Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday 12/17/21 the shark fin cover somehow came off of the atenna. I went on a road trip and the cover was on when I left my home.

I got to my destination after 2-1/2 hours on the road and the cover was off exposing the atenna components. My dealer told me it is not warranted and I would have to pay $550.00 for the part and labor. I no longer get all of the FM stations had.

Does the underneath part of the fin have some sort of connection to the atenna? Or is it that my radio needs the fin on in order for the all FM stations to work? Is the antenna covered under the warranty?

Donna

Registered
Hyundai Kona 1.6T Premium
It's ridiculous that this isn't a warranty, parts shouldn't just fall off the car.
I would go to another dealer or write to Hyundai.

Registered
2018 Kona limited.
On Saturday 12/17/21 the shark fin cover somehow came off of the atenna. I went on a road trip and the cover was on when I left my home.

I got to my destination after 2-1/2 hours on the road and the cover was off exposing the atenna components. My dealer told me it is not warranted and I would have to pay $550.00 for the part and labor. I no longer get all of the FM stations had.

Does the underneath part of the fin have some sort of connection to the atenna? Or is it that my radio needs the fin on in order for the all FM stations to work? Is the antenna covered under the warranty?

Donna

There shouldn't be a shark fin antenna on a 2018 model, they didn't start that till mid 2019 model year. I would check a different dealership, mine antenna broke off once prior, and the dealership covered it, though it took 6 weeks to get it.

Registered
Hyundai Kona 1.6T Premium
I think you have a point there 1fastKona, 2018 models indeed don't have a sharkfin antenna so it might be an aftermarket antenna. :unsure:

Reactions: donna.glaze

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's ridiculous that this isn't a warranty, parts shouldn't just fall off the car.
I would go to another dealer or write to Hyundai.
I took your advice and called another dealer near Philadelphia The service department was closed at the time of the call. However, the sales person agreed the part should be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty and is going to research in the morning. Thank you for your advice!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success!!! I bought the antenna from Amazon for $28.61 some clear silicone.. hooked the copper wire to the base ...fully functional radio is back!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Donna
I think you have a point there 1fastKona, 2018 models indeed don't have a sharkfin antenna so it might be an aftermarket antenna. :unsure:
Success...I bought the antenna from Amazon including shipping $28.61 Shark cover had the components needed to attach to the base. Connected the two together. Used clear silicone. And wah-la! My radio is fully functional!!!

Attachments

Registered
Success...I bought the antenna from Amazon including shipping $28.61 Shark cover had the components needed to attach to the base. Connected the two together. Used clear silicone. And wah-la! My radio is fully functional!!!
Do you have a link? Mine is gone and the one I ordered from Amazon doesn't fit. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts