Hyundai Kona Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have my Kona Ultimate AWD for 3 weeks and just discovered no spare tire. Called dealer and they are not sure if spare used on lower models will fit the Ultimate AWD. Has anyone found a spare tire kit for Ultimate AWD? I can't believe Hyundai has eliminated the spare. Worse yet, I was never told there was not spare. I looked under the rear cargo mat and found a small compressor and can of sealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kona Spare Tire Kit

I checked with parts in various dealerships. Sone don’t even have a part listed for the 2018 or 2019 Kona Ultimate for a spare tire. So I found this site that list a SKU Number VO28 for a spare tire kit for both years, but at the very bottom it says will not work with 18” wheels. So I wrote corporate headquarters on May 9,2019 asking then when and if they plan to come out with a kit,

https://hyundaishop.com/2018-2019-hyundai-kona-spare-tire-kit-v028/

·
Super Moderator
952 Posts
Have my Kona Ultimate AWD for 3 weeks and just discovered no spare tire. Called dealer and they are not sure if spare used on lower models will fit the Ultimate AWD. Has anyone found a spare tire kit for Ultimate AWD? I can't believe Hyundai has eliminated the spare. Worse yet, I was never told there was not spare. I looked under the rear cargo mat and found a small compressor and can of sealer.
The compact spare tires are smaller in size.. AWD system can be damaged by using a different sized tire.
My 2018 FWD limited has a compact spare

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine is a compact spare also, we have had other Hyundai cars (Veloster was one) that didn't come with a tire, just a pump and sealant. This was the first thing I actually looked for on our Kona, the compact spare/jack kits aren't cheap!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Our 2019 Limited, FWD, has a compact spare.
I have the same car, love mine, only problem for me now is I'm having a hard time finding a hold down bolt for the spare donut tire. Did yours come with a spare or did you change to one. Please let me know where you got the bolt, if you did. Appreciate it very much. That dam bolt is elusive for me to find. Thanks, Scrat/jjr1947

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine is a compact spare also, we have had other Hyundai cars (Veloster was one) that didn't come with a tire, just a pump and sealant. This was the first thing I actually looked for on our Kona, the compact spare/jack kits aren't cheap!
Can you give me the size of the donut that's there, appreciate it. Thanks, Scrat/jjr1947

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. Purchased a 2020 Limited AWD for my wife, did not come with a spare tire. Can anyone with a Limited/Ultimate AWD confirm which spare tire kit fits and the donut tire size?

·
Super Moderator
271 Posts
Hi. Purchased a 2020 Limited AWD for my wife, did not come with a spare tire. Can anyone with a Limited/Ultimate AWD confirm which spare tire kit fits and the donut tire size?
People selling them from the 2018's on ebay

·
Registered
11 Posts
People selling them from the 2018's on ebay

Thanks, but still need confirmation that a particular spare tire kit part # definitively fits the Limited/Ultimate AWD. I read all of the spare tire threads and nothing confirmed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks, but still need confirmation that a particular spare tire kit part # definitively fits the Limited/Ultimate AWD. I read all of the spare tire threads and nothing confirmed.
I bought a compact spare from the dealer for my 2020 Limited AWD before I picked up the car. I did not want to mess around with finding the right size. I can confirm what Bebop posted that the size is T125//80D16 and regular tire is 235 45/R18 98V. It came with the foam insert, tools, retaining screw and the dealer mounted the tire on the rim for me. It comes with 3 replacement door jam stickers that indicate the spare tire size and possible regular tire sizes. One sticker had the 235 45/R18 as the regular tires...I easily peeled off the original sticker that said NO SPARE and put that one on. That also confirms it is the right size spare. Being an AWD, you don't want to drive with it on for very long, but you shouldn't even with FWD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After tons of canned responses from hyundai and eventually just ordering the spare for the Sonata, I finally managed to get them to correct the Kona spare tire listing for on the hyundaishop website (which is what they ultimately sent me). As others have pointed out, the listing was originally for the 15" spare even though the owner's manual states it should be 16". The listing still shows that the tire is a T125/80D15, which wouldn't fit on the 16" wheel if you tried, but I've received the spare and can confirm both are in fact 16".

·
Registered
3 Posts
From a more international aspect, just got off the phone with my dealer (I got a Kona Premium SE 2 weeks ago), and they don't stock spare tyres for any 2019/2020 models any more. The guy said it saves weight and lessens emissions. So unless people want to get an "imitation" and take up boot space etc it's the compressor.

BMNAF

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can pretty much verify that only a full size replacement O.E. wheel & tire is an option as a spare and will not fit in the spare compartment. Like others have said, the spare tire kits sold online are not the same rolling size but will fit in the spare compartment. It's just that you may incur damage to the drive line if you use the online kit. It makes since seeing the Ultimate AWD has a higher ground clearance, some of that made up with a tire that is taller. It also makes since they didn't change the spare compartment to accommodate the larger tire, that would have meant a complete restructure of the rear end of the car. I don't agree with them blowing smoke up my a$$ saying it is for better fuel economy and weight when I know it was because the larger tire won't fit in the spare compartment. All that being said, I keep a plug kit with the goo and blow kit and am probably going to mount my full size (when I find one) on my roof rails. So to sum it up there isn't a spare for the Kona Ultimate AWD that will fit neatly in the provided spare compartment that will play nice with your car.

·
Registered
890 Posts
WARNING *. The AWD Kona can NOT use the factory spare that is a 24 inch tire. The Ultimate and Limited in the US is a 26.3 inch tire and the 2.0 liter AWD has a 25.7 or 25.9 inch tire. We had a member of this site take out a transfer case by using the spare. The max tire size that can fit in the back spare tub is 24 inches.

The AWD Kona should be flat bedded or dollied if towed by a conventional tow truck. oThe other option is leave your car on the road and get someone to pick you up and bring the tire to the tire store and go back to the car with the patched tire/new tire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got the full size spare in, pics attached. Still working on anchoring the spare down. Going to see if I can use my smoothing bit on my air hammer to knock down the ribs in the spare tire well a bit so I can get the lid to close better, only need about 1 inch. Total cost for Plug kit, jack kit, factory wheel w/TMS and matching Goodyear was $519 compared to around $300 for the temp spare setup and I can rotate my spare with the other tires and don't have to worry about how long or fast I can travel. It also looks like the temp take up as much room with the lid not closing as the factory wheel and tire.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ok, I found out what to do for us AWD Limited and Ultimate cars. The outside diameter of the AWD SE/SEL MAY have a small difference in outside diameter in what ever size tire they run, you will have to see if this size fits. It may but, I have not researched it since I don't have that tire size.

The outside diameter of the 235/45 18 is 26.3 and the outside diameter of the 145/90 16 temporary spare is 26.28 for a tire calculate I saw. Yet Hyundai seems to be pushing the 125/80 16 tire to Kona owners. That's what came in mine shipped from another dealer out of state where mine had to shipped in from.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Falken&tireModel=FK-090&partnum=49MD6FK090

·
Registered
167 Posts
WARNING *. The AWD Kona can NOT use the factory spare that is a 24 inch tire. The Ultimate and Limited in the US is a 26.3 inch tire and the 2.0 liter AWD has a 25.7 or 25.9 inch tire. We had a member of this site take out a transfer case by using the spare. The max tire size that can fit in the back spare tub is 24 inches.

The AWD Kona should be flat bedded or dollied if towed by a conventional tow truck. oThe other option is leave your car on the road and get someone to pick you up and bring the tire to the tire store and go back to the car with the patched tire/new tire.
Huh? My Canadian Ultimate AWD came with a spare...

·
Registered
36 Posts
It seems some dealers may be putting temp spare kits in the higher trim Kona's in place of the tire mobility kit. So those of you with the higher trim package might want to check with your dealer and verify it wont damage the drive train. It doesn't seem this would be a wise thing for the dealers to do.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts