Hyundai Kona Forum banner
341 - 360 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
228 Posts
You're don't appear to be domiciled in the USA so I am unsure why you'd rely on that US site which covers US cars only. There's little or zero chance that a 2019 Kona would be unaffected by the recall. If you're up to the risk you should first ask your country's importer (Jordan?) if they'll cover this vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're don't appear to be domiciled in the USA so am unsure why you'd rely on that US site which covers US cars only. There's little or zero chance that a 2019 Kona would be unaffected by the recall. If you're up to the risk you should first ask your country's importer (Jordan?) if they'll cover this vehicle.
Yes i am based in Jordan, and i don't think the car is covered. I asked Hyundai Jordan if they accept the lifetime battery insurance and they said no. They even don't know about the recall problem and much about the car itself.

I guess i will stay away. Do you recommend any other electric car with similar specs ?

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
228 Posts
But I notice they advertise the Kona Electric?
A similar car is the Kia eNiro.

·
Registered
8 Posts
But I notice they advertise the Kona Electric?
A similar car is the Kia eNiro.
View attachment 5339
Yes they sell it, though when I asked about the warranty if the car was bought elsewhere they said they will not cover battery insurance.
The car that I found was imported from South Korea. They have a good deal on it. The seller told me today that it was recalled at Hyundai S. Korea and the battery was checked, fixed for any issues but was not replaced.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
228 Posts
... The seller told me today that it was recalled at Hyundai S. Korea and the battery was checked, fixed for any issues but was not replaced.
Yeah, that's a ticking time bomb for the next owner, unless perhaps they kept the charge level to 80 or 90%. To be fair, the salesman may not be aware of how serious or extensive this recall is.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes they sell it, though when I asked about the warranty if the car was bought elsewhere they said they will not cover battery insurance.
The car that I found was imported from South Korea. They have a good deal on it. The seller told me today that it was recalled at Hyundai S. Korea and the battery was checked, fixed for any issues but was not replaced.
Just to be clear: If the battery is subject to recall #200, it cannot be "fixed" without replacing it. It has a manufacturing defect, which is not fixable in the field.
At best, you have to restrict the charging to 80% max capacity, or you run the risk of an unpleasant battery fire.

There could be some of the earlier recalls already done, mostly enhancements to the battery management software, to detect any anomalies leading up to an impending battery fire.
If the car has those recalls done already, and the battery deterioration is detected, the car will shut itself down, and will not be drivable. Here in the USA, at that point the car has to be towed to a dealer, where it waits for a new battery to be approved and ordered under warranty. Typical wait time may be up to some months. Meanwhile, if the owner is lucky the dealer provides alternative transportation, or an allowance to cover rental.

If you buy the car with no battery warranty coverage, and you get into this situation, you have to pay for the battery replacement out of pocket, and you will be without the car until they can get a battery shipped.

In addition, dealer know-how and tooling to do a propulsion battery replacement may be nonexistent.

At that point , you may not have any good options, other than to walk away from the car. I am not sure what a new propulsion battery costs, but I recall it is well over $10K

If the car you are looking at has no clear path to a full propulsion battery warranty replacement, I would not buy it.

Some other EV options are: Vw Id4, New ( 2021 or later) Kona EV with updated ( SK) battery, and full warranty, later this year the Ioniq suv that is coming out.
The new Chevy Bolt will have a new updated propulsion battery as well.
Keep in mind that for an EV, a level 2 home charger is fairly important, so you need to factor in the cost of installing that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Even if the car hadn't been recalled according to the nhtsa website ?
A 2019 manufacture Kona very likely has the problem battery. I would consider it way too risky.
Hyundai has an on-line VIN checker that will tell you if the battery is subject to the recall. The URL has been posted earlier in this thread.

When you type in the VIN, it is too easy to mis-read or mis-type it and then you get a false negative.
I have done this myself. Omitted a number, or mistook a letter for a number, something like "G" and "6".

·
Registered
MY20 Hyundai Kona Highlander
265 Posts
qusaizur:

am re-posting this for you, the Hyundai vin checker (specifically for the battery replacement recall) URL :

Pretty sure that link only works on Konas shipped to USA. My Aus Kona is subject to battery replacement but comes up on your link as not needing it.

Reactions: Mr P

·
Registered
2019/20 Electric Highlander
101 Posts
I only just noticed on the weekend, the 12v Battery Aux Saver is no longer an option in the user menu, I guess it's always on now after the recent BMS updates. Same for others I guess?

My 12v gave up after 1.6 yrs, it has had a rough start to life.

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
228 Posts
That missing option is also proof that update 196 was applied. What brand/type of 12V battery was used to replace the original?

·
Registered
2019/20 Electric Highlander
101 Posts
That missing option is also proof that update 196 was applied. What brand/type of 12V battery was used to replace the original?
44H1 the guy said, here's a photo of it. He wacks his own brand on some nameless battery, 2 year warranty but I've been using this guy for about 6 years now, always good product and service
Capture.PNG

He was hoping to go bigger when I explained my issues but couldn't fit a bigger one in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just to be clear: If the battery is subject to recall #200, it cannot be "fixed" without replacing it. It has a manufacturing defect, which is not fixable in the field.
At best, you have to restrict the charging to 80% max capacity, or you run the risk of an unpleasant battery fire.

There could be some of the earlier recalls already done, mostly enhancements to the battery management software, to detect any anomalies leading up to an impending battery fire.
If the car has those recalls done already, and the battery deterioration is detected, the car will shut itself down, and will not be drivable. Here in the USA, at that point the car has to be towed to a dealer, where it waits for a new battery to be approved and ordered under warranty. Typical wait time may be up to some months. Meanwhile, if the owner is lucky the dealer provides alternative transportation, or an allowance to cover rental.

If you buy the car with no battery warranty coverage, and you get into this situation, you have to pay for the battery replacement out of pocket, and you will be without the car until they can get a battery shipped.

In addition, dealer know-how and tooling to do a propulsion battery replacement may be nonexistent.

At that point , you may not have any good options, other than to walk away from the car. I am not sure what a new propulsion battery costs, but I recall it is well over $10K

If the car you are looking at has no clear path to a full propulsion battery warranty replacement, I would not buy it.

Some other EV options are: Vw Id4, New ( 2021 or later) Kona EV with updated ( SK) battery, and full warranty, later this year the Ioniq suv that is coming out.
The new Chevy Bolt will have a new updated propulsion battery as well.
Keep in mind that for an EV, a level 2 home charger is fairly important, so you need to factor in the cost of installing that.
Thank you very much for your advice. I have decided not to buy the car as i will not have insurance on it and i don’t want to be in fear of having a battery malfunction to replace out of pocket or of a fire hazard ! It’s simply not worth it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quisazur:

I would have made the same call. When you say insurance, I think you meant warranty? Really, one issue seems to be where you are, is the missing dealer support.

Ultimately, it is Hyundai who approves and pays for all covered warranty repairs. The dealer gets paid for the work, if it was approved.
And it is unclear based on what you told us if the car is covered by Warranty. Because the vehicle was made for a different market it may or may not be covered.
Only Hyundai can tell you what is the warranty status of this vehicle, based on the VIN.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have just re-read the thread. To summarize: The vehicle in question is either offered for sale by a private party, or an used car dealer. Nether of these could possibly offer meaningful warranty coverage. But you contacted a proper Hyundai dealer in Jordan, and they told you the car is not covered under warranty of any kind, (or just the lifetime propulsion battery warranty, or just any kind of propulsion battery warranty?) . I guess it is possible, based on the way the car was imported. But really, Hyundai is the final authority on this, and if they say the car is covered, then you can take that to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,217 Posts
Made this issue a sticky so it will stay updated with the latest.. Good luck to those involved with this..

·
Registered
9/18 EU base model
228 Posts
We are getting an update by the end of this week for the NZ market. We have about 450 affected units.

EDIT: and here it is, as promised. Glad to see they are still on board and not "bolting" on us like GM is doing to Bolt owners.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm in the US. I received an ALERT MSG in my Bluelink APP yesterday. It is an update on the "REMEDY" for Recall 200. It said that the 2019 Models now have a "REMEDY" and are supposed to contact their Service Dept to arrange the fix. The 2020 Models still do NOT have a Remedy and will be advised in the coming months.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in the US. I received an ALERT MSG in my Bluelink APP yesterday. It is an update on the "REMEDY" for Recall 200.
San Diego, CA. Got a message left on my phone vmail saying I'm up for recall 200. Made no reference to model year (mine is FEB 2019). They said call them back or call my local dealer. They also said they would either update the BMS or replace the battery. I've had all other BMS updates so far to date. Would rather have them replace the battery of course. Won't be able to trust the battery I have going forward even if they say it's ok.

341 - 360 of 386 Posts