Hyundai Kona Forum banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I believe they meant (and carried out) 180 degrees rather than 80, just a typo. Not that it matters if they failed to click their heels together afterwards.
Yeah I thought it should be 180 but they kept saying 80 so I didn't bother pinging them. Other forums said 180 as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
"Click their heels together"

I take it you are questioning if this is a rational fix, or a magic trick, which would fail to work if they
forgot part of the incantation?

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
101 Posts
"Click their heels together"

I take it you are questioning if this is a rational fix, or a magic trick, which would fail to work if they
forgot part of the incantation?
Well, I won’t repeat what I said in the referenced thread but if it works it’s because the spline suffered damage and this just hides the noise temporarily.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Got the battery recall done. like others said, just a software update and battery check. Pretty anticlimactic. Charging to 100% now with Chargepoint. Will see what the charging graph looks like.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK I got it up to 100% charge overnight, my super cheap EV off peak time is midnight to 4AM. 7.6kw single phase charger.The time slices on these reports are 15 minutes I think, with some splining on curves to make it as smooth as it can for visual effect. Wonder if I can get the more raw data somehow, solaredge inverter. So the caveat I guess is if the BMS is running a diagnosis for less than 15 mins these splines might be misleading. Photos
  1. Running at peak till 2:45
  2. 5.6 kw at 3
  3. BMS might be running a diagnosis at 3:15
  4. Trickle charges ? from 3:30 to get to 100%
Unfortunately I didn't get a control of what it looked like before the BMS update. I will scroll through the past months and see if I can find one but it might take a while.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
101 Posts
Well, we can see signs of at least one "rest" period and perhaps the same same later at 0400.
Having neither of the 2 BMS updates on mine but unfortunately not having a 7.4 kW EVSE at home, thinking out loud whether I can get up early enough tomorrow to record an AC charging profile using TP outside the local bigbox free charger before they open (The Warehouse). But I've been instructed to stay under 80% so I'd better not ignore that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, we can see signs of at least one "rest" period and perhaps the same same later at 0400.
Having neither of the 2 BMS updates on mine but unfortunately not having a 7.4 kW EVSE at home, thinking out loud whether I can get up early enough tomorrow to record an AC charging profile using TP outside the local bigbox free charger before they open (The Warehouse). But I've been instructed to stay under 80% so I'd better not ignore that.
Yeah the 4AM wont be a rest period because the internal off peak timer would cut it off at 4AM and it got to 100% charge, so I think it hit 100% between 3:45 and 4 then cut off.
Keen to see @coder grapgs, if it's chargefox I'm wondering if its a DC charger though. I wouldnt go over 80% on a DC.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
30 Posts
Does anyone know if ALL 2020 Kona EVs are recalled? Also my parents got a 2021 in July this year so I guess they are good (although the media seems to say 2021s are barely if at all available now).

I am in Canada by the way and on Hyundai's recall website for Canada my VIN still comes up as no recall...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am watching my Chargepoint charger's log (graph) Charging the car from from 60% to 100%. The charger shows a steady 7.5KW charging rate until 80% full. At that time, I see a V shaped notch, the rate dropping down to 0.5kw, Looks like, for about a 20 minute "low rate" charging period. It drops, and raises gradually (steeply), and then continues at a steady 7.5kw rate.

I stopped the charging session at 96% full. At that point all my cells read 4.14V and the 4 banks read 22,22,22, and 23 celsius. Within the 0.02v measurement resolution, there is some variation.
The BMS reports 1 cell is at the minimum voltage and 30 cells are at the maximum voltage (both reported as 4.14, clearly all internal measurements are rounded) . So there appears to be some cell voltage variation, but it is within the 0.02V

The car reports an estimated range of 300 Miles when fully charged. This is clearly an optimistic heuristic estimate, because all internal history seems to be reset after the software reimage.
One interesting thing, in my prior charging sessions, I observed the charge rate gradually dropped down past 80% charged, converging to zero as it was approaching 100%. I do not see that now,
the charging rate remained 7.5KW from 80% to 96%.

Anybody seen this with a level2 charger? Complicates matters, that I have just replaced my charger (The previous one lost its Wifi connectivity)

I asked the service rep about the 80% limit before the battery update. The us mail I got from Hyundai did not say anything about that, and the service writer had no knowledge of any such recommendation ( there should be obviously no limit after the software update, I specifically asked about "prior to the update").
Ah there seems to be a new option on the battery management section on the car, which allows limiting the charging current for level 1 and level2 chargers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry, no graphs, just tables. I could capture the actual output from the phone and post. Not sure how useful that would be, It is pretty clean and simple and I described it correctly above.
Before the software update, I have seen some cells go up and down in voltage for a while, after the charge completed (within the 0.02V range), I do not see that now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mr T it is interesting that after the 20 minute pause, your charge rate does not go back up to the full 7.5K, it finishes the charge at a reduced charge rate. Is this with the new software?
My observation of getting the full 7.5Kw charge rate after the 20 min pause may be specific to me new (replaced) charger.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
101 Posts
... the rate dropping down to 0.5kw, Looks like, for about a 20 minute "low rate" charging period.
Within the 0.02v measurement resolution, there is some variation.
The BMS reports 1 cell is at the minimum voltage and 30 cells are at the maximum voltage (both reported as 4.14, clearly all internal measurements are rounded) . So there appears to be some cell voltage variation, but it is within the 0.02V ...
The 0.5 kW seems just like hitting the unlock button, it's just enough power to keep the onboard charger and LDC alive so that the session doesn't terminate. I suspect the battery needs to be evaluated at zero or near-zero current.
We don't really know if the cell voltage values end up appearing rounded or truncated to the actual values but the latter is more likely, IMO. If you add up all the cell values and compare that with the pack voltage you'll find that the latter is higher rather than nearly the same.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think this new "eval" phase they added is more or less a no-op, unless you have short charge sessions, crossing the 80%. full mark. Below 80% the pause does not happen, so if you do not go above 80% you will not see it. If your charge session is long, and you cross above 80% , the 20 min added to your charge time is a relatively small % of the total time, and it usually happens at night, while you sleep. So: Who cares?

Further, It is possible that they now charge at the full charge rate of the on-board charger instead of tapering down (above 80%), in which case we probably make up for the 20 minutes.
This last observation needs to be verified by comparing before and after software update sessions. I have a few older graphs, that do show the tapering down, but my charger does not plot the battery full %, only the charge rate against time. My "time" axis only shows the start and end time, so I have to eyeball the time intervals in between.

I have a 100 mi drive coming up this Saturday, before I do that I will charge up the car from 96% to 100% just before, and see what kind of graph I get. There may be some plot-able csv data that can be had from SoulEVSpy, or Torque I will look into that as well.

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
222 Posts
Just to add fuel to the ... oh, nevermind ...
Looks like a much quicker response from GM than we had from Hyundai. Although I suspect the Hyundai publicity may have ignited GM’s interest.

[edit: if you want to get really depressed look up “stranded energy”]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Got my recall done today. All good, and can park in my garage now without fear of it blowing up...

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
101 Posts
[edit: if you want to get really depressed look up “stranded energy”]
I worked out the the Kona's battery fully charged has the heat energy equivalent of 18 liters (4.75 US gal) of gasoline.
For what it's worth there's a QR code on one of the door pillars (driver's side, I think) that links you to an emergency response document for the Kona.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone who uses Soul EV Spy had the BMS update yet? I received a couple of different ODB dongles yesterday, they both work with EV Spy but interestingly enough I cant get any output on the BMS or Battery cells. Got all the other data fine.

Wondering if EV Spy needs an update, or maybe the Lite version doesnt have it?

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
101 Posts
The Lite version apparently doesn't read that stuff after the previous BMS update, 960. The Pro version works fine according to other owners but I don't know for sure if that's also true after the current campaign,196.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts