me drive it until it was fixed. My service paperwork showed that 2 gears were not working. I had lots of trouble on starts, especially on hills, even gentle slopes. It felt for all the world like trying to start a manual transmission in 2nd gear and, yes, sport mode always started smoother.

I first thought it was just my driving after researching the DCT, but it gradually got worse and I made up my mind to get it checked and then got the email notification.

This was about a year ago and the new transmission just worked. I don't even notice that it's not a normal automatic, except for the zippy performance and great gas mileage (avg 34mpg).

As an addendum, last month I got another email from the service manager notifying me that the 2nd transmission was recalled, so they replaced it again. Hopefully, the 3rd time's the charm. Am still thrilled with the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts