Hyundai Kona Forum banner
401 - 409 of 409 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any other Hyundai KONA EV owners in Illinois out here? I just purchased our 2019 KONA EV and been trying for the last three weeks to get the recall P200 battery recall done. Hyundai USA customer support line is basically clue less about this recall They find me local dealers who they say can do it. I call the dealer and they tell me they don't have the parts (batteries & harnesses) or the proper 1,000 Lb scissor lift needed. Very frustrating. I actually found the Hyundai recall install PDF file online! I think it is time for ALL Hyundai KONA EV owners to call and enter in a complaint to the NHTSA using their VIN number. Call them here: 1-888-327-4236. If enough owners complain, they told me they will place addition pressure/mandates on Hyundai to implement this recall. This has been going on since December, 2020! I would think Hyundai would have rolled out a national recall P200 plan by now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I JUST received notification that the "REMEDY IS AVAILABLE" for my 2020 KONA Ultimate. I am scheduled to take car to the Service Center (SF BAY AREA) next Wed, the 29th. The Recall says "BATT ASSY.INS, REP & S/W UPD(21-01-046H-1)"

I REALLYI hope this isn't just a Inspect & s/w update, but actually the BATTERY gets replaced !! If not, I will always have that fear in my head of burning down the house while charging.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In all likelihood, they probably diagnosed your car as being at risk of catching on fire, so given that they know that, they do not want you to drive it. As far as the long wait for battery: they have to order the battery for you, which they do not keep in stock at the dealership at all.( way too expensive to stock). The battery is manufactured overseas, and shipped by boat.
Even if they had the battery ready for you in China or Korea, getting it here by boat is probably weeks. Given what we have seen (some people had to wait over 2 month), 3 weeks is not too bad.
You may be able to get a loaner in the meantime. Certainly does not hurt to ask.

Shipping by air would be way too expensive due to the massive weight of the battery packs. We hope that the current battery shortage in the US will get better, when SK-s US based new manufacturing plant scales up production. Unless they invest in the logistics by placing massive orders, and start warehousing these batteries close to the the dealers who can do the replacement, this is going to be a slow process we are seeing, and intially only reach the owners who's cars already shut down. Is HMC going to do improve on the logistics? Who knows. They said they would replace all of the faulty batteries, but I am not convinced. From what I have seen so far, some owners got buyback offers, and some had the battery replaced. Those with no manifest battery failure
are limping along on 80% max charge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
re: CODER response. Not sure if you're referring to my thread. But I called the service dept to get some clarity about just what they're going to do. (They already have completed several of these so far.) I was told that they need to upload a pic of the current BATTERY date & serial number to send to HYUNDAI to get authorization first. (mine are dated 10/10/2019) .. I asked if they will be keeping the car & was told it depends on the diagnostics .. if an ERROR is found (Battery Assembly), they will keep the car & provide a loaner until the battery is replaced. If no errors found, they will return my car until the battery comes in. I have an OBD diagnostic device & my Cells are ALL within tolerance/specs. So I'm hoping for the best - they will give me back the car until battery arrives. I'll report the results on Thursday.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi Cody, I was mostly replying to JERM-s and opthers post, who was asking "Why the heck does it take so long to replace the battery?"
My impression is that HMC is a bit dragging their feet on this.

Note that I am just speculating here:

If you think about it, every battery replacement is a net loss for them. (I recall the battery costs mega money, like $20+K. The cost is afaik split between LG and HMC)

IMO It may be better for them to spread out the the cost of the recall over as long of a time period as they can get away with,
As long as there is no significant damage to their image, and brand, and their new EV-s and other vehicles continue to sell.
and they can maintain the PR stance that "they are committed to a solution, working on the problem, doing their best..."

As the battery manufacturing becomes more efficient, the cost of the batteries will y come down, so over time
it will become less expensive for them to do a battery replacement. The recall, as it is, also has to complete for batteries with the new veyhicle production.
So IMO there are all kinds of reasons for them to drag the battery replacement campaign out.

We will have to see how well the new ioniq does in the marketplace. The damage from the Kona battery fiasco will manifest there, if it does.
If the sales figures are disappointing because of the negative PR effect of this, maybe they put some real effort into the battery remediation campaign.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Update on my RECALL -- So went to my appt yesterday for RECALL 200. All they did was snap and upload a pic of the serial number & date of my EV Battery (2019/10/10), run diagnostics on it to see if any error codes popped up. There were none. So they applied a SOFTWARE Update to allow me to again charge to 100% and washed my car and returned it - all in 3 hours. Sigh - was really hoping they'd be replaced. There was a note in my invoice that "Hyundai MAY replace the battery at a future time. Probably after our house burns down due to a battery fire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yesterday I received a letter from Hyundai UK, dated 27 Sept 21, saying that my 2019 Kona EV will be recalled between Oct 21 and Oct 22. That's progress I guess.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Kona EV for those who have had there vehicles kept while waiting for a new battery, have they supplied you with a loaner and if so is it an EV?

401 - 409 of 409 Posts