Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2019 Kona Ultimate with FWD back from the having the dual clutch transmission replaced. I wanted to share the experience with all of you, since there has been some discussion about the way the DCT is different from a normal transmission with a torque converter.

First, I am not a car expert and I picked the Kona for its sporty feel, small footprint and solid tech package. I loved the way it drove coming off the lot, but did start noticing early on that the transmission didn't drive like I am used to. I read on this forun and from other sources that the DCT is unique, so I chalked up my uneven starts, delayed acceleration and engine revving to my own sorry driving. The problems got worse and I was finding myself slowing down in the middle of busy intersections with a revving engine. Then about a month ago, with under 4K on the odometer, I got an email from Hyundai Blue Link with the subject 'AUTOMATIC DTC Notification' and a message warning of 'A possible condition with your Transmission Control System....A full system check is recommended...' You get the idea.

After a trip to the dealership and 3 weeks in a loaner, I have a car that functions better than it ever did. No more hesitations on start. Shifting is perfectly smooth and acceleration is so quick that I forget to put it into Sport mode. According to the paperwork they gave me, the transmission was not entering 1st or 5th gears. Looking back, the behavior was exactly like driving a manual transmission and trying to start in 2nd gear.

If any of you are having similar issues, I strongly recommend that you have the transmission checked. When it works, it is fabulous. No more complaints here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Makes me wonder if the issues I have had with the engine reving when I am slowing down, or sometimes wondering why the car is not shifting when it should. Or lately starting from a stand still I have had the car stall trying to get moving. Like you, I just figure it was my driving. But makes me wonder is it really me or not? Bluelink hasn't said anything is wrong yet. Thanks for the info. Will keep an eye on it. Makes me a little nervous I am going to go on a trip in a week across country.

-Scott-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are not sure, I would take it in and have service check it. Mine acted up for quite a while before I got a notice from Bluelink. Stalling on start is a classic symptom when trying to start a manual transmission in 2nd gear. It always performed better in sport mode, but I think that was just compensating for the failed gear.

I feel like I have a new car and am not sure now why I didn't get it checked sooner. The car I traded for the Kona had some serious issues and that dealer's service department made me feel like an idiot for complaining about it. I know that I didn't want to go down that road again; however, Hyundai handled it wonderfully. They gave me a 2019 Tucson to drive while they got a new part from Korea. They said there was not a transmission anywhere in the US. I cannot say enough positive about the experience, in spite of the fact that I had to take a new car back for a major repair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Makes me wonder if the issues I have had with the engine reving when I am slowing down, or sometimes wondering why the car is not shifting when it should. Or lately starting from a stand still I have had the car stall trying to get moving. Like you, I just figure it was my driving. But makes me wonder is it really me or not? Bluelink hasn't said anything is wrong yet. Thanks for the info. Will keep an eye on it. Makes me a little nervous I am going to go on a trip in a week across country.

-Scott-
I had a firmware update during my last service that they said was to resolve a problem where the car might stall trying to take off, so it sounds like your problem. Get in to a *good* dealer and see if they can update your EMS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good to know info. People who have issues should post.

I had the stall trying to take off just once. It was when I first backed out of the garage into the street and started to go. If it happens again I'm sure to go to the dealer. I appreciate all the post from people who keep us informed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a firmware update during my last service that they said was to resolve a problem where the car might stall trying to take off, so it sounds like your problem. Get in to a *good* dealer and see if they can update your EMS.
I just had that yesterday while leaving a gas station! Stalled when trying to leave from a standing start. Hmmm....ok, will make an appointment to have the EMS firmware checked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is the issue I am having with mine of the same year and engine!!! I will be taking it in this week! BlueLink has not notified me of anything. Started happening right at 4,500 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just wanted to give an update. I brought the car in for its 12K service yesterday. I mentioned to the dealer about my shifting issues and the car bucking or stalling when starting (mostly from hills, but not always). I mentioned the firmware update.

Well, turns out when the technician even went to bring the car in the shop, it stalled for him when trying to start from a stop (it is a completely flat parking lot). Usually my luck is they can never experience what I do. So they looked deeper, and it appears that one of the clutches is warn down. I believe he said down to 6% left. They even talked with Hyundai Engineering. I had asked what could I have done to cause this (the car only has 12K miles on it). They said they didn't know and even engineering didn't know how it could wear down that much that fast.

So anyway, they are putting in a new clutch package. They will have it a few days since they have to take the transmission completely out to perform the repairs.

I will let you know if this actually resolves my issues.

-Scott-

·
Registered
4 Posts
Status update: The dealer had no idea how to repair, I suggested the firmware update but they said they had to go with what the Techline says, so here I am in a rental while waiting for a new transmission to arrive from Korea....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 2019 Ultimate for 5 months and it's had clutch/transmission issues. Like the others, when you start to accelerate mine seemed to be going from 1st to 3rd and would actually stall, a few times the car stalled and the engine revved because I was still trying to accelerate. Serious safety concern! They've reprogrammed the transmission, didn't fix it. Now they are saying they need to replace the clutch but they are trying to get the whole transmission replace. I'm looking at possibly another month in a rental. I love this car but it's had problems! :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got my 2019 Kona Ultimate with FWD back from the having the dual clutch transmission replaced. I wanted to share the experience with all of you, since there has been some discussion about the way the DCT is different from a normal transmission with a torque converter.

First, I am not a car expert and I picked the Kona for its sporty feel, small footprint and solid tech package. I loved the way it drove coming off the lot, but did start noticing early on that the transmission didn't drive like I am used to. I read on this forun and from other sources that the DCT is unique, so I chalked up my uneven starts, delayed acceleration and engine revving to my own sorry driving. The problems got worse and I was finding myself slowing down in the middle of busy intersections with a revving engine. Then about a month ago, with under 4K on the odometer, I got an email from Hyundai Blue Link with the subject 'AUTOMATIC DTC Notification' and a message warning of 'A possible condition with your Transmission Control System....A full system check is recommended...' You get the idea.

After a trip to the dealership and 3 weeks in a loaner, I have a car that functions better than it ever did. No more hesitations on start. Shifting is perfectly smooth and acceleration is so quick that I forget to put it into Sport mode. According to the paperwork they gave me, the transmission was not entering 1st or 5th gears. Looking back, the behavior was exactly like driving a manual transmission and trying to start in 2nd gear.

If any of you are having similar issues, I strongly recommend that you have the transmission checked. When it works, it is fabulous. No more complaints here.
My Limited does t even have 1500mi on it yet and is having the exact same issues. Hesitated and really sluggish from takeoff and almost feels as if it’s flooding. If I step on the gas more it really bogs down but if I accelerate very slow it will finally shift. I also got a check engine light and a BlueLink email stating Automatic DCT Notification.
I took it to the closest Hyundai dealership and they couldn’t get to it for, what they said, was five days. Sure enough as I drove it to the dealership it started shifting fine and the Check Engine Light went out. But again today the issue came back. After reading this post, I guess I just need to drop it off and let them have it for a while. A real disappointment, having less than 1500miles, but I can’t drive it with any confidence right now.

·
Super Moderator
262 Posts
My Limited does t even have 1500mi on it yet and is having the exact same issues. Hesitated and really sluggish from takeoff and almost feels as if it’s flooding. If I step on the gas more it really bogs down but if I accelerate very slow it will finally shift. I also got a check engine light and a BlueLink email stating Automatic DCT Notification.
I took it to the closest Hyundai dealership and they couldn’t get to it for, what they said, was five days. Sure enough as I drove it to the dealership it started shifting fine and the Check Engine Light went out. But again today the issue came back. After reading this post, I guess I just need to drop it off and let them have it for a while. A real disappointment, having less than 1500miles, but I can’t drive it with any confidence right now.

Bluelink? That means america...

Does your state have lemon law?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, but I have to allow the dealer a “reasonable number of attempts to fix it.”
I’ll be documenting all of this for sure. This is my first Hyundai, and so far I’m not impressed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I found out I needed a new transmission, I also thought I had a 'lemon.' The service manager was very nice, but he said they had to fail at fixing the problem before it could be considered a lemon. I had a car to drive, so was not really inconvenienced (except for a little time). It took a couple of weeks to get the transmission from Korea. All that said, I have been very happy with the repair. They nailed it in one. The car drives so much better that I hardly notice it is a DCT.
If it goes bad again, that's another discussion. Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another update... I am still in a loaner while they work on my car. It has gone from replacing the clutch package to now they are putting in a new transmission. Hopefully I will have my car in working order next week. :(

This is also my first Hyundai. I will wait and see how this plays out. I am not going to be happy if I am constantly having transmission issues. Time will tell.

I am a little nervous with in theory getting my car back next week with a new transmission in it, and then less than a week later I am scheduled to travel 2000 miles in the car for a trip to see family. Do new transmissions need a break in period? I don't want to be stranded and have issues that far from home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another update... I am still in a loaner while they work on my car. It has gone from replacing the clutch package to now they are putting in a new transmission. Hopefully I will have my car in working order next week. :(

This is also my first Hyundai. I will wait and see how this plays out. I am not going to be happy if I am constantly having transmission issues. Time will tell.

I am a little nervous with in theory getting my car back next week with a new transmission in it, and then less than a week later I am scheduled to travel 2000 miles in the car for a trip to see family. Do new transmissions need a break in period? I don't want to be stranded and have issues that far from home.
It may depend on how good the service department is, but I have had my new transmission for over a month and no issues with it. Smooth as silk from the beginning.
That said, I have noticed a bit less MPG. It feels like they bumped up the idle speed, which is helping with take off, especially on hills. Would be interested to know if they do that with yours as well.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
About this Discussion
94 Replies
19 Participants
Mainia1
Hyundai Kona Forum
Hyundai Kona Forum - the best place to talk about the new Hyundai Kona, the new city SUV and its upcoming Kia twin!
Full Forum Listing