Hyundai Kona Forum banner

161 - 180 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the recall done a couple of weeks ago. The GOM gets reset, so you can't go by your initial range estimates. After a a couple weeks of driving it should be accurate again. I just did a charge to 96% a couple days ago, and my GOM range was back up to 470 kms, which would extrapolate to 490 kms (303 miles) at 100%. That was with the Climate Off button pushed. We are getting into winter here (Vancouver), so range is getting lower now. So in reality, I do not believe actual range was affected by this recall.

Also interesting is that there was no pause at 80% or 90% as some had indicated. The charge did really slow down at the very end (about 2.3 kW), but that was the same as before as well. I also use SoulEVspy to check on my individual battery cells, and they are all normal (of course).
Thanks for weighing in. I'll keep monitoring range through the winter, but tough that the fall in New England was warmer than usual and my recall was performed in the middle of it, prior to the Thanksgiving Holiday. I actually have a screen grab from July of my estimated battery range at 100% (full) charge at 340 miles...contrasted with what I am seeing for the estimated range now. Tough to deal with, but could be worse. Range is still above the 258 EPA rated, but I will continue to watch. Also challenging, is now that I am working remotely 100% of the time, I hardly drive the car - just dropping the kids off at school and doing errands at night and on the weekends.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would caution against getting excited when we see a projected range improvement or decline after a firmware update.
The range you we are getting from the BMS is "projected" i.e. merely a heuristic estimate. It takes into consideration historical data, and settings. I find it a bit optimistic.
What you actually get depends on the efficiency (Miles traveled per KWH). I get an 3.6 to 3.7 long term average. (Mostly Highway driving)
The outside temperature is a huge factor. It is counter-intuitive how much juice the heating system pulls. If its very cold outside, it can cut your range in half.
I think the swings you attribute to the BMS software changes are either caused by environmental changes, or more likely by the wipe of historical data when they do a firmware update.
I do not believe they can move the needle much on battery efficiency just doing a software update. Think about it, if they could improve the vehicle's range by updating the software,
it would be all over the news.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
141 Posts
... Tough to deal with, but could be worse. Range is still above the 258 EPA rated ... Also challenging, ... I hardly drive the car.
It sounds like you're doing just fine. You still have the same battery you went in with. As coder says the battery's history has been reset and so the SoC and GoM will take a few days to get back to normal.

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
231 Posts
... the only thing I noticed afterwards is the battery drained about 10% from when I pulled in. I'm assuming because they leave the car on for an hour+ when doing the update. Although unless the heating system was on I wouldn't expect it to drain that much.
As you say, your vehicle has probably been sitting at the dealer with engine on for some time during update & checks. During this time your odometer remained unchanged. This will cause the GOM to reduce predicted range.

I had similar temporary reduction, but can’t recall the percentage. GOM corrected itself fairly quickly.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
141 Posts
This has become a quiet thread ... I've had my BMS update for a few days now and things are going well. I haven't been brave enough to hit 100% yet but did 95% and a trip yesterday. Over 295 km I averaged 13.9 kWh/100km and used 64%, a record for me but temps are nearly ideal at around 24°C.

My 12V battery is super-happy as well, a pig in mud. The car wakes up every 4 hours as expected but only charges the 12V once a day, similar to before the update.

I'm hoping to log the infamous "pause" in the next few days as I charge the traction back up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The only thing that worries me is that both Hyundai and LG Chem repeatedly stated that they do not have a conclusive root cause.
So that makes this fix an educated guess as to what needed fixing. Is there an update on this?

I am amazed that they (dealers and Hyundai) are willing to go on record saying "You do not need to park your car outside any more,
after you had the software upgrade". If a fire occurs anyhoo, this makes them clearly liable.

I think it is premature to conclude from anecdotal evidence whether the fix works or not. Enough time must pass with lots of people
charging the vehicle having the updated software. I would be cautiously optimistic if we see no more battery fires at all in the span
of the next year.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
141 Posts
There's no update to the root cause, but I don't believe any examples have spontaneously combusted since the upgrade - for what that's worth. But there are a handful of reports of vehicles being "bricked" worldwide, all which anecdotally appear to be due to the update doing its job. It's been mentioned that the rate is roughly 1 in 1000 examples. We have 800 Konas in NZ and have had one pending battery replacement reported on FB, parts due late Jan.

Of course even having the ability to detect the onset of a battery problem, it's troubling that in some countries the battery warranty is limited time-wise, 7 years for me and I'm in my 3rd year now. I'm sure this is far from over liability-wise. We have the similar Bolt issue to follow as well and I suspect that might be the same root cause given the same cell manufacturer and even the same cell capacity (180Ah).
Kiwi, How do you do 95%? The car allows me to set this in 10% increments only. I can do 90% or 100%.
Nothing clever. I set the limit to 90% then after it finishes change it to 100% and add 2.5 hours. Conveniently my portable EVSE adds exactly 2% per hour. What's as puzzling as missing such logical limit settings as 85% and 95% is that you can choose 10%.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bricked? Disturbing.. As in: dead, non-responsive, and nothing can be done to get the car to charge or to run? Do you have a link?

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
141 Posts
Their words rather than mine; certainly an incorrect use of the term. A few examples I could find quickly, noting that it's mostly those with problems that post messages in forums. Just a note on my last post, the cells mentioned are 60Ah, not 180Ah.

From NZ:

The conclusion was: "The main battery died before they could check it out. ... I should have my car back by the end of January."

From S. Korea:

From India, pertaining to the smaller battery version, ~40kWh:

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
141 Posts
So, happy holidays all. 2 weeks past my Campaign 196 BMS update and I can certainly say that on-board calculated data is not terribly accurate yet, no doubt because the battery's energy odometers were reset to zero during the update. It could take perhaps 10 complete traction battery cycles to tidy that up, about 4,000 km. By calculated data I mean the SoC, GoM and driving history.

I also see short bursts of half-hourly activity for several hours after the start of driving or charging events, based on BM2 data. It seems to be checking something - perhaps looking for cell voltage drops not correlated with the measured energy flow out of the battery. This would certainly indicate the onset of a cell insulator problem. Once 3-5 hours has passed with the car parked it settles down to the usual 4 hourly wake-up to charge the aux battery.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had a bad feeling about the software update from the getgo, because Hyundai never gave a clear explanation or root cause. All the information we had, or guessed as to what the heck did they actually fix was second hand / speculation although well reasoned .

The disturbing thing, they either do not know for sure, or won't say. Both are bad IMO. I think this time they will have to get to the bottom of this, and be open with us. A this point they are developing a credibility problem, at least with me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not good.

Blurg. I'll put mine back on charge tonight and see if it does the 10 minute check. First time I got it back I checked that it seemed to do the check, 2nd time I checked it didnt look like it did it. That made me doubt the software update when I saw that.

P

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a bad feeling about the software update from the getgo, because Hyundai never gave a clear explanation or root cause. All the information we had, or guessed as to what the heck did they actually fix was second hand / speculation although well reasoned .

The disturbing thing, they either do not know for sure, or won't say. Both are bad IMO. I think this time they will have to get to the bottom of this, and be open with us. A this point they are developing a credibility problem, at least with me.
Yeah I have been looking at the Ioniq-5 as my exit strategy but credibility is now an issue as you said, and all the things to risk on an all new skate design.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am going back to 80% max charging . I was doing 90% lately.
Seems like that is what Chevy is recommending. Same battery manufacturer... Given the lack of any other recommendation, and I do not need the full range
It seems that is the safest thing I can do. Maybe a superstition, but it makes me feel better. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
A this point, I would wait on getting a new Hyundai until there are enough of them for long enough time in customer's hands to feel safe that the battery fires
are behind us. Or at least, wait for a candid explanation directly from Hyundai to explain what this issue was, and why it is no longer an issue, given any solution
they propose.

I would take a different brand battery if they offered it with a convincing explanation, or a subsidized trade for later model Kona EV with a redesigned Propulsion battery and BM.

Although, here in the US, the 2019-s have a lifetime battery warranty (whatever that actually means) , vs. the newer models only offer 7 years max. So any trade-in would
likely lose that lifetime warranty.

Having do a "normal" trade-in would mean taking a significant hit on the the first couple of years of depreciation. So I don't see that as an ideal solution to this.

161 - 180 of 223 Posts