Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Carry one of these kits. I was an auto tech for many years I remember when these plugs came out a guy drove into out shop to sell these he had over 100 plugs in a tire on his car including the side wall instant sell.

These have saved me quite a few times you already have the compressor in the car kit roll the vehicle find the hole and insert. It is acually easier then changing out the tire on the road. Yes its not going to work for a complete blow out.

While I do not condone this as a permenant repair I have seen tires with plugs go to end of life and then some.

10 bucks might just save your butt.

https://shop.slime.com/products/deluxe-tire-plug-kit-glue-11pc?variant=47566683656

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Yep a professional Tire Plug Kit works wonders. I keep one in each car along with a compressor.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Kona model in Australia is the Highlander which is top of the range with 18 inch wheels.
I was not happy with a space saver as I intend to drive my Kona into the outback which is desolate and rough country so after checking around as I have been in the motor trade for over 50 years my Kona is fitted with 18 x 7.5 mags with tyres 235/45/18 so I found a Hyundai i30 mag which was 16 x 6.5 and used tyre 225/60/16 which gave me the same rolling diameter and I saved 1 inch in height when fitted in the rear. I did away with parcel compartment tray and what was in that now fits into the spare mag centre and rear boot floor fits into the slots and rear of floor sits up approx. 10mm nothing to worry about well worth not having stupid space saver.
Also had to fit longer centre thread to secure spare wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am bummed out that my 2019 Kona does not have a compact spare. It's one of the reasons I got rd of my Mini Cooper. Didn't even think to ask, and dealer said after I signed sealed and delivered, "I think t has a spare." When I threatened to invoke the 3 day return policy he said not in Connecticut! He did think they'd be coming out with one, but I really woder if it will fit in the spare well with 18" wheels. I only need it for really long drives because I have 100 mile AAA tow which gives me a 200 mile range. But even still, it's nice to know that when you've got an unfixable flat at 10 PM in some remote place you can either change the tire yourself or get road service and be on your way and ot have to deal with towing.

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is a FWD model. Kind of weird to leave out the spare on the more pricey AWD?
It does seem weird as you're more likely to have a blowout when off-pavement. It might have something to do with AWD systems being very picky about the circumference of the tires. Perhaps the space saver spare is a different circumference than the other four tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's expensive, but here is the kit from Hyundai:
The Hyundai Kona Spare Tire Kit Includes:
Steel Wheel
Mounted Spare Tire
Jack
Jack lift handle
Lug nut wrench
Hard Foam Tool Case
Tire Valve Stem
Tire Pressure Label
Mounting Plate Screw to secure the kit inside trunk
The Hyundai Kona Spare Tire Kit will fit the 2018 and 2019 model years!

https://hyundaishop.com/2018-2019-hyundai-kona-spare-tire-kit-v028/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx_CyvcmO4QIVA4_ICh22jg6cEAQYASABEgJgFvD_BwE

It's not recommended for the Limited or Ultimate...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
914 Posts
It does seem weird as you're more likely to have a blowout when off-pavement. It might have something to do with AWD systems being very picky about the circumference of the tires. Perhaps the space saver spare is a different circumference than the other four tires.
The tire diameter must be the same on an AWD car for the system to function properly.. You will
Wear out the clutch packs in the diff/transfer case in short order otherwise. You would need a full size spare for AWD.
Some part time AWD systems use a viscous coupling to transfer power and can overheat from
Using different size tires..

21 - 40 of 54 Posts