Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Super Moderator
276 Posts
They removed it in some markets for the MY18/19
More so on the MY19.

Mostly fix a flat and a pump are included.

The MY18 I have, included a space saver spare.

The space has not been changed, so if you can find one of the space savers, you should be able to fit it.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
You can purchase one thru the Hyundai Shop for a fairly reasonable price. It's not listed specifically on the site but you can contact them as it is a stocked item. 888-416-4073 .https://hyundaishop.com/ There prices generally less than most other OEM Accessory Shops. Ask for a Hyundai Kona Spare Tire Kit. This will come with the jack, tools, foam tool holder, and compact spare as in the 2018 model.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
108 Posts
My '18 Ultimate came with a space saver spare that I replaced with a full size to match my winter tires since the pot holes around here are usually wheel/tire killers I didn't want to have to wait for a replacement to come in if/when the worst happens...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello I have just got rid of the space saver and added a mag wheel as a spare if you want sizes and tye sizes etc let me know. regards colin

·
Registered
1 Posts
My AWD has a compact spare. I'm not aware of any compact spare that has the same rolling diameter as the original tire. Unless you have a tiny car. It is meant for emergency use not long term.
What model is your "AWD", what is the size of the original tires and what size is the spare. Pictures would be nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Carry one of these kits. I was an auto tech for many years I remember when these plugs came out a guy drove into out shop to sell these he had over 100 plugs in a tire on his car including the side wall instant sell.

These have saved me quite a few times you already have the compressor in the car kit roll the vehicle find the hole and insert. It is acually easier then changing out the tire on the road. Yes its not going to work for a complete blow out.

While I do not condone this as a permenant repair I have seen tires with plugs go to end of life and then some.

10 bucks might just save your butt.

https://shop.slime.com/products/deluxe-tire-plug-kit-glue-11pc?variant=47566683656

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Yep a professional Tire Plug Kit works wonders. I keep one in each car along with a compressor.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
238 Posts
Plugs and a compressor a lot better than nothing. They get me back to town to where I can get a more permanent repair.

·
Super Moderator
477 Posts
While I do not condone this as a permenant repair I have seen tires with plugs go to end of life and then some.

I have plugged few tires myself and they did lasted the life of the tire. They were nail punctures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was not happy with a space saver as I intend to drive my Kona into the outback which is desolate and rough country so after checking around as I have been in the motor trade for over 50 years my Kona is fitted with 18 x 7.5 mags with tyres 235/45/18 so I found a Hyundai i30 mag which was 16 x 6.5 and used tyre 225/60/16 which gave me the same rolling diameter and I saved 1 inch in height when fitted in the rear. I did away with parcel compartment tray and what was in that now fits into the spare mag centre and rear boot floor fits into the slots and rear of floor sits up approx. 10mm nothing to worry about well worth not having stupid space saver.
Also had to fit longer centre thread to secure spare wheel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Kona model in Australia is the Highlander which is top of the range with 18 inch wheels.
I was not happy with a space saver as I intend to drive my Kona into the outback which is desolate and rough country so after checking around as I have been in the motor trade for over 50 years my Kona is fitted with 18 x 7.5 mags with tyres 235/45/18 so I found a Hyundai i30 mag which was 16 x 6.5 and used tyre 225/60/16 which gave me the same rolling diameter and I saved 1 inch in height when fitted in the rear. I did away with parcel compartment tray and what was in that now fits into the spare mag centre and rear boot floor fits into the slots and rear of floor sits up approx. 10mm nothing to worry about well worth not having stupid space saver.
Also had to fit longer centre thread to secure spare wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am bummed out that my 2019 Kona does not have a compact spare. It's one of the reasons I got rd of my Mini Cooper. Didn't even think to ask, and dealer said after I signed sealed and delivered, "I think t has a spare." When I threatened to invoke the 3 day return policy he said not in Connecticut! He did think they'd be coming out with one, but I really woder if it will fit in the spare well with 18" wheels. I only need it for really long drives because I have 100 mile AAA tow which gives me a 200 mile range. But even still, it's nice to know that when you've got an unfixable flat at 10 PM in some remote place you can either change the tire yourself or get road service and be on your way and ot have to deal with towing.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts