Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, new to the Kona forum. Here is my issue:
Have a new 2019 Kone SEL w/Tech package. 6 months old with only 5100 miles. Twice now while driving on the highway 60-65 MPH, it will suddenly SLAM (and I mean SLAM!!) into 3rd gear (if there really is a 3rd gear with this transmission ?) It feels like you hit a 6 inch deep pot hole, and then stays in 3rd gear, jarring down to 50 mph with high rev's. A warning goes up for a split second (not long enough to read) then 1/2 second later is slams into a low gear and will not come out of the low gear unless I pull over and shut the car off. Then is seems fine a few weeks. The dealer found no error codes and told me if it does it again to drive it as-is directly to the service bay without shutting it off or putting it in part - which is hard to do depending on where I am.

I searched for this issue we are having but could not see one. But the service tech at my dealer tells me they are seeing this now pm 2019 Kona's and there may be yet another class action suit.

Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
260 Posts
This is the 2.4 with the 6 speed transmission, right?

I've not heard or read of any issues like this with the Kona 6 speed transmission. I'd say just keep driving it like you normally do and see if it happens again. Twice in 5,100 miles doesn't sound terrible, although I'll admit I'd be really unhappy if it happened to ours.

Hard to believe the dealer can't pick up any codes from the issue. You can go to ANY Hyundai dealer if it happens again, so might want to get yourself a list of them in the area you travel, so you can meet their requirements of not shutting the vehicle off?

I know it's little comfort, but it sounds like the 10 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty might get used on yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bet the drive-shaft came loose. It's an issue with Kona's. Take it to the dealer and have them re-tighten it or at least check to see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the input. I never thought about the drive shaft - that is interesting. I have a friend who is a mechanic and can take a quick look. I was looking more at a Transmission software update that has solved other peoples transmission issues, but they can't update the software without an error code! Very frustrating. My issue is this is exactly why I bought a brand new car - so we didn't have these issues. My wife is just about refusing to drive it. if this thing slams into low gear on an icy surface with the violent slam we have seen, it's not going to be pretty. I think you are right - may have to use that warranty and hope they honor it. The dealer was a horror show to make the purchase - hoping they do better with the service! Thanks again for the input!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you both for the input. I never thought about the drive shaft - that is interesting. I have a friend who is a mechanic and can take a quick look. I was looking more at a Transmission software update that has solved other peoples transmission issues, but they can't update the software without an error code! Very frustrating. My issue is this is exactly why I bought a brand new car - so we didn't have these issues. My wife is just about refusing to drive it. if this thing slams into low gear on an icy surface with the violent slam we have seen, it's not going to be pretty. I think you are right - may have to use that warranty and hope they honor it. The dealer was a horror show to make the purchase - hoping they do better with the service! Thanks again for the input!
Of course - I hope you get it figured out! Seriously sucks to get unlucky. Here, check this out:

Fingers crossed for you, that that's all it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced the same issue with my 2019 with only 1970 miles. On the final 5 miles of a 300 mile trip it felt like I hit the biggest pothole ever or ran over something large. It was neither and my Kona SLAMed into 4th gear and would not change gears. Fortunately I was only a couple of miles from home. I had the car towed by Hyundai to the Dealership where according the the Service Rep they could not recreate the issue but found some previous error codes and was told by Hyundai Tech to change the inhibitor switch which is mounted on the transmission and connected to the shifter lever used to control the gear settings. Fingers cross I don’t ever experience this issue again as it scared me and my fiancé.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't think I would have the courage to drive my Kona again if it ever did this even once. Would probably get a rental until I could replace it.

·
Super Moderator
914 Posts
Almost sound like the transmission linkage is maybe not adjusted right and possibly moving past a detent and dropping down a gear? The dealer should have been able to retrieve a logged code if you saw an error pop up on the display..

·
Registered
209 Posts
But the service tech at my dealer tells me they are seeing this now pm 2019 Kona's and there may be yet another class action suit.

Not to discount your issue, which is serious, but this is a very odd thing to report. I haven't seen other examples of this problem and I even looked at the NHTSA site and don't see any complaints along these lines on either the 2018 or 2019 Kona's. So its odd to me that a service tech would be telling you its common at all. And I don't know what you mean by "another class action suit" as I'm not aware of any regarding the Kona.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey All - thanks for the responses and input. Here's a quick update:
My personal mechanic checked out the drive shaft and said it was fine - not loose. So that's out as the root cause. The dealer found no error codes so just told me to keep driving it. (Yeah, because it's not their wife in the car that could end up on the side of the highway)

I'm going to have to hope this happens again when we are near a dealer as this seems to be the only option to diagnose. Warranty should cover, but seems like they could do more. It's really bad - my wife is just about refusing to drive it. No one should go from 65 to 55 mph in a split second in the middle of the highway.

I'm not impressed with my dealer in any way. It may come down to me screaming with management for a replacement tranny.

What I meant by "another class action suite" is - he said there are few out against Hyundai now, and a he heard a new one is starting that is addressing new issues such as this. I don't want to be part of a class action suite - I just want the car safe and dependable.

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
You might look at contacting Hyundai directly about the issue. They can send a higher level tech to the dealership to look for things the dealer techs may not know about. I'm sure Hyundai would view this as a serious issue.

·
Super Moderator
914 Posts
I
You might look at contacting Hyundai directly about the issue. They can send a higher level tech to the dealership to look for things the dealer techs may not know about. I'm sure Hyundai would view this as a serious issue.
I agree.. They should send out a regional Tech to look into this.. Hard to justify with no codes set or obvious problem.. from their perspective.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks folks! I appreciate the help. I emailed the Hyundai complaint line Friday. No response yet. My guess is I'll have to call and be the squeaky wheel. Not impressed with Hyundai at this point. If corporate can't correct this issue, truly thinking of trading it in at a loss at this point and getting my wife a Toyota that I know will work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks folks! I appreciate the help. I emailed the Hyundai complaint line Friday. No response yet (Tuesday afternoon). My guess is I'll have to call and be the squeaky wheel. Not impressed with Hyundai at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It kind of sounds like a problem in the Auto/Manual switch or the computer is arbitrarily kicking your transmission into manual mode. I would ask the dealer to investigate that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Folks, new to the Kona forum. Here is my issue:
Have a new 2019 Kone SEL w/Tech package. 6 months old with only 5100 miles. Twice now while driving on the highway 60-65 MPH, it will suddenly SLAM (and I mean SLAM!!) into 3rd gear (if there really is a 3rd gear with this transmission ?) It feels like you hit a 6 inch deep pot hole, and then stays in 3rd gear, jarring down to 50 mph with high rev's. A warning goes up for a split second (not long enough to read) then 1/2 second later is slams into a low gear and will not come out of the low gear unless I pull over and shut the car off. Then is seems fine a few weeks. The dealer found no error codes and told me if it does it again to drive it as-is directly to the service bay without shutting it off or putting it in part - which is hard to do depending on where I am.

I searched for this issue we are having but could not see one. But the service tech at my dealer tells me they are seeing this now pm 2019 Kona's and there may be yet another class action suit.

...ya know...I wonder if you are having the same issue another poster posted about. He had an issue with the Forward Collision Avoidance kicking on even when cars were far in front and auto braking the car on the highway. His post
Maybe it's not a transmission issue at all. Kinda sounds the same. Does it beep rapidly at you when it happens?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spoke to Hyundai Corporate today - (took them three day's to get back to me). They were 0 help. Said the same thing the dealer said - if it's not doing it when you drive in, they can't do anything. They actually said take it another dealer and see if they can find the problem. WHAT THE HECK? I have put in more time trying to fix it than Hyundai has! This car is unsafe and Hyundai is providing NO help to fix it - not even offering to have a Senior Tech look at it. Honestly, my next step is trade it in at a loss and get a Toyota that I know will work.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Spoke to Hyundai Corporate today - (took them three day's to get back to me). They were 0 help. Said the same thing the dealer said - if it's not doing it when you drive in, they can't do anything. They actually said take it another dealer and see if they can find the problem. WHAT THE HECK? I have put in more time trying to fix it than Hyundai has! This car is unsafe and Hyundai is providing NO help to fix it - not even offering to have a Senior Tech look at it. Honestly, my next step is trade it in at a loss and get a Toyota that I know will work.
That is very disappointing to hear. I don't blame you if you just want to get rid of it, but another option (where you wouldn't be shafted as much) would be to look at the "lemon laws" that apply in your state. If the manufacturer can't get it fixed and its unsafe to drive they have to buy it back.

Also, I do think Mooky might have an angle to also pursue. I bought an SE in part because the forward collision stuff is still not a 100% sorted technology.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks folks! I did indeed make an appointment at another dealer as the Hyundai Corporate guy said - the hope is they may have a technician that has seen this before. This is apparently an issue Hyundai has had going back almost 6 years so this is not as new as I thought. I"m going to tell the service person all the things noted above to look at. I'll keep everyone posted. My hopes are not high at this point but we'll see. I will also look into the Massachusetts Lemon law and see what that states! Truly appreciate all the input!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts