Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I read this in a review of the 2019 Kona: "The steering is perhaps the Kona's biggest dynamic downfall: it's an uncommunicative helm that requires frequent corrections when cruising the highway despite its heavy-weighted feel". Do people find this true? Kind of scary to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No problem w/my 18 SE AWD @ 80mph for hrs @ a time. I use the TPMS frequently to be sure of correct TP in all 4 tires as per mfg spec on placard.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We do notice just a bit more steering adjustment/correction on the highway in our 2019 Limited FWD, than would be expected on a longer wheel base vehicle, which is what we've been used to driving, but it is by no means a downfall for the vehicle. Remember, it is a relatively short wheel base, so keep that in mind, but ultimately, you ought to take a test drive for yourself, rather than eliminate a great vehicle based on a review.

I think if you check Motor Trend, Car & Driver, reviews etc, you'll find it's by far the best in it's class of small CUV/SUV's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you're absolutely right i should see for myself on a test drive. but its hard to go on the highway and reach high speeds on a test drive. alot of times there is traffic.

·
Registered
341 Posts
you're absolutely right i should see for myself on a test drive. but its hard to go on the highway and reach high speeds on a test drive. alot of times there is traffic.
Everyone's priorities are different, but I personally would never consider buying a vehicle without a test drive, during the daytime, during the night time, and also on the freeway at highway speeds. The night time test drive is really important (IMO) to see how all the lights work, both inside and outside the vehicle. You want to be sure they are working well, especially in today's LED lights where there are some real compromise being made. IMO any reputable dealer will agree with you if you tell them what your requirements are ahead of test drive time.

The hardest part of this process is that in most cases you're going to have to either go to 2 different dealers to do the 2 test drives or back to the same dealer twice.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hi all, I read this in a review of the 2019 Kona: "The steering is perhaps the Kona's biggest dynamic downfall: it's an uncommunicative helm that requires frequent corrections when cruising the highway despite its heavy-weighted feel". Do people find this true? Kind of scary to me.
When my car was stock, I never had to over correct on the hwy, the article writer could of had a Kona that did not have enough toe in, in the front and it was "hunting". As far a numb... yes, after semi solid bushings, springs and lowering it 2 inches, some of that numbness is long gone.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
No feel for the direction where your tires are pointed/tracking, lack of input from the tires.To counter that, as per my car and post above. But with that comes a rougher ride and some slam inputs to the wheel and chassis. The Kona bushings are soft in temperatures above 65F/18C.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hear ya !! I read reviews that said the same thing about "numb" steering. Does anyone know if this has electric assist or something other than a "standard" hydraulic assist?

Depending on the model you get, the Kona can have Lane Keep Assist that will actually help keep the car in between the lines on the road by applying small amounts of steering to the wheel automatically. You can set it to turn off the steering correction and even have different levels of correction.

I do find that the steering is kinda numb and doesn't give real good feedback. It is a bit light (force to rotate steering wheel), but it doesn't detract from the ride for me.

Like dklanecky1 said, go test drive one and see if you like it.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
the steering is electric assist.

I hear ya !! I read reviews that said the same thing about "numb" steering. Does anyone know if this has electric assist or something other than a "standard" hydraulic assist?

Depending on the model you get, the Kona can have Lane Keep Assist that will actually help keep the car in between the lines on the road by applying small amounts of steering to the wheel automatically. You can set it to turn off the steering correction and even have different levels of correction.

I do find that the steering is kinda numb and doesn't give real good feedback. It is a bit light (force to rotate steering wheel), but it doesn't detract from the ride for me.

Like dklanecky1 said, go test drive one and see if you like it.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
Just another persons opinion, don’t forget these columnists write for a living and need to say something.. Find another article to read that says the Kona is fun to drive and has fast reflexes.. Nothing scary or wrong with the way the car drives and feels..
You would be far better off test driving one than reading about it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The electric steering in the Kona was not design for any form of sport driving doesn't help, but most cars use electric power assist steering these days. It would be nice to see if the Hyundai Elantra N-Line (non true N) with it's redesigned algorithm and change of gear ratio would help. Of course if we see a True Hyundai Kona N or even a Hyundai Kona N-Line that should be in those models too.

·
Super Moderator
1,233 Posts
For the veloster N, The steering assist motor is mounted directly to the steering rack, Like it should be. It’s less expensive to mount it inside on the column protected from the elements.

The electric steering in the Kona was not design for any form of sport driving doesn't help, but most cars use electric power assist steering these days. It would be nice to see if the Hyundai Elantra N-Line (non true N) with it's redesgned algorithm and change of gear ratio would help. Of cource if we see a True Hyundai Kona N or even a Hyundai Kona N-Line that should be in those models too.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My dealer would let me take it overnight. Not much traffic at Midnight.
That's the way to do it to get some more time on it and without the stress of heavy traffic. Go back and it has 200 miles more on the odometer, ......"can I look at that silver one".

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have driven my 2018 Kona 1AWD 6,000 miles. At first, the electric steering was annoying as it always seemed to be hunting for the correct direction to travel; worse that the previous 3 cars I owned with electric assist steering. This is my first AWD vehicle. However, I now don't notice it at all. Either I've become completely accustomed to it (**** Sapien is extremely adaptable), or it's gotten better over time. At the moment, my right rear tire is over-pressured at 40 psi, but I don't think that has any effect on it. I personally prefer my vehicle to pull ever so slightly to the right, probably a throwback of starting driving at age 15, in 1956, 63 years ago when cars did pull to the right and no steering assist. My advice. Don't pay too much attention to reviews period. I usually buy my car first, read reviews afterwards to see if anyone else likes the same things i like in a car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
whenever I take a test drive I insist on driving a route on roads I'm familiar with and know what to look for and compare it with other cars. My Hyundai dealer is in MD and let's me take cars home (in PA) over familiar roads, about a 70 mile roundtrip. If they want to sell a car, make it on your terms. They even took my prior car, an '18 Elantra Sport on display with a big red bowribbon on the roof, off the showroom floor so I could take it home for my test drive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have an AWD SE and haven't noticed anything, it does stiffen the steering in sport mode but I've gotten so used to it in normal I don't like it shifting late and the steering feels better on normal to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts