Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

Yesterday I noticed that it appears that someone helped themself to my factory mast antenna and base cover exposing all the electronics under the cover No marks on the roof of anything striking the factory mast assembly. Although the picture looks like the rubber seal is torn, I thoroughly inspected it and it is all intact.

I quickly bought an aftermarket shark fin to cover it all up, but the fit is not very good and the wire connector for the new fin is to be bolted to the old covers mast mounting screw (which I no longer have). The radio reception is still ok, but when I pass under an overpass the signal cuts out.

So my question is my only option to buy an entire antenna assembly from Hyundai and if so, can I replace it with a factory shark fin that will just plug and play after I remove what's left of my current antenna assembly? I have the base radio with no Nav

I am also not against a fin that covers what is left, but need one that fits!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me follow up, I should say I believe someone took it as there are no marks. I guess it could have flown off on its own

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is quite interesting.

I'd take it to the dealer and say "...it's missing..." and leave it at that. "Situational Veracity" if you wanna call it that. See if they can put a new one on under warranty.

If not, then shell-out for a replacement. See what it takes for the dealer to install the new one. I have no idea how they "bolt" it to the roof.

That is cool to see what it inside, but not at the loss you have.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an apt Friday. Service advisor said a tech needs to inspect it to determine if it was a defect or something took it off. If I have to pay I would like to go to a factory shark fin, but not sure if the electrical connector is the same between my antenna and a shark fin. Absolute worst case I will keep my temp el cheapo shark fin I bought just to cover it all until the dealer inspects it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an apt Friday. Service advisor said a tech needs to inspect it to determine if it was a defect or something took it off. If I have to pay I would like to go to a factory shark fin, but not sure if the electrical connector is the same between my antenna and a shark fin. Absolute worst case I will keep my temp el cheapo shark fin I bought just to cover it all until the dealer inspects it.
To replace it from the dealer its going to run you $535. I took my kona to have the a c service because i had a bad smell coming from the air vents. When i picked it up and came home i notice the antenna was missing so went back to the dealer and raised the issue , they said it probably came off when they ran it thought their car wash. They replace it under warranty , no charge. I had to sign the disclaimer and it showed antenna replace under warranty $535. Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealership is replacing it under warranty.

If I had to pay, I would just buy the parts for 160 and do it myself. All that is needed if lower the rear end of the headliner to access one nut and one electrical connector. Maybe an hour tops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts