Hyundai Kona Forum banner
381 - 400 of 440 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yea, that's my sense as well (no new battery). I have an OBD device that I check my Cells after every charge (to 80%) and all of my cells are spot on - no difference between any of them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Received a call from an 888 number, scheduled the first of 2 appointments for Tuesday June 29 at local dealer. They will inspect my 2019 Kona for a "parts list" (they don't know what parts are needed?) and then call me again to schedule the exchange.
Dealer had my car half a day on July 13, told me Hyundai approved a replacement battery, would be in contact with me in a day or two. It’s been over a week so far. I will drop by the dealer tomorrow to determine status. For now, I am not driving it much since my charger is next to my house and I don’t want to charge it very often. I will post next when I know more.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm in the US. I received an ALERT MSG in my Bluelink APP yesterday. It is an update on the "REMEDY" for Recall 200. It said that the 2019 Models now have a "REMEDY" and are supposed to contact their Service Dept to arrange the fix. The 2020 Models still do NOT have a Remedy and will be advised in the coming months.
Hi Cody21,
Did you find out anything further on the remedy the dealer alerted you about?

Are you really up for a battery update (without the car shutting down on you) , or was this some lame BS on the dealer 's part to check if you have the latest BMS software
and to set your charge limit to 80%. Many of us watching with great interest for any sign that Hyundai actually started following through the promise they made to their customers
that they will replace all the defective batteries, symptomatic or not. I am concerned that they just backpedal on this and string us along, and this promise just turns into a mass buyback
campaign @ not so favorable terms. I fail to see how they would be able to come up with the large number of extra batteries they would need to follow through.

ESP using the totally lame logistics they use now ( approve battery : up to 2 months, order battery from factory, factory manufactures the ordered battery , then ship battery by boat.
This logistic chain is obviously not scalable to "replace 70 thousand batteries in some semblance of a reasonable timeframe". I think now the announcement was posturing.
LG is supposed to pick up most of the tab ( 70% as I recall). So

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dealer had my car half a day on July 13, told me Hyundai approved a replacement battery, would be in contact with me in a day or two. It’s been over a week so far. I will drop by the dealer tomorrow to determine status. For now, I am not driving it much since my charger is next to my house and I don’t want to charge it very often. I will post next when I know more.
Talked with dealer yesterday. They have replaced batteries in 5 Kona EV’s. First one took over 4 hours, the 5th one took 1.5 hours. They have 5 more scheduled as soon as more batteries arrive, mine is one of those.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Cody21,

Are you really up for a battery update (without the car shutting down on you) , or was this some lame BS on the dealer 's part to check if you have the latest BMS software
and to set your charge limit to 80%. Many of us watching with great interest for any sign that Hyundai actually started following through the promise they made to their customers
that they will replace all the defective batteries, symptomatic or not. I am concerned that they just backpedal on this and string us along, and this promise just turns into a mass buyback
campaign @ not so favorable terms. I fail to see how they would be able to come up with the large number of extra batteries they would need to follow through.

ESP using the totally lame logistics they use now ( approve battery : up to 2 months, order battery from factory, factory manufactures the ordered battery , then ship battery by boat.
This logistic chain is obviously not scalable to "replace 70 thousand batteries in some semblance of a reasonable timeframe". I think now the announcement was posturing.
Might want to rethink your opinion. My Dealer has already replaced full battery packs in 5 Kona EV’s, has 5 more on their list, including mine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Cody21,

that they will replace all the defective batteries, symptomatic or not. ........
I have not yet heard back from the Service dept. All I can reiterate is what the guy told me a couple weeks ago - that "Your Car is slated for the Battery Replacement recall 200. Once it switched to 200X, you'll be notified to bring in for the replacement." I actually trust this guy - he is very knowledgeable & has been very upfront with me all along. They have already done several swaps & have all the requisite equipment ... just waiting on BATTERIES..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,
Just wanted to give my recent experience here: I've been getting letters and emails from Hyundai on the recall 200/200X all online info (snail mail lags behind quite a bit). I had spoken with Customer Support at Hyundai (the toll free number) and they said to contact a dealer that works with the Kona EV. The dealer asked to bring in the car to check the s/n on the battery to see what corrective action Hyundai would take. A day or 2 after that appointment the dealer called and said they had ordered the battery from Hyundai and they would call me when it arrived to do the replacement. It was about 10 days later that I got the call that the battery had arrived. Way faster than I thought it would be. They replaced the battery on Aug 2nd and I picked it up the next day. It was fully charged to 100% and the range said 320 miles! Just like it was when it was a brand new car! I hope everyone that needs it gets the same good service that I got, it's restored my faith in Hyundai, despite the initial lack of communication.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi All,
Just wanted to give my recent experience here: I've been getting letters and emails from Hyundai on the recall 200/200X all online info (snail mail lags behind quite a bit). I had spoken with Customer Support at Hyundai (the toll free number) and they said to contact a dealer that works with the Kona EV. The dealer asked to bring in the car to check the s/n on the battery to see what corrective action Hyundai would take. A day or 2 after that appointment the dealer called and said they had ordered the battery from Hyundai and they would call me when it arrived to do the replacement. It was about 10 days later that I got the call that the battery had arrived. Way faster than I thought it would be. They replaced the battery on Aug 2nd and I picked it up the next day. It was fully charged to 100% and the range said 320 miles! Just like it was when it was a brand new car! I hope everyone that needs it gets the same good service that I got, it's restored my faith in Hyundai, despite the initial lack of communication.
What year is your car and where are you located?
I have a 2020 Ultimate here in California, and last I saw they had started with 2019 models, but the 2020 was still awaiting a "remedy".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi All,
10 days for me, too, located in Ventura County, SoCal. Replacement batteries have come into the dealer, Alexander Hyundai. Mine is scheduled for replacement on next Tuesday. They have the process down to 5 hours!

·
Registered
13 Posts
10 days for me, too, located in Ventura County, SoCal. Replacement batteries have come into the dealer, Alexander Hyundai. Mine is scheduled for replacement on next Tuesday. They have the process down to 5 hours!
Alexander is a great dealership. That's where I purchased mine. Hopefully they'll get stated on the 2020 models soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Drove in about 9 am yesterday, picked up my kona with new battery about 4 pm. Charge settings were set to the original default of 100% for both DCFC and Level 2. I changed them both back to 90%, but it is great to have the range back to what it was before the OTA update a few months ago. Done! Good luck to everyone with their battery replacements!

·
Registered
4 Posts
2 months after bringing my car in for recall 200 and receiving a software update and a thumbs-up on the battery.... I've gotten a new email from Hyundai USA that recall 200 will be launched soon and my VIN is showing recall 200 as open again! Oy...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Drove in about 9 am yesterday, picked up my kona with new battery about 4 pm. Charge settings were set to the original default of 100% for both DCFC and Level 2. I changed them both back to 90%, but it is great to have the range back to what it was before the OTA update a few months ago. Done! Good luck to everyone with their battery replacements!
Don't celebrate too early yet.
I am seeing new batteries having the same issue as before. Looks like LG did not get to the root of the problem.
A friend's car, MY2021, Battery Mar 2021, ODO 2106 km only. Now parked at dealer waiting for battery replacement.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hmm. I thought the replacement batteries woudl be SK not LG? HONS all you are saying that a friend has a LG battery of later manufacture, that is not supposed to have this problem, but does.
If I am reading you post correctly, this was not a replacement battery, just a later vintage LG, right?
So it is possible that the replacement (SK) batteries indeed spolve the problem. Pls. Correct me if I miunderstood something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmm. I thought the replacement batteries woudl be SK not LG? HONS all you are saying that a friend has a LG battery of later manufacture, that is not supposed to have this problem, but does.
If I am reading you post correctly, this was not a replacement battery, just a later vintage LG, right?
So it is possible that the replacement (SK) batteries indeed spolve the problem. Pls. Correct me if I miunderstood something.
this is a new 2021/22 kona with new battery from lg chem, manufactured in march 2021, i.e. improved version.
i would assume all replacement batteries are the same as the one in this new car..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just dropped off my 2019 at the dealer for the recall on Thursday. Friday I tracked down the service manager (they didn't bother to let me know what was going on) who said the battery was going to be replaced and had been ordered from Hyundai. They told me they could not release the car to me and that it might take three weeks to get and install the battery. Has anyone else had to wait that long or not be able to get the car back? It never occurred to me that the dealer would schedule the recall service without having the replacement battery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is what a lot of people are reporting - car unavailable for 3-4 weeks after they get their hands on the car. Stupid, yea. I mean, it takes all of 3-4 hours to perform the replacement - WTF DO THEY REQUIRE THE CAR FOR A MONTH? My Dealer has yet to call mine in (2020), but he DID say they'd need the car for almost a month !! Not happy ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, not happy to say the least.

My dealer said nothing to prepare me, so I hadn't cleaned out the car of any of the things we regularly use. Up to this point, everything with the car had been great

381 - 400 of 440 Posts