Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's a really nice looking set of wheels. Care to share the name/spec. Any noticeable change in ride comfort or handling?

·
Banned
1,281 Posts
They look really good and seem to fit well with the package. Did you find a deviation in the speedometer?

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rims are 20" 8.5/35 offset with 245/35/20 tires.. it is not a low tire and fits perfect... about aceleration ? Runs well and move nice... i use my kona in very short distance thats why i put 20" rims..

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
Rims are 20" 8.5/35 offset with 245/35/20 tires.. it is not a low tire and fits perfect... about aceleration ? Runs well and move nice... i use my kona in very short distance thats why i put 20" rims..
You effectively change the final drive ratio using different size tires.. Which is why I asked about acceleration, if you noticed a difference..

·
Registered
793 Posts
You effectively change the final drive ratio using different size tires.. Which is why I asked about acceleration, if you noticed a difference..

Looks nice, but I would still question if it affects warranty with Hyundai spending a quarter to a half a billion dollars on new warranty engines. They are known to try to skate out of warranties, they have tried to do it to me before. IF you were to have an AWD Kona and you had AWD issues with say clutch plate issue in the rear diff, they could just blame the rim/tire size as putting "undo strain" on the specifically designed system. This would be worse if you were not in the USA where we have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act that gives the buyer some power.

I am by no means a warranty fear guy, because those guys can be a bit much, fearing even changing viscosity of your engine oil is going to void warranty. When clearly when I bought my car I was not informed that I MUST KEEP oil change records an receipts. All Hyundai dealerships want to see is cleaner oil in the sump and no sludge.....at least in the USA. Now in Canada they want to charge you $800 to take your motor apart to look for sludge before they would warranty your car when clearly all they have to do is R&R the valve cover to look at the head to see the health of the engine @$100. But I digress.

I too was gong to alter tire size, going down a bit to change the final drive just a tad to an acceleration advantage. I quickly change that plan when I saw that foreseeably was a warranty issue catch point that Hyundai WOULD use. So my new rims are 18's, .5 wider at 8.5 inches wide and the offset is 7 mm off at 45. I will forgo the wheel bearing argument if I have to, since I have done 50 of those before with my hobby Audi repair business years ago. I will be running the stock 235/45/18 tire size so they can't use a sizing/stress issue with the drivetrain.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Looks nice, but I would still question if it affects warranty with Hyundai spending a quarter to a half a billion dollars on new warranty engines. They are known to try to skate out of warranties, they have tried to do it to me before. IF you were to have an AWD Kona and you had AWD issues with say clutch plate issue in the rear diff, they could just blame the rim/tire size as putting "undo strain" on the specifically designed system. This would be worse if you were not in the USA where we have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act that gives the buyer some power.

I am by no means a warranty fear guy, because those guys can be a bit much, fearing even changing viscosity of your engine oil is going to void warranty. When clearly when I bought my car I was not informed that I MUST KEEP oil change records an receipts. All Hyundai dealerships want to see is cleaner oil in the sump and no sludge.....at least in the USA. Now in Canada they want to charge you $800 to take your motor apart to look for sludge before they would warranty your car when clearly all they have to do is R&R the valve cover to look at the head to see the health of the engine @$100. But I digress.

I too was gong to alter tire size, going down a bit to change the final drive just a tad to an acceleration advantage. I quickly change that plan when I saw that foreseeably was a warranty issue catch point that Hyundai WOULD use. So my new rims are 18's, .5 wider at 8.5 inches wide and the offset is 7 mm off at 45. I will forgo the wheel bearing argument if I have to, since I have done 50 of those before with my hobby Audi repair business years ago. I will be running the stock 235/45/18 tire size so they can't use a sizing/stress issue with the drivetrain.

Adding to this, IF you were to run 20's (if they even make a 20/25 series :wink:NOT ) or 19's and you have the right size tire that matches very very closely to the OEM spec tires outside diameter, I think it would be fine. They would not have a case against you, even though I can see them trying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts