Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
First time posting here. Bought a 2019 Kona Ultimate Lime Twist for wife in November.
Just had the first oil change done at 3200 miles. When I got home I looked over the paperwork and noticed it showed 5w-20.
Being a turbo motor this didnt seem right to me. Looked it up shows 5-30 or 5-40. Should I not drive the car until I get this resolved? Pretty aggravated since I usually do my own oil changes, however to keep warranty and records Im having them do it

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
That is why you can't trust the dealer. You have a better chance a Hyundai dealer has 5w-30 since they had a bunch of turbo models in 2016 thru 2018. But unless I see it coming from the can or bottles myself, I don't trust them. I do all my oil and fluid changes on my car. I myself would get rid of the 5w-20 oil. Hyundai engines even non-turbos need a higher viscosity oil then 5w-20 in my opinion. Our 1.6T is one of Hyundai's better motors, but with Hyundai's boundary layer oil issues for years on other motors, a thicker oil is always better with a Hyundai.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im pretty pissed. Something so simple yet they fuck it up. Guess I should do synthetic also? I it says 5-40 also.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
No, not necessarily. A Mobil 1 5-30 or Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 is all you need, and not a 5-40 unless your wife is a street racer. I suggest a synthetic oil for a turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She has a heavy foot at times. I run platinum in my truck, have since I got it. Just aggravated I didnt check the manual before going there. I was wrong to assume they would use the right thing

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Even if the paper work said 5W-30. The is no guaranty it is actually 5W-30.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Even if the paper work said 5W-30. The is no guaranty it is actually 5W-30.
Or a name brand if they run cheap bulk oil. Not that it will do massive harm, it's just you want a top brand name and the right oil when get an oil change from your dealer. $$ You could always ask to see their bulk 55 gallon drums and look at the labels. The interesting thing is, would most dealers show you???

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
The last time walked through a service area. All I see are hanging hoses with oil grade labels. It always been more convenient for me to change my own oil.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello,
First time posting here. Bought a 2019 Kona Ultimate Lime Twist for wife in November.
Just had the first oil change done at 3200 miles. When I got home I looked over the paperwork and noticed it showed 5w-20.
Being a turbo motor this didnt seem right to me. Looked it up shows 5-30 or 5-40. Should I not drive the car until I get this resolved? Pretty aggravated since I usually do my own oil changes, however to keep warranty and records Im having them do it
4 months ago you wrote the above. I had my first oil change today and they used a synthetic blend of 5w20/5w30 oil. Could be that's what you got as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts