Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a spare tire kit for a 2019 Kona Ultimate AWD. For this model year Hyundai gives you the "tire mobility kit" which is, IMO, next to useless.

Can anyone with an ultimate (18" wheels) tell me what size their spare is? I want to buy a spare kit with jack and all, but cannot find one online for this Kona specifically.
According to the manual, this car calls for a T125//80D16 mini-spare. I imagine that is only for the models with 16" or 17" tires though. Does a D17 or D18 even fit in the spare tire well in the trunk?

Appreciate any help from a 2018 Kona that has a spare and 18" factory wheel/tires. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
My AWD has a compact spare. I'm not aware of any compact spare that has the same rolling diameter as the original tire. Unless you have a tiny car. It is meant for emergency use not long term.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wheels on the 2019 Ultimate are still 18", no 19" wheels (in the US anyway). I just checked on the Hyundai USA website to be sure.

My last car was AWD and had a mini spare that was the exact same rolling radius as the original wheels. This is why I am so weirded out by this.
I really want to order a spare ASAP but need to be sure this is meant to be this way. I don't see a spare tire kit available for the 2019 Konas at all yet either, so no way to confirm.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
My 2018 ultimate has the 18" with compact spare. I think Hyundai is cutting costly not having a spare for 2019.

For some reason, Canadian models usually get the inflator while USA models get the spare. The USA 2019 models no longer have spare?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2018 ultimate has the 18" with compact spare. I think Hyundai is cutting costly not having a spare for 2019.

For some reason, Canadian models usually get the inflator while USA models get the spare. The USA 2019 models no longer have spare?
I can confirm that the 2018 Ultimate models do not have the spare (they have the spare and the goop, which in my experience is next to useless).
I believe, but cannot confirm, that the lower end trims DO still have the spare for 2019 (WTF Hyundai?!)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I can confirm that the 2018 Ultimate models do not have the spare (they have the spare and the goop, which in my experience is next to useless).
I believe, but cannot confirm, that the lower end trims DO still have the spare for 2019 (WTF Hyundai?!)
My 2019 SE (USA) came with a compact spare tire

The 2019 feature list shows

Compact Temporary Spare Tire (SE) S, (SEL) S, (Limited) S (FWD), and (Ultimate) S (FWD)

https://newspress-hyundai.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/original/34300-2019KonaFeaturesPPReview.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually the list shows that there is no spare tire on the AWD models (it says tire mobility kit instead).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, so like I said, NO SPARE according to the chart in the AWD models for 2019.
Tire mobility kit = an air compressor along with a can of fix-a-flat type material.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Our 2018 Ultimate does have a compact spare. No tire expansion filler either.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
116 Posts
Weird. My 2018 Limited AWD came with a spare. Sucks if they're finally caving to the standard of a can of fix-a-flat and best wishes. : /

Having a spare was part of my decision to buy this car.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
You can purchase the compact rim and tire/tool set off of eBay. I've seen them listed. I presume there is still a well for the tire in the 2019 Kona.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Way to go, good thinking!

Blessing and Peace

·
Registered
1 Posts
My AWD has a compact spare. I'm not aware of any compact spare that has the same rolling diameter as the original tire. Unless you have a tiny car. It is meant for emergency use not long term.
What model is your "AWD", what is the size of the original tires and what size is the spare. Pictures would be nice.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts