Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
Here is the situation:

The Adaptive Cruise Control is on and set to hold a speed.

While maintaining the set speed, pressing the accelerate pedal to increase the speed I get what feels like a hesitation or bucking (if it was an ICE I would say it feels like its going to stall) I thought the car was going to shut down.

A bit unnerving when it first happened but that's the only time is happens so I know what to expect.
No error lights or warnings.

Anyone else experience this or have any guesses what it might be?

I have an appointment with the dealer next week but I just thought someone may have gone thru this already.

Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yup, I get the exact same thing with mine. The EV does not like you holding the throttle above the set ACC speed. Best to disconnect it temporarily and resume when you are ready to go back to the set speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RP, Thanks the quick reply.

Guess I will just live with it as to not have someone mess with it and have a bigger or different problem.

Maybe there will be a future software update that fixes it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep. I also observe what I see as a similar or same issue (Kona EV Ultimate, San Diego, CA). It happens when the ACC is set at some speed and then I try to accelerate with the foot pedal only a little. It seems like the speed controller does not like it and acts in a pulsing manner (it tries to speed up and tries to slow down in a oscillating cyclical manner with a period of about 1/2 second or so, +/-). My solution is to instead either accelerate using the raise button on the steering wheel or by shutting off the ACC and driving manually. If I recall correctly, if I more firmly press on the accelerator pedal to really speed up it is not a problem but I need to reconfirm that one. The speed controller is obviously not processing the additional input properly. Minor issue but annoying indeed ! Seems now that three of us have confirmed it, Hyundai needs to create a fix for it (assuming they read this forum).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks All owners!

Now that I know it is a issue, I sent Hyundai a message asking them to address it.
Lets see how important customer satisfaction is to them.

2019 Kona EV Ultimate possible Cruise control problem
Here is the situation:

While maintaining the set speed, pressing the accelerate pedal to increase the speed I get what feels like a hesitation or bucking (if it was an ICE I would say it feels like its going to stall) I thought the car was going to shut down.

A bit unnerving when it first happened but that's the only time is happens so I know what to expect.
No error or warning lights.

Other owners are experiencing the same problem.
Please look into it for us.
This is my first Hyundai...hope it was not a mistake.
Otherwise....I LOVE IT!!!!!!! (so far)
Here is a link to the forum:
https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/fo...-kona-ev-possible-cruise-control-problem.html

Thank You for looking into this issue for us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like an appointment is in my future.

Here is the response from Hyundai Motor America.

Dear Joe:

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

We always appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers, and we are sorry to hear of your concern regarding the Adaptive Cruise Control for your vehicle. However, we will be happy to direct you to the appropriate personnel.

Based upon the information you provided, we recommend you schedule an appointment with the service department of your local Hyundai dealership to have your 2019 Kona Electric inspected and diagnosed.

We apologize for the inconvenience, however, Hyundai Customer Care Center is unable to diagnose over the phone or through email. Our dealerships are also the best-trained and most-qualified to service and maintain your Hyundai vehicle.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America and being a valued member of our Hyundai Family.

Respectfully,

Hyundai Customer Care
(800) 633-5151

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spoke with the service desk at Carlsbad Hyundai today about my failed A/C and mentioned this speed control issue as well. The service advisor said he was aware of it and knew at least one other customer who also has this issue. He said he is not aware of a fix at this time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep. I also observe what I see as a similar or same issue (Kona EV Ultimate, San Diego, CA). It happens when the ACC is set at some speed and then I try to accelerate with the foot pedal only a little. It seems like the speed controller does not like it and acts in a pulsing manner (it tries to speed up and tries to slow down in a oscillating cyclical manner with a period of about 1/2 second or so, +/-). My solution is to instead either accelerate using the raise button on the steering wheel or by shutting off the ACC and driving manually. If I recall correctly, if I more firmly press on the accelerator pedal to really speed up it is not a problem but I need to reconfirm that one. The speed controller is obviously not processing the additional input properly. Minor issue but annoying indeed ! Seems now that three of us have confirmed it, Hyundai needs to create a fix for it (assuming they read this forum).
I have exactly the samme issue on my car.
I have a trend-line living in Sweden.
Looking forward to a resolution to the issue.

Cheers!
Johan

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
140 Posts
The big difference with the Kona's cruise control (and all EVs perhaps?, I don't know) is that it handles slowing down as well. On the hills in the region I live, in NZ, it's quite amazing to have the car deal with long downhills without any attention from me. I can see from a control systems point of view why this surging happens and on that basis alone it's expected. However from an ergonomics perspective it's a corner-case Hyundai have clearly not addressed. I can see the complication - they need to know when the accelerator is touched and in that duration cancel retardation or all control entirely then re-engage when the accelerator is released. That may not be as straightforward as we might think, from a consumer's perspective.

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
231 Posts
The big difference with the Kona's cruise control (and all EVs perhaps?, I don't know) is that it handles slowing down as well. On the hills in the region I live, in NZ, it's quite amazing to have the car deal with long downhills without any attention from me. I can see from a control systems point of view why this surging happens and on that basis alone it's expected. However from an ergonomics perspective it's a corner-case Hyundai have clearly not addressed. I can see the complication - they need to know when the accelerator is touched and in that duration cancel retardation or all control entirely then re-engage when the accelerator is released. That may not be as straightforward as we might think, from a consumer's perspective.
I have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, and when in full electric mode it handles acceleration (& dropping back to pre-set speed) while in ACC seamlessly. Obviously a problem Hyundai need to work on, preferably resolved before my electric Highlander arrives next month ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's actullay pretty straight forward. It's not expected. I certainly don't expect it after driving other cars that don't have this issue (2019 Ford Focus for one). They need to tweak their software algorithm to deal with it or replace the control hardware that is involved if the software can't fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have owned a 2019 Kona EV Ultimate since May. From new, it displays the same symptoms as others report in this thread. I would describe it as the motor surging when the throttle calls for a speed several miles per hour above the ACC speed. I expect that the problem is a software issue, which means a software update may provide a fix. I also expect that all Kona EVs have this problem, so the more owners who report a similar experience, the more likely Hyundai will pursue a fix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks to be a worldwide issue, mine which was purchased in August 2019 (Brisbane, Australia) is the same.
It's almost like it's a battle for control between the ACC and the pedal if the difference between the amount of throttle input between the 2 is of a slight discrepancy. If I continue to add acceleration via the pedal then the jittering stops and the pedal wins.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi All.
Here is the situation:

No error lights or warnings.

Anyone else experience this or have any guesses what it might be?

I have an appointment with the dealer next week but I just thought someone may have gone thru this already.

Thanks!
Hi all, I don't use cruise control much but I tried it out looking for this issue. Mine seemed to work ok in relation to the issue you guys are having, so interesting its not all affected.
On another note, you guys all use your cruise control by the sounds so you're a knowledgeable bunch on the topic.
I tried to activate cruise control when doing 100kmh, it told me 'conditions not met' and didn't engage. I then tried it going around 80kmh and it worked fine. I assume there is some sort of speed criteria limiting when it will and wont activate>? Anyone know if that is correct, and how to change that criteria, so I can use it at highway speeds?
thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi all, I don't use cruise control much but I tried it out looking for this issue. Mine seemed to work ok in relation to the issue you guys are having, so interesting its not all affected.
On another note, you guys all use your cruise control by the sounds so you're a knowledgeable bunch on the topic.
I tried to activate cruise control when doing 100kmh, it told me 'conditions not met' and didn't engage. I then tried it going around 80kmh and it worked fine. I assume there is some sort of speed criteria limiting when it will and wont activate>? Anyone know if that is correct, and how to change that criteria, so I can use it at highway speeds?
thanks
I vaguely recall that message, too, once, when I was trying to set the cruise control. I think I mistakenly hit the toggle up instead of down. Once it is set on you can then toggle it up to get more speed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I vaguely recall that message, too, once, when I was trying to set the cruise control. I think I mistakenly hit the toggle up instead of down. Once it is set on you can then toggle it up to get more speed.
Hi RP, the issue is that it wont engage if i'm doing 100kmh. I don't want to have to do 80kmh, then engage it, then speed it up using the toggle. It should engage at highway speeds first time like most systems do.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi RP, the issue is that it wont engage if i'm doing 100kmh. I don't want to have to do 80kmh, then engage it, then speed it up using the toggle. It should engage at highway speeds first time like most systems do.
Yeah, don't know why it wouldn't. Mine does at any speed. I just mentioned how I got that message, and maybe was the same cause for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, good to know it works fine for you. Will do some more digging.
Possible solution- just read on another forum that this issue is not that rare. The thought is that you need to have pressed the brake pedal recently before it will allow you to engage SCC. Odd but it seems that if you get this issue of SCC not engaging and it says 'conditions not met', then all you have to do is press the brake pedal a bit and retry. They report it works every time. Still don't understand the requirement of the brake pedal being used but???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts