Hyundai Kona Forum banner
361 - 380 of 440 Posts

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
272 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Nobody has reported getting a BMS update instead of a replacement battery. Let us know afterwards.
As I understand it BMS update was offered by GM as one option for the Bolt. It had battery fires & used same LG Chem battery manufacturing plant as Kona. And from memory had about the same number of EVs affected as Hyundai.

Like you I will watch developments with great interest & some trepidation.

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
63 Posts
This is scary. Apparently the battery caught fire randomly on a Kona made after the battery issue was fixed:
autoevolution: Hyundai Kona Electric That Caught Fire In Norway Was Not Included In Recall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Nobody has reported getting a BMS update instead of a replacement battery. Let us know afterwards.
It is the message they left. They made the statement and then repeated themselves. "...contact us to determine if it needs a software upate only, or, if it needs an EV battery repalcement." They specifically used the "O" word (only). I will let everyone know what happens. I'll call them tomorrow. Maybe because this came from the manufacturer rather than the dealer they are not aware that I've had all updates already (which may be a required prerequisit to battery replacement... I don't konw). For sure I'm not a happy camper without a replacement.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Received a call from an 888 number, scheduled the first of 2 appointments for Tuesday June 29 at local dealer. They will inspect my 2019 Kona for a "parts list" (they don't know what parts are needed?) and then call me again to schedule the exchange.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok. Looking good. Called Carlsbad Hyundai this morning and they said they are ready to do me with a recall 200. I asked what the specific activity related to this recall was. She said, "we will be replacing your battery." (sweeter words could not have been expected - yipee!). They will call me back when a slot opens up. Apparently they can only do one at a time given the space needed to store the new battery. They did say the new battery they were expecting in last week for a customer ahead of me didn't arrive. She indicated I'm #2 in the queue. Gotta say, Hyundai is doing the right thing by me... And with tweaks to the FCA/FCW and SCC operations from recent firmware updates, things are looking much sweeter now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hmm, Carlsbad. I grew up in La Jolla and lived in Mira Mesa for 30 years total. I think I've managed to de-stress and re-evaluate a lot since leaving the US by not worrying so much about the "fear of missing out" and not receiving everything I thought I should be entitled to. I'm certain I'll get a new battery when it's my turn and with all due respect I won't be assuming that my good fortune is all that matters to other owners.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok. Looking good. Called Carlsbad Hyundai this morning and they said they are ready to do me with a recall 200. I asked what the specific activity related to this recall was. She said, "we will be replacing your battery." (sweeter words could not have been expected - yipee!). They will call me back when a slot opens up. Apparently they can only do one at a time given the space needed to store the new battery. They did say the new battery they were expecting in last week for a customer ahead of me didn't arrive. She indicated I'm #2 in the queue. Gotta say, Hyundai is doing the right thing by me... And with tweaks to the FCA/FCW and SCC operations from recent firmware updates, things are looking much sweeter now.
I assume you have a model year 2019 ???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm, Carlsbad. I grew up in La Jolla and lived in Mira Mesa for 30 years total. I think I've managed to de-stress and re-evaluate a lot since leaving the US by not worrying so much about the "fear of missing out" and not receiving everything I thought I should be entitled to. I'm certain I'll get a new battery when it's my turn and with all due respect I won't be assuming that my good fortune is all that matters to other owners.
i was simply sharing my views as i see it. sorry if i came off too fortuney for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I brought my 2019 Kona (build date 6/15/2019) to the service center for regular maintenance, and to my surprise, they said they would do recall 200 for me that day. I went back Hyundai USA's recall site and double-checked, since I hadn't received any word that the remedy was ready yet, and the text had been updated from "all batteries get replaced" to "software update and inspection, and battery replacement if needed." The service center did the update/inspection and said no battery replacement was needed. I also got a rubber boot for my lvl 1 charger? Not sure what that's about.

Anyway, I haven't seen anyone reporting a similar experience so I'm wondering if I'm going crazy 😖 We baby the battery anyway so I feel okay about the fire risk for now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
2019 Kona (build date 6/15/2019) ...Anyway, I haven't seen anyone reporting a similar experience so I'm wondering if I'm going crazy 😖 We baby the battery anyway so I feel okay about the fire risk for now.
A few others have mentioned a similar thing on FB. It's still unclear if all Konas built pre March 2020 require battery replacement but you'd have to assume that Hyundai corporate and the numerous globals importers know a lot more about our cars than we do.
The boot for the EVSE is certainly just to bring it into regulatory compliance, meaning for the "drop test".

·
Registered
2020 Kona EV preferred trim, trailer hitch with wiring
63 Posts
I took my 2020 Kona in for its first service. They did a BMS update. See the receipt. They apparently it looks like do not replace batteries in cars built after March 2020. Hope this update does not slow quick charging or anything funny like that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You don't have anything there that lots of other owners don't already have and no one has reported significant slow-downs other than the 10 minute pauses at 82% and allegedly at 90-something percent that were implemented about May 2020. That may have been present in your car since new. Check if it does that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A few others have mentioned a similar thing on FB. It's still unclear if all Konas built pre March 2020 require battery replacement but you'd have to assume that Hyundai corporate and the numerous globals importers know a lot more about our cars than we do.
The boot for the EVSE is certainly just to bring it into regulatory compliance, meaning for the "drop test".
Alright, so I'm not alone! It would make me more confident if I knew how they figured out what batteries don't need to be replaced, but for now I'm satisfied with having done my due diligence so that Hyundai is still on the hook if problems arise later on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I chatted with my Service Dept. yesterday - SF BAY AREA, USA. I asked about the status of RECALL 200 for my 2020 Ultimate. He looked it up and said "yea, your car is on the recall list for the battery replacement. Hyundai will change the recall from 200 to 200-X when the battery replacement is ready for you." I guess that is better than him saying "Determine if a battery replacement IS necessary." ... Waiting for that notification.
:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I decided to call the Hyundai customer care number and was given the response that there was a "remedy" for the Campaign #200 which was #200X. He said he couldn't say anymore about it other than I should call a dealer near me that can service the EV and they will tell me how to proceed. I called the dealer and they said that the process was to make an appointment to bring the car in and they would take a photo of the battery number and send it in to Hyundai and Hyundai will tell them what to do from there, whether or not to order a new battery and replace it or just update any software. Either way, the dealer told me, the max charging would stay at 80% even with the new battery.

·
Registered
2019 Kona EV
224 Posts
Not so with mine. I have a 2019, manufactured in Dec/2018. It was on the original recall list and my charging was then restricted to 80%. But just today I got an email from Hyundai Canada saying to take in to the dealer for a another updated recall inspection. If the car passes, I can charge again to 100%. If not, my battery will be replaced. Here is a portion of that email with that text.
Once your EV battery has been inspected and possibly replaced by your Hyundai Dealership, the State of Charge (SoC) will be updated by your dealership and you will be able to charge to 100%. Should you wish to do this on your own, please follow the below instructions:

So I popped over to the dealer today to ask them about this, and they confirmed this a new update to the initial recall notice. However, they don't yet have the new "remedy" inspection software at the dealer, and so was advised to wait a week to schedule my appointment. The service manager explained they have had meetings about this, and now believe that only about 10% of cars on the original recall list have bad batteries. So I guess I will find out soon enough about mine.

I was a little disappointed, though, as I was looking forward to a brand new battery. Now that may not happen.

361 - 380 of 440 Posts