Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 2 L engine in sport mode does anyone else feel the steering gets tighter or the suspension tighten up ?

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
It shouldn't, unless it's your butt puckering from the anticipation of acceleration...................................:grin: :wink:

The suspension is a regular Gas-pressurized shock absorbers, front and rear springs coupled torsion beam axle/AWD Rear suspension: independent multi-link design, with no provisions for electronic adjustability. The steering is Motor-Driven Power Steering (MDPS), not controlled by the ECU. Sorry!

However you may feel a difference in the accelerator response as it is electronic fly-by-wire. Which is controlled by the ECU. Along with slightly different tune parameters in sport mode.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sport mode does change the tension of the steering. It is very noticeable.

From the owner's manual page 5-46:

SPORT mode manages the driving dynamics by automatically adjusting the steering effort, and the engine and the transmission control logic for enhanced driving performance.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
You're correct but not the suspension or it's components. I really haven't noticed at all in the steering of the Ultimate. I suppose, I've not really paid attention. Wish it did have a ride control but alias no adjustable suspension.:smile:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a question. I had read somewhere that you should only switch from normal to sport mode when you are stopped? Does anyone know anything about that?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have a question. I had read somewhere that you should only switch from normal to sport mode when you are stopped? Does anyone know anything about that?

No, it makes no difference. It is a computer algorithm and even if you accelerating and hit it you are fine. I do it all the time on my 1.6 turbo. "They say" you should not engage the AWD diff lock when moving, but here I would think you don't want to do this while under load in acceleration or de-accelerating. I have hit AWD while under way many times. But with the AWD lock you have a mechanical engagement, with sport mode it just flips into another algorithm map and changes what it is outputting to the turbo waste gate,(only 1.6T engines) fuel, and ignition, and it has been said steering, all within milliseconds. That sport button has been hit at least a hundred times in my car while underway.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
I only use sport mode.. tightens steering, shift points and changes accelerater pedal for quicker response.
The main advantage is having the shift points hold a gear longer b4 upshifting..

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is no way you can charm anything by using sport mode, as mentioned above. Pushing the button is just an information for the vehicle that you want more performance.

Also it's ok to turn on 4x4 at any moment, since it's a clutch and by design it engages when the slip is detected. Also keep in mind that even when 4x4 is locked it keeps lock just to 20mph, then it disengages. It's not wise to engage or in a turn, since it may cause slip. And of course we're talking about slippery surfaces all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the replies on this. I want to be able to switch back and forth between sport and normal modes at will. It doesn't say anything in the owners manual about not being able to switch while underway, at least from what I can find.
I do have another question; does sport mode change the engine settings in any way other than throttle settings? What about valve timing? My engine does seem to have a LOT more torque in sport mode, even when I shift in the manual gate.
Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Thanks for the replies on this. I want to be able to switch back and forth between sport and normal modes at will. It doesn't say anything in the owners manual about not being able to switch while underway, at least from what I can find.
I do have another question; does sport mode change the engine settings in any way other than throttle settings? What about valve timing? My engine does seem to have a LOT more torque in sport mode, even when I shift in the manual gate.
Thanks, Mike
It’s limited to adjusting the throttle input, steering effort and transmission shift points. The throttle “adjustment” gives you the feel of more power by allowing initial tip in to produce a non linear amount of throttle compared to normal mode. An effective trick for little programming.. The shift points are held longer and keeps the revs up for faster engine response..
I only use sport mode as it keeps the engine close to its sweet spot.. The DCT also provides more useful compression braking in sport mode..

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
No, anytime you need it.

Blessings and Peace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts