Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my 2019 SEL for just over 2 months now and love just about everything that it has to offer. However, this transmission is driving me insane. I can’t go for one drive without it clunking around and trying to find what gear it wants to be in.

Higher speed travel is perfectly fine and the car drives like butter. At lower speeds, especially in stop ‘n go traffic, I’ll let off the gas and when I go to put pressure back on it, it’ll have a very noticeable 2-3 clunks where I can feel it searching where it needs to be in gear at. This is also noticeable when moving from a complete stop, unless I give it gas ever so slightly.

I’m coming from driving a Prius and it’s CVT for over 6 years, now. So, maybe I just got so used to the feel of that. Although, I drive my wife’s 2016 Sorento from time to time and the transmission always glides from one gear to the next. I’ll also note that my Kona will burn through the lower gears at a quick pace. By 15MPH, I’m already in 3rd. It just feels a bit odd, since the RPMs never increase much, prior to the first few initial shifts.

I do have a service appointment later this week, so I’ll be bringing it up. In the meantime, I’m considering resetting the ECM by means of unplugging the negative battery terminal for 15-20 mins. Possibly that’ll help it ‘relearn’ when it should shift...correct me if I’m wrong.

Anyone else experience similar issues?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Don't recall anyone else having an issue with the Hyundai 6 speed automatic. Resetting the ECM is a good idea, but I wonder if you'll also reset any error codes that might be stored, making it harder for the dealer to diagnose what the issue actually is on your car? Obviously your vehicle, but if you can live with it a bit longer, and then take it to the dealer, that's what I would do if it were mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m at 4,500 miles now, and just started having this issue on my 2019 Ultimate. I guess I’ll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The SEL and Ultimates have different transmissions, so any similarity in bad behavior could be related to something else.

My SE (with the 6 speed) has been very good from day one. I'm at around 9500 miles now in a year of ownership. The only issue I've had is an inconsistent noise at initial start-up that only happens sometimes when the engine is cold. That would be very hard to show to the dealer so I'm hoping to record it with my phone before I take it in.

·
Super Moderator
957 Posts
As @Sarkus mentioned, You have a 7-speed DCT transmission which is basically a manual that is automated.
The DCT works and feels differently than a conventional trans with a fluid coupling.
You might want to read up on it before you take it in.. Also the DCT makes some odd noises
after startup and when driving..

I’m at 4,500 miles now, and just started having this issue on my 2019 Ultimate. I guess I’ll be taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s been running just fine, then on my way home from a road trip I went to take off and it barely took off, then I was able to put the pedal to the floor and it did nothing. Finally after pumping the gas a couple times it “caught” and took off. No issues at higher speeds at all, but lower speeds and taking off this has now happened multiple times. I decided to switch it to sport mode and it doesn’t seem to happen then but I don’t need to drive in sport mode all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve had my 2019 SEL for just over 2 months now and love just about everything that it has to offer. However, this transmission is driving me insane. I can’t go for one drive without it clunking around and trying to find what gear it wants to be in.

Higher speed travel is perfectly fine and the car drives like butter. At lower speeds, especially in stop ‘n go traffic, I’ll let off the gas and when I go to put pressure back on it, it’ll have a very noticeable 2-3 clunks where I can feel it searching where it needs to be in gear at. This is also noticeable when moving from a complete stop, unless I give it gas ever so slightly.

I’m coming from driving a Prius and it’s CVT for over 6 years, now. So, maybe I just got so used to the feel of that. Although, I drive my wife’s 2016 Sorento from time to time and the transmission always glides from one gear to the next. I’ll also note that my Kona will burn through the lower gears at a quick pace. By 15MPH, I’m already in 3rd. It just feels a bit odd, since the RPMs never increase much, prior to the first few initial shifts.

I do have a service appointment later this week, so I’ll be bringing it up. In the meantime, I’m considering resetting the ECM by means of unplugging the negative battery terminal for 15-20 mins. Possibly that’ll help it ‘relearn’ when it should shift...correct me if I’m wrong.

Have 2019 sel with only 1100 miles and 7 months ownership and starting to notice transmission problems. Worst so far was after leaving a stop sign . pushed down on gas pedal and barely moved , backed off and gave it more on the pedal and slight lurch and took off like crazy ..Something definitely not right ..Taking it out this weekend and going to pay real close attention .Not looking forward to having to go to dealership if their is definite problem .They always give you the look like your telling them you saw a UFO .

·
Registered
8 Posts

My issue is that the shift intermittently will get stuck in park, I don't know why I took it to dealer they can't recreate or get erra code the car resets it self. They say I should have it towed to them when it happens but sometimes it's not convenient for me so I have to override the shift and unlocked it so I can drive...it also shorts out the inside door lock trunk lock and Led light....I can't get any one to help my car is a year old.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The SEL and Ultimates have different transmissions, so any similarity in bad behavior could be related to something else.

My SE (with the 6 speed) has been very good from day one. I'm at around 9500 miles now in a year of ownership. The only issue I've had is an inconsistent noise at initial start-up that only happens sometimes when the engine is cold. That would be very hard to show to the dealer so I'm hoping to record it with my phone before I take it in.
I also have a 2019 kona base model. I have been having this clunk from 1st to second gear when first starting the car. once running car is as smooth as can be. I'll be mentioning this at my next oil change, but interesting to see others with same type of issue. also have a wierd moaning/clicking noise while reversing. The problem is this is not consistant.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s been running just fine, then on my way home from a road trip I went to take off and it barely took off, then I was able to put the pedal to the floor and it did nothing. Finally after pumping the gas a couple times it “caught” and took off. No issues at higher speeds at all, but lower speeds and taking off this has now happened multiple times. I decided to switch it to sport mode and it doesn’t seem to happen then but I don’t need to drive in sport mode all the time.
I started experiencing the same problem with my 2019 Kona Ultimate at about 4,500 miles. Transmission is jerky and lurches at slow speeds. No problem when I switch to sports mode. I finally got my car into the dealership and service manager says entire transmission has to be replaced. He said he's never encountered this problem with a Kona before. I'll update post when I get my car back in a couple of weeks with the new transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started experiencing the same problem with my 2019 Kona Ultimate at about 4,500 miles. Transmission is jerky and lurches at slow speeds. No problem when I switch to sports mode. I finally got my car into the dealership and service manager says entire transmission has to be replaced. He said he's never encountered this problem with a Kona before. I'll update post when I get my car back in a couple of weeks with the new transmission.
I have the same exact problem at 6900 miles. Just got the same news that you got. It was getting really loud. Making a wine noise. The mechanic said the axle was coming out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts