Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealership to adjust " Max. % Charge" level reduced to 80% for my range. It was verified by the dealership and I am supposed to receive a $200 gift card due to this inconvenience of reducing the change based on this recall. It has been one month now and I have not received the $200 gift card, even though the letter in the recall said that it would take 10 business days to receive the gift card. I talked to the dealer and they said the gift card is supposed to come from Hyundai. Has anyone received this $200 gift card from Hyundai? Does anyone have any email address or phone number to contact Hyundai for the $200?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can you give me any contact/or email from the Hyundai department that you receive your visa gift card $ 200.00 from?
Thanks
I think you should just contact your Service Dept & confirm they sent your EMAIL to HYUNDAI with the confirmation everything was set ... That is MY personal understanding of how this is supposed to work to get that $200 card. After going to the Service dept, I received my VISA GIFT Card in like 2 weeks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went to the dealership to adjust " Max. % Charge" level reduced to 80% for my range. It was verified by the dealership and I am supposed to receive a $200 gift card due to this inconvenience of reducing the change based on this recall. It has been one month now and I have not received the $200 gift card, even though the letter in the recall said that it would take 10 business days to receive the gift card. I talked to the dealer and they said the gift card is supposed to come from Hyundai. Has anyone received this $200 gift card from Hyundai? Does anyone have any email address or phone number to contact Hyundai for the $200?
Just took my Kona EV in for all current recalls, EXCEPT for battery replacement which status is currently unknown how to deal with, so the company is conveying. It's been a week and so far no $200 gift card. I would expect 6-8 weeks, which is typical for such things. I think the $200 'thing' is a joke, for an inconvenience that I'm expecting to last quite a while. ! I've got a 2019, which has a lifetime battery warranty. As such I do expect it to be replaced. I've heard nothing official with respect to such cars being bought back and/or battery replacement. Would be nice to get something from the company. It certainly affects my decision about whether I purchase another car from Hyundai.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This was brought to my attention on another forum. Something you can do with that $200 GIFT Card. (as original poster mentioned, Gift Cards can be kind of a PIA ..) If you use AMAZON a lot, just buy yourself an AMAZON Gift Card using that VISA card Hyundai sent. you can get an additional $15 as a special offer from AMAZON (valid until June 28th)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Patrice, I agree the gift card is just a token gesture.

From what we have seen so far, they are replacing only those batteries where the car shut itself down and refuses to run because a battery problem was detected by the BMS. These replacements leave you stranded without the car which cannot be driven. Possibly these one-off replacements may take months, because the approval necessary, and because the new battery has to be ordered, and shipped (literally) by slow boat from China. Based on earnings guidance from Hyundai, there is a reason to think that the large scale battery replacement will start in the 4th fiscal quarter. Hopefully a lot better organized than the one-off replacements they are doing mow

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my car to my dealer on May 1 to confirm the setting was at 80%. I called them at the end of June when I still hadn't received an email/card from Hyundai. They suggested calling Hyundai Canada, which I did. Hyundai Canada "put in a ticket" but still no email or card.... Frustrated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my car to my dealer on May 1 to confirm the setting was at 80%. I called them at the end of June when I still hadn't received an email/card from Hyundai. They suggested calling Hyundai Canada, which I did. Hyundai Canada "put in a ticket" but still no email or card.... Frustrated!
We did the same at about the same time and have had no results to date. I Was in the dealership last week and they said it would take another 6 to 8 weeks. My guess is that we will be lucky to see it. Poor corporate behaviour and dealer just as bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just took my Kona EV in for all current recalls, EXCEPT for battery replacement which status is currently unknown how to deal with, so the company is conveying. It's been a week and so far no $200 gift card. I would expect 6-8 weeks, which is typical for such things. I think the $200 'thing' is a joke, for an inconvenience that I'm expecting to last quite a while. ! I've got a 2019, which has a lifetime battery warranty. As such I do expect it to be replaced. I've heard nothing official with respect to such cars being bought back and/or battery replacement. Would be nice to get something from the company. It certainly affects my decision about whether I purchase another car from Hyundai.
An update to my post above ... I have had my 2019 Kona EV back to the dealer about 4 times now for recalls, mostly related to the main battery replacement. I had reduced the charging capacity to 80% before I took it to the dealer to 'verify' that it was at 80% (or they would have done so if it wasn't). Then months later Jones Belair, told me 'more' software updates were performed, told me the battery was OK and took the charge capacity back to 100%. Then my wife calls the dealer, due the recall still showing up for our Kona EV. They say the software was not all uploaded successfully last time AND the battery DOES need replaced; no ETA was given other then it could be weeks or months!! Keep in mind how long it's been already. And to top it off, the dealer did NOT reduce the charging capacity back to 80%; since the battery apparently does need replaced. So, I have absolutely no idea, since the dealer is playing some sort of game. I know for a fact that at least one other dealer in Maryland has already preformed the battery recall work by replacing the main Li-ion battery pack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can set the maximum % that the car's battery will charge to. With the recall in place and so many cars 'potentially' affected, it was decided by Hyundai to reduce the maximum charge level from 100% down to 80%. This reduction was done to reduce the possibility of the 'affected batteries' in the recall from catching fire and/or exploding. This reduction in charge of course reduces the maximum range the car is able to go without charging again. It's kinda of like an analogy of a party balloon ... if it's blown up to it's maximum, it stands a greater chance of popping. By only blowing the balloon up to 80%, it is much more 'stable' and stands a better chance not popping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Another update ... Finally! I was contacted by my dealer 'Jones' in Belair MD, and was told they have a replacement battery and to bring it in ASAP. No #@$%!!! I tried to get it replaced ASAP from the very beginning. Anyway, I must admit the dealer did the job in less than 1 day, provided a loaner, and so far the 'new' replacement battery is doing just fine. I'm actually seeing more miles on a full SOC vs the older removed battery; which makes sense - aging does affect overall capacity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts