Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had previously posted in the Kona EV Forum regarding battery / charging issues, citing a 20% loss of mileage range after Recall Campaign 196 was performed last November. I opened up a case number with Hyundai Customer Service and was getting ready to have my local Hyundai Dealer Service Dept. monitor charging my car to see if there were any issues with that procedure related to my range loss...and then this happened.

I charged my Kona last Saturday night - I always charge the battery to 100% capacity. I received 2 blu-link email messages stating that my charging had stopped. I didn't pay any attention to them, and just unplugged the car and went to bed. The next morning I got in the car to head to church and it powered up, but there were 2 icons on the dashboard indicating there was trouble: 1. the triangle with the exclamation point inside it, and 2. the battery icon on the left side of the dashboard. Additionally, the car icon on the left side had a wrench inside it. AND I COULDN'T SHIFT THE CAR INTO DRIVE OR REVERSE. I COULD ONLY KEEP IT IN PARK OR PUT IT IN NEUTRAL.

I checked the manuals, and they indicated an issue with the vehicle's electrical system. So, good thing I could shift it into neutral to back it out of my garage and into the street, so it could be lifted up onto the flatbed tow truck. And it has been sitting for 2 days so far, until the Dealer Service Dept. can take a look at it. Nice thing was the tow was completely free, as I had called Hyundai Roadside assistance, who sent AAA out. I talked to the Service Manager yesterday, who said that once they look at the car, they'll call me and arrange for a loaner for me while mine is being repaired. Too bad Recall Campaign 200 wasn't ready to be implemented...I'd just have them do that, also.

So, not sure what is going on with the "Red Rocket" (my son's name for it), but deflating to say the least. Between the 3 recalls and now this, I am wondering how much more refining Hyundai had to do with their EV's before they were ready for primetime. It also really makes me wonder how much more refined the Ioniq 5 may be than the Kona, now that the company has been able to learn by the issues and mistakes of the latter.

Anyhow, I sit and work...and wait for a phone call. Good thing I am working from home, because I don't really need a car right now. But it would be nice to have mine back. Just wanted to let y'all know the issue that I encountered to see if anyone has had anything similar happen, or to just let you know that the Kona (or at least this Kona) is dealing with another issue entirely. I'll update this when I find out more information - but for now, peace.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: The Dealership Service Department finally got a chance to look at the car today and gave me the bad news. I need a new battery...specifically, I need Recall Campaign 200 performed. But the Service Manager also stated that he doesn't have the $15K equipment to do the battery changeout, so he's having my car towed to another Hyundai Dealership 30 minutes away that does have the equipment.

I am also waiting on an arrangement for a loaner car / vehicle while mine is being repaired (if that is possible at this time). Hyundai will pay $38 per day toward a rental, but ironically Enterprise Car Rentals doesn't have any vehicles available that amount will cover; I would have to pay money out of my own pocket each day to get a rental through them. So I'm hoping the new Dealership's Service Department will work something out for me with one of their "loaner cars."

Read on another post today of two other Kona owners having the same issue - undrivable cars due to battery failure, and rumor is that Hyundai may ask to buy the cars back from them. Wow.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
178 Posts
Some 77,000 Konas globally are getting new batteries sometime in the next year or two, so you're far from alone and just be glad you're at the front of the queue. You can keep apprised of why by reading the many posts in Kona EV forums at SpeakEV and InsideEVs. All owners will have similar experiences and thoughts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kiwi - appreciate the support and hope you're enjoying your Kona. I miss driving mine already, especially now that summer is arriving in New England. What sucks is that I will end up in a gas "loaner car" and be on the hook for increasing gas pump prices during the summer. You bet I'm saving every receipt and will ask Hyundai to reimburse me. They'll wish this never happened to me...or anyone else. Happy driving, and I hope your Kona continues to stay well!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had previously posted in the Kona EV Forum regarding battery / charging issues, citing a 20% loss of mileage range after Recall Campaign 196 was performed last November. I opened up a case number with Hyundai Customer Service and was getting ready to have my local Hyundai Dealer Service Dept. monitor charging my car to see if there were any issues with that procedure related to my range loss...and then this happened.

I charged my Kona last Saturday night - I always charge the battery to 100% capacity. I received 2 blu-link email messages stating that my charging had stopped. I didn't pay any attention to them, and just unplugged the car and went to bed. The next morning I got in the car to head to church and it powered up, but there were 2 icons on the dashboard indicating there was trouble: 1. the triangle with the exclamation point inside it, and 2. the battery icon on the left side of the dashboard. Additionally, the car icon on the left side had a wrench inside it. AND I COULDN'T SHIFT THE CAR INTO DRIVE OR REVERSE. I COULD ONLY KEEP IT IN PARK OR PUT IT IN NEUTRAL.

I checked the manuals, and they indicated an issue with the vehicle's electrical system. So, good thing I could shift it into neutral to back it out of my garage and into the street, so it could be lifted up onto the flatbed tow truck. And it has been sitting for 2 days so far, until the Dealer Service Dept. can take a look at it. Nice thing was the tow was completely free, as I had called Hyundai Roadside assistance, who sent AAA out. I talked to the Service Manager yesterday, who said that once they look at the car, they'll call me and arrange for a loaner for me while mine is being repaired. Too bad Recall Campaign 200 wasn't ready to be implemented...I'd just have them do that, also.

So, not sure what is going on with the "Red Rocket" (my son's name for it), but deflating to say the least. Between the 3 recalls and now this, I am wondering how much more refining Hyundai had to do with their EV's before they were ready for primetime. It also really makes me wonder how much more refined the Ioniq 5 may be than the Kona, now that the company has been able to learn by the issues and mistakes of the latter.

Anyhow, I sit and work...and wait for a phone call. Good thing I am working from home, because I don't really need a car right now. But it would be nice to have mine back. Just wanted to let y'all know the issue that I encountered to see if anyone has had anything similar happen, or to just let you know that the Kona (or at least this Kona) is dealing with another issue entirely. I'll update this when I find out more information - but for now, peace.
Gosh! That’s awful! Have they gotten you a loaner yet? For us, it’s our only car and with a medically fragile spouse, I would have to have a car! Please keep us posted on the outcome. I have a weird odd intermittent warning message, too, and Hyundai service folks have no clue about that, either! Hang in there!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I get my loaner next Wednesday, March 31st. That will make 1-1/2 weeks without a car. The Nashua, NH, Dealership's Service Dept. that now has my car confirmed that I need a new battery. They said they need to prepare some paperwork and formally request one from Hyundai before they know how long it will take. They said the last battery they ordered took 2 months to arrive; they expect with the new recall on the Kona's for batteries to be back ordered and to potentially take a lot longer. Once I get a timeframe from them, I'll call Hyundai Customer Service in California to reopen my case and see what they may be willing to do for me. Like everything in life, this will be interesting :oops:.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ugh I am having exactly the same problem. I tried charging my car (2019 Kona EV) this evening and when I went to unplug it the same red battery light and large yellow triangle with "electrical problem" and I cannot drive the car as it sits in park and cannot go into Drive or reverse. I have had the car since July 2019 and this is the second time the problem has occurred in the last 6 months - had to have the car towed and lost it for 2 days and I guess I lose it again now once i call this in. Really annoying as I am still paying the car off and losing trust big time in it. It is a real shame as I like driving electric vehicles, just not sure I want to keep this one for the long term if it keeps failing like this....

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
178 Posts
This battery replacement is becoming a reasonably consistent process now. You'll get the Kona back in perhaps 2 months with a brand new battery. There's no reason to "lose faith" in the car, it's not a single entity nor a religion but instead a well-engineered car. Hyundai just happened to use a battery cell type in most of their production output with a potential defect that has now been identified. With a new battery the value will be more than restored and safety will be back to what it should be. Most Bolt owners are in a worse situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi Kiwi, so are you saying that by replacing the 12 volt battery that the yellow triangle with EV! would disappear? IS the 12 volt battery causing this problem? Or are you talking about the lithium battery? Why would it take 2 months to get the car back? I am interested in your response because my car was towed this morning and the garage will likely be taking a look on Monday morning so I would like to be prepared.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
178 Posts
Based on what you've described, the year of the Kona, and the experiences of many other owners including the original poster in this thread, I'd suggest you be prepared to be driving their loaner for a number of weeks while they await the arrival of a new main ("traction") battery. Once arrived it will only take ~4 hours to install if they have the correct lifting equipment.

If it were just the 12V battery the car would be unresponsive and easy to fix. The error you've seen indicates that the "software" has detected an anomaly in the traction battery. Some dealers just delete the error and hand the car back with the hope that it will be OK, others take no chances and get on with the job. Eventually all of us with 2018 to early-2020 Konas will be getting a new traction battery anyway, better to be first in line rather than last, like myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks! So is the "traction" battery known by any other name? Just want to clarify before calling them on Monday.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks! So is the "traction" battery known by any other name? Just want to clarify before calling them on Monday.
They'll know. Just call it the BIG battery.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
178 Posts
That is the formal name. You don't need to tell them what to do, just let them do their job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get my loaner next Wednesday, March 31st. That will make 1-1/2 weeks without a car. The Nashua, NH, Dealership's Service Dept. that now has my car confirmed that I need a new battery. They said they need to prepare some paperwork and formally request one from Hyundai before they know how long it will take. They said the last battery they ordered took 2 months to arrive; they expect with the new recall on the Kona's for batteries to be back ordered and to potentially take a lot longer. Once I get a timeframe from them, I'll call Hyundai Customer Service in California to reopen my case and see what they may be willing to do for me. Like everything in life, this will be interesting :oops:.
This makes me nervous about my Kona EV. I'm also in New Hampshire, seacoast area. Can you tell us what model yours was and where you purchased it? Mine is a Kona Limited EV purchased from Rowe's Hyundai near Portland, ME. I had to purchase it out of state since at the time there didn't seem to be any NH dealers selling the EV and Rowe Hyundai had the best deals by a long shot. I have not had any problems with charging/driving that I'm aware of. I did have the 2 recalls done at Hampton Hyundai. I found out later that they are one of the only dealers in NH that now sell and service the Kona EV. They seem to be very knowledgeable on the EVs so I've been trusting them so far.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Konubee - My Kona is a 2019 SEL - red with black roof...looks super cool. I went with that trim because the other trims didn't add that much more for the $4K step up for each. I bought it at Boch Hyundai / Chevrolet on Rt. 1 in Norwood, Massachusetts, because no one in New Hampshire was selling them at the time. I even asked if I could order through Key Hyundai, my local dealer in Salem, NH, and at the time they said I couldn't.

I did all the recalls, too, and after Recall Campaign 196, my mileage range really took a hit. Now here is what I did differently from others - I always charged up to 100%. No one told me not to, no less anyone from Hyundai. So after that recall / software upgrade, my average 100% full charge went from 320 miles to 250 miles. That sucked, and started me opening a case with Hyundai Customer Service in California to find out why.

About a month before my car died, I took it in to do Recall Campaign 199 - braking software upgrade, and had the Service Manager go through the car to find out why I lost so much range. He said the car was fine...no trouble codes or issues with the charging or electrical systems. So, when I walked out a week ago Sunday to start the car up and all these trouble icons came up - in addition to not being able to put the car into drive or reverse, I was surprised.

I'll say this. Don't worry about your car. You are doing everything right the way all of us were. If something is going to happen it is out of your control for the most part. Recall Campaign 200 confirms there are issues with the main traction batteries used for the 2018-2020 Kona's, and that for safety and performance reasons they need to be replaced. Enjoy driving the car and don't be anxious. Take each day as it comes, be thankful, and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
well my car was loaded on a truck and taken to the dealer on Saturday and here we are on Thursday and still no word on what is wrong except it cannot be driven and looks like I wont get it back until at least next week. I opened a case with Hyundai but no call yet - they say I will get a call Monday most likely. In the meantime the dealership has sent a "reading" to Hyundai and waiting 24 hours for a response to see what is wrong. Also, I was told there were 3 recalls outstanding on the vehicle. Being without a car that you are paying monthly for is no joke I can tell you - they say I can rent one from Enterprise on my dime and submit receipts to see if they will pay for it - what a deal!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sorry for your trouble, Suz. Most of us here on the thread are in the same boat, except with a main traction battery failure, we'll probably be without our Kona's for 2 months (or likely more, from what I'm hearing). If you had your car taken to a Hyundai Dealer Service Dept., I would check with them again about a loaner car while they figure out what is wrong with yours. The Salem, NH, dealership at first told me they didn't have any loaner cars, but Hyundai would pay $38 per day toward a rental for me. When the Rental Car company said their cars started at $42 per day and that I would incur some out-of-pocket costs, I said, "no thanks". That is when my car was transported up to Nashua Hyundai in NH, and the Service Dept. there said they would get me into a long term loaner while my car was being repaired.

Hyundai Customer Service in CA seems to be experiencing their own set of issues. In the 2 months since I opened my original inquiry regarding lost mileage range from charging (seemingly a result of Recall Campaign 196), I have gone through 3 different customer service representatives: Cynthia, Larissa, and Jeff...the last is a supervisor and intimated they have had trouble keeping people in that type of job, working remotely and following up on cases where most of the time you're dealing with an angry owner.

Hopefully I'll have a more substantial update for you and others on here next week. The real thing I'm trying to find out is how long it will take to get a new battery from Hyundai in Korea and then install it - how long will I be without my Kona and stuck driving a Chevy Cruze? Once I get a timeline on that, I'll call Jeff at Hyundai Customer Service back to discuss the new turn my case has taken, and try to get it elevated for more attention and care.

Hang in there. We are all missing our Kona's, and that's especially hard because the better weather is almost upon us!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for posting this, La Truncha Loca, today is Saturday and still no word from the dealership and I have placed many calls to the customer service desk and escalated to being given a case number - I thought things may be happening, but no... a case manager was assigned last Tuesday and has not called me yet but I was told that I should expect a call as soon as a case manager was assigned...hmmm :( and the dealership doesn't have any info on what is even wrong with the car. I plan to call the case manager a few hundred times (no, not joking) on Monday to see what is happening because I just don't trust she will call me back. Also, if so many people are having this problem shouldn't we be complaining as a group or contacting the press or news channels or something? I am sure they would get things moving if they had tons of bad press on this. I think potential buyers should be made aware and this would be a good way to warn them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Suz - you can call me David. I know waiting for an answer is the hardest part, but hopefully we both get one this week. But, one step at a time. Once we know the timeline we're dealing with, if we need to band together to get some urgency behind action from Hyundai, then we'll explore that route. I suspect you're in the same situation as the rest of us on here, and will require a main traction battery replacement. Then, the issue will be how long the repair will take. In my humble opinion, anything over 2-3 months should require Hyundai Customer Service to seriously look at another alternative solution, such as a replacement vehicle and / or upgrade. Let's see what happens!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts