Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, on a 4-lane road with no divider, the car next to me moved into my lane despite my continuous honking, and the collision avoidance system kept us apart by pushing me over the double yellow line despite my steering inputs. Fortunately, there was no oncoming traffic. What would have happened if there was oncoming traffic? I'd much rather have a minor collision with a car going in the same direction than a head-on collision. Can the system be overridden? Please advise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, it can be turned off in the drivers assist menu. However, it gets turned back on automatically the next time you start the car. I don’t know if its possible to have it off “permanently”. have you tried to decrease the sensitivity of the system? You can do that in the driver assist menu as well and the option you pick stays even when the car is turned off And back on.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 1.6T Premium
10 Posts
In the case of oncoming traffic, this probably would not have happened, the front camera saw that nothing was coming and you could swerve to the other lane.
This is why they call it a collision avoidance system, it's quite a smart system.
The same camera also sees that there are oncoming traffic in the high beam assist, don't kill me if i'm wrong. :oops:
Luckily nothing happened.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
Last week, on a 4-lane road with no divider, the car next to me moved into my lane despite my continuous honking, and the collision avoidance system kept us apart by pushing me over the double yellow line despite my steering inputs. Fortunately, there was no oncoming traffic. What would have happened if there was oncoming traffic? I'd much rather have a minor collision with a car going in the same direction than a head-on collision. Can the system be overridden? Please advise.
FCA should not affect your steering. It only applies the brakes not steering. There is no reference to FCA adjusting steering to avoid a collision. Unless it has changed with newer models?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks. I'll check the driver assist menu.
Something occurred to me as well. Did you also have lane departure active? I was under the impression that collision avoidance on the Kona only applies brakes and decreases throttle but doesn’t effect steering. Lane departure effects the steering. If you had both systems active, they might have been fighting each other in your situation. Just a thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts