Hyundai Kona Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update - another Hyundai dealer looked at the car, as per the recommendation from Hyundai Corporate. They took this much more seriously and kept it for 3 days, but I ended up in the same situation. Basically, they can't do ANYTHING unless they can reproduce the problem (which is too random for it to happen exactly when they are driving it.) So now it's going back to the original dealer's service team tomorrow for one final attempt at solving the problem. Then I guess back to Corporate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey Gang - final update and thanks to those who have helped.

After 2 months of hassle and safety issues, the KONA IS GONE!!!! Traded it for a Honday HR-V. After 2 months, several days off work, multiple dealers and mechanics, and 3 cases with to Huyndai corporate, the response was to keep driving the car until the transmission slammed again and drive to a dealer "if it was safe to do so" - and let them see it. As my wife refuses to take her Kona on the highway any more, I had no choice but to get rid of it. I traded it in for the Honda HR-V at a $6000 loss. To put a final insult in, Hyundai corporate called me today and said " we are sorry about the smell in your car - we can shampoo the interior for free." So they finally called back after 2 weeks, and didn't even have the right issue for my car. From the dealer, to the service team to corporate, Hyundai seems to juggle you around and hope you go away. In my case, it worked because I could not put my wife's safety on the line. I know Hyundai could care less about me, but they have lost 1 customer. Thank you Hyundia for the pleasure of spending $6000 do drive the car for 6 months! Hope the rest of you have better luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm glad you got a resolution you can deal with even if it wasn't ideal. I'm interested to know if the $6k loss you took was because you told the Honda dealer why you were getting rid of the Kona? I recommended looking at "lemon laws' because that way you wouldn't have taken the big loss, but if it works for you then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi - the $6K loss seemed to be just normal depreciation of a new car. KBB said the Kona SEL Tech Package was worth $19,700 - they gave us $18,000 for the trade and I was glad to be done with it. I probably could have pursued the lemon law path, but my wife needed a vehicle she could take on the highway. They only asked a few questions about the transmission issue. I had to tell them in good conscience what the car was doing. That could be why the off was a bit lower, but at that point I didn't care.

To WAYNORTH from the post above, sorry about your transmission. Glad you are getting it covered. But in a world with Toyota and Honda as the competition, I think Hyundai needs to up their game. Hopefully you won't have any other issues! Best of luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Folks, new to the Kona forum. Here is my issue:
Have a new 2019 Kone SEL w/Tech package. 6 months old with only 5100 miles. Twice now while driving on the highway 60-65 MPH, it will suddenly SLAM (and I mean SLAM!!) into 3rd gear (if there really is a 3rd gear with this transmission ?) It feels like you hit a 6 inch deep pot hole, and then stays in 3rd gear, jarring down to 50 mph with high rev's. A warning goes up for a split second (not long enough to read) then 1/2 second later is slams into a low gear and will not come out of the low gear unless I pull over and shut the car off. Then is seems fine a few weeks. The dealer found no error codes and told me if it does it again to drive it as-is directly to the service bay without shutting it off or putting it in part - which is hard to do depending on where I am.

I searched for this issue we are having but could not see one. But the service tech at my dealer tells me they are seeing this now pm 2019 Kona's and there may be yet another class action suit.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Just had this happen to me today 02/11/2020 on 2019 kona with 2.0L engine at 7 thousand miles. Dealer immediately said sounds like 'inhibitor switch', we have one in stock hyundai 427003b700qqh. They changed it, test drove it and sent me on my way. So far so good>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That's great news! I hope it works out for you! The 3 Hyundai techs that looked at my car had no clue. "If it doesn't put out an error code, we can't do anything." Heard that over and over, even from Corporate. This is a common problem Hyundai has. You think a large company like them would have a database they could to do and make a few attempts.to fix certain things. But they simply will not make that effort. Good luck with your transmission! I hope you get this resolved!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks folks! I did indeed make an appointment at another dealer as the Hyundai Corporate guy said - the hope is they may have a technician that has seen this before. This is apparently an issue Hyundai has had going back almost 6 years so this is not as new as I thought. I"m going to tell the service person all the things noted above to look at. I'll keep everyone posted. My hopes are not high at this point but we'll see. I will also look into the Massachusetts Lemon law and see what that states! Truly appreciate all the input!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I experienced the same issue with my 2019 with only 1970 miles. On the final 5 miles of a 300 mile trip it felt like I hit the biggest pothole ever or ran over something large. It was neither and my Kona SLAMed into 4th gear and would not change gears. Fortunately I was only a couple of miles from home. I had the car towed by Hyundai to the Dealership where according the the Service Rep they could not recreate the issue but found some previous error codes and was told by Hyundai Tech to change the inhibitor switch which is mounted on the transmission and connected to the shifter lever used to control the gear settings. Fingers cross I don’t ever experience this issue again as it scared me and my fiancé.
Hi!

I am having the same issue with my Kona. Did replacing the inhibitor switch fix the issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!

I am having the same issue with my Kona. Did replacing the inhibitor switch fix the issue?
My Kona is automatic though...and when it feels as though I've hit a large pothole, it jolts as well and then revs high until I pull over, turn off the engine, and then restart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a new 2019 Kone SEL w/Tech package. 6 months old with only 5100 miles. Twice now while driving on the highway 60-65 MPH, it will suddenly SLAM (and I mean SLAM!!) into 3rd gear (if there really is a 3rd gear with this transmission ?) It feels like you hit a 6 inch deep pot hole, and then stays in 3rd gear, jarring down to 50 mph with high rev's. A warning goes up for a split second (not long enough to read) then 1/2 second later is slams into a low gear and will not come out of the low gear unless I pull over and shut the car off. Then is seems fine a few weeks. The dealer found no error codes and told me if it does it again to drive it as-is directly to the service bay without shutting it off or putting it in part - which is hard to do depending on where I am.

I searched for this issue we are having but could not see one. But the service tech at my dealer tells me they are seeing this now pm 2019 Kona's and there may be yet another class action suit.

I have the same issue with my Kona. Has happened about 4 times in the past 8 or so months of having it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone with this issue...have them replace inhibitor switch. After 8 months of mine having this issue I asked them to look at inhibitor switch (after it was suggested in this thread). They found it had a slight "glitch" so they replaced it. No issues since March.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I posted this as a new topic but thought I should re post here so it's grouped with all the others here that seem to be the same problem. My service provider will be replacing the "inhibitor switch" on Monday 11/23/20 & I'll follow up here on whether it works.

Hi I have a 2020 Kona AWD 6-speed automatic transmission. Millage ~5000mi.
The 1st time this happened I was driving on the interstate when I saw a warning on my dash from the Forward Collision Warning system & the Blind spot warning at the same time. I looked all around & there was not a car in sight & a second later I felt the car jolt like I had hit something. Since there was no one around I thought it must have been a rock (felt like a large rock). I pulled over, shut off the engine, got out, checked all the tires & looked for any sign of a collision, & found nothing. I got back on the road & all was well, so I chalked it up as a weird mystery. It's happened 3 more times with the same sequence of events. First time was 10/16/20 the last 2Xs on 11/13. I had the car towed to the nearest dealer & of course they can't replicate the problem. Has this happened to anyone else?

Sequence of events:
1)"Forward Collision Avoidance FCA Warning" & "Blind Spot Detection" warning to check blind spot,
2) Then a jarring jolt in the front end
3) Then high whine coming from engine that sounds like too high rpms for the gear you are in.
It's happened 3X at 70mph on the highway & 1X at 40mph. I happened 2X today 11/12.
Thanks!!
[/QUOTE]

21 - 35 of 35 Posts