Hyundai Kona Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My steering column will need replacing at some point too. I have radio on most of the time, so mine doesn't bug me much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has been a nightmare for us. Our 2020 Kona started ticking right after the first oil change. Our dealer had us bringing back the car every 1000 miles for a check up, and to add oil. When we dropped it off on 11/24/20 for a repair it was going through over 2 qts per 1,000 miles. They've had the car for over six months. We started a request for a lemon law buyback on 2/18. We had a loaner car, but it was damaged while parked. Our insurance paid for the damage. When the car was fixed, the dealer sold it.

We went without a car for 6 weeks, and have been renting one for 6 weeks. Sedgwick has ignored us for as long as 3 weeks at a time. Last Monday they sent paperwork that took away payment for the rental car they'd promised. I called and emailed to complain and since then they're ignoring us.

It appears just under 126,000 are involved in the recall. I imagine they're swamped. But that's not an excuse to ignore people.

It's a shame. My wife really loved the car, but considering the shabby treatment they're giving us we'd be fools to buy another Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
This has been a nightmare for us. Our 2020 Kona started ticking right after the first oil change. Our dealer had us bringing back the car every 1000 miles for a check up, and to add oil. When we dropped it off on 11/24/20 for a repair it was going through over 2 qts per 1,000 miles. They've had the car for over six months. We started a request for a lemon law buyback on 2/18. We had a loaner car, but it was damaged while parked. Our insurance paid for the damage. When the car was fixed, the dealer sold it.

We went without a car for 6 weeks, and have been renting one for 6 weeks. Sedgwick has ignored us for as long as 3 weeks at a time. Last Monday they sent paperwork that took away payment for the rental car they'd promised. I called and emailed to complain and since then they're ignoring us.

It appears just under 126,000 are involved in the recall. I imagine they're swamped. But that's not an excuse to ignore people.

It's a shame. My wife really loved the car, but considering the shabby treatment they're giving us we'd be fools to buy another Hyundai.
Did you call Hyundai? Did you call your states Attorney General, most are not busy since they are no longer prosecuting criminals with the new leftist swing. If Hyundai HAS YOUR car for warranty they have to provide you with a car. Go have a little talk with the general manger. Go to other dealer and talk to their general manager and see if youcan trasfer your car and problem to them. Get the news involved, they have nothing to do since they are ignoring crime stories. This will fill a slot for them. Get creative. Document everything, look for the class action attorneys and see if they have a local one who is on board with them to write a letter. You should not be without a car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called Hyundai last Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, and again today. Last Monday I got a mid afternoon email from Sedgwick saying they hoped to have an answer for me by the end of the day. I also emailed Hyundai Customer Care and Sedgwick (the people they pay to "handle" claims for them) a couple times last week. Thursday a gal at customer care spent quite a while trying to be helpful and was able to find out our file had been "transferred to National, and they don't have a phone number".

Hyundai has their customer (we don't) care system set up to keep customers from getting access to people who make decisions.

Today I also called NHTSA and the FTC. I'll call the Attorney General tomorrow. Depending what they say I may also call the consumer affairs reporter.

The dealership told my wife they're selling all loaner cars because they don't have enough inventory.

We're renting an Elantra through Enterprise for $431.20/week on an insurance replacement basis. We can't afford that, it's more than our mortgage, and we still have to pay for the car loan because it's not through HMFC.

My sister has an Ionic and a Kia Niro plug in. I have a Sonata in addition to the Kona. My brother has an Elantra. Only one of those cars is more than 3 years old.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I called Hyundai last Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, and again today. Last Monday I got a mid afternoon email from Sedgwick saying they hoped to have an answer for me by the end of the day. I also emailed Hyundai Customer Care and Sedgwick (the people they pay to "handle" claims for them) a couple times last week. Thursday a gal at customer care spent quite a while trying to be helpful and was able to find out our file had been "transferred to National, and they don't have a phone number".

Hyundai has their customer (we don't) care system set up to keep customers from getting access to people who make decisions.

Today I also called NHTSA and the FTC. I'll call the Attorney General tomorrow. Depending what they say I may also call the consumer affairs reporter.

The dealership told my wife they're selling all loaner cars because they don't have enough inventory.

We're renting an Elantra through Enterprise for $431.20/week on an insurance replacement basis. We can't afford that, it's more than our mortgage, and we still have to pay for the car loan because it's not through HMFC.

My sister has an Ionic and a Kia Niro plug in. I have a Sonata in addition to the Kona. My brother has an Elantra. Only one of those cars is more than 3 years old.

Sad, that a family FULL of Hyundai and Kia owners see this car company perform the most dismal job at customer care and are excelling at customer anger. They should know how this goes since they have 10 years experience what I feel is purposely designing engine problems into their cars, so top executives with engine rebuilding companies get rich thru embezzlement.
ONE yes ONE phone call to Mahle Engineering Systems would have stopped all this 9 years ago. These guys make the pistons for VW Audi and multiple other key car makers. Problem solved. It not have cost them 4.5 billion dollars like it has. This won't help you, but you can't ALWAYS have motor problem after motor problem when the fix is SO SO SO SO easy. Follow the 10 years of money.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
This was Announced about a month ago. Has anyone ever received any Updates as to what is being done?

Reactions: Green Sub

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2020 has been knocking for a while now. I also have a distinct burning smell and I'm running through a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles. I see no oil leaks. My car has pretty much the exact symptoms they have for the recall for the 2.0. I was in the dealership last week for an oil change, the woman in service gave me a look like I had a second head when I said about the recall. Her response was that Hyundai hasn't given them a fix yet.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My 2020 has been knocking for a while now. I also have a distinct burning smell and I'm running through a quart of oil every 1000-1500 miles. I see no oil leaks. My car has pretty much the exact symptoms they have for the recall for the 2.0. I was in the dealership last week for an oil change, the woman in service gave me a look like I had a second head when I said about the recall. Her response was that Hyundai hasn't given them a fix yet.

The fix is a new motor, Hyundai has had 10 years of putting in new motors, their techs should be that fastest in town on R&R engines.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The piston ring issue is affecting 1% of the total cars recalled not all 2.0 engines are going to have this issue. I know it is human nature to think I might be in this one percent. But then again I might be in the 99% not affected.At the minute I have a 2020 KIA Soul which is included in the recall. I just got a letter informing me of the fact. I have no noise and no oil burning. I will be trading the Soul as Soon as my dealer can get me a KONA N-line Ultimate.

Pat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There’s no remedy, so what are they going to do?
Exactly! I spent hours on the phone with Hyundai Corporate, and my dealership asking why this is MY problem, but got no answers either. I am disabled, and my 70# service dog goes everywhere with me in my 2021 Kona that has less than 1300 miles on it. I can't be waiting on the side of the hot road with my pup IF I have to wait for Roadside Assistance. I want them to hold the care until they have a remedy, and either give me a safe loaner to drive, give me my money back, or replace it with a safe vehicle. They won't do any of that, and I am not happy about it. I told them that I am not making anymore car payments until their remedy is available, bit of course, they don't care. They'll just repo it, ruin my credit, keep my $, and sell it again to some other sucker. I think I need an attorney! I wonder how many of us there are getting the same runaround. 😡

Has anyone else consulted with an attorney? If so, what did they say? TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exactly! I spent hours on the phone with Hyundai Corporate, and my dealership asking why this is MY problem, but got no answers either. I am disabled, and my 70# service dog goes everywhere with me in my 2021 Kona that has less than 1300 miles on it. I can't be waiting on the side of the hot road with my pup IF I have to wait for Roadside Assistance. I want them to hold the care until they have a remedy, and either give me a safe loaner to drive, give me my money back, or replace it with a safe vehicle. They won't do any of that, and I am not happy about it. I told them that I am not making anymore car payments until their remedy is available, bit of course, they don't care. They'll just repo it, ruin my credit, keep my $, and sell it again to some other sucker. I think I need an attorney! I wonder how many of us there are getting the same runaround. 😡

Has anyone else consulted with an attorney? If so, what did they say? TIA
My cars in the recall too, i just got my letter today…but i check my oil regularly and it doesn’t burn any so far im not to worried about it…as long as you can pop the hood and check the oil level you’ll be good to go…most people never check it but its actually in the owners manual to check the level regularly and top off as needed. Super easy insurance to check the oil level.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I have Never received a Letter from Hyundai. Only Notification was from NHTSA in an Email.

Reactions: Green Sub

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife and I both have a 2020 Kona 2.0. Both just got the recall letter in the mail! My car has over 30K on it and have not had excessive oil burn hers has about 14K on it and same thing so far.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
What does the letter say? I have never received one. Mine is a 19 model. Thank you

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I just received mine on Friday

·
Registered
1 Posts
My girlfriend bought a 2019 Kona used with 40K-ish miles on it in the fall of 2020. In the past months of owning it we haven't noticed any oil consumption but have been experiencing other symptoms of a worn out engine such as hard starts (5 seconds + of cranking), occasional stalling on startup, excessive engine vibration, recurring check engine light with P300 random misfire code. I'm going to go with her to the dealership and try to get them to replace the engine under recall. Worried that since the car is used she might have warranty issues, such as if they ask for service history for the period prior to her ownership. Any advice?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Maybe check the spark plugs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My girlfriend bought a 2019 Kona used with 40K-ish miles on it in the fall of 2020. In the past months of owning it we haven't noticed any oil consumption but have been experiencing other symptoms of a worn out engine such as hard starts (5 seconds + of cranking), occasional stalling on startup, excessive engine vibration, recurring check engine light with P300 random misfire code. I'm going to go with her to the dealership and try to get them to replace the engine under recall. Worried that since the car is used she might have warranty issues, such as if they ask for service history for the period prior to her ownership. Any advice?
I too , bought a 2019 used CPO Kona with 30,000 miles In November. It was consuming 2 quarts of oil every 800 miles. The dealer ran 2 oil consumption tests to verify my input. the car was at the dealer 7 weeks, but all is good now with the new engine. You should be 100% covered.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts