Hyundai Kona Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona
128 Posts
Seems to be the same issue I had with my 2012 Elantra. If it is, then it will be a short block change and not the whole engine. I did not have this issue with my 2018 Elantra, although I only had it just over 2 years before I traded it for my 1.6T DCT Kona.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona
128 Posts
Just was this in Driving.ca this morning. It seems that the whole engine could possibly be replaced.

Hyundai is recalling more than 390,000 vehicles in Canada and the U.S. for two problems that can cause a fire in the engine bay.
The first recall affects some 203,000 Santa Fe Sport models from 2013 through 2015, and involves brake fluid leaking into the anti-lock brake computer, causing an electrical short and possibly a resulting fire.
According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, owners should keep their vehicles parked outside and away from buildings until the issue is fixed. To fix the problem, dealers will replace a fuse, and possibly the computer as well, if deemed necessary.

A second recall affects 187,000 Elantra models from 2019 to 2020 with the 2.0-litre engine, as well as 2019 through 2021 Kona and Veloster with the same engine. The recall states the piston rings may not have been heat treated properly, causing them to be too hard and possibly chip inside the engine.

Once again, this issue could cause premature wear, oil leaks, and possibly even fires. These engines will need to be inspected by a dealership, and possibly replaced completely; piston noise sensing software will also be installed.
Owners will be notified of either recall by late June.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Called Hyundai USA the representative told me to wait for the notification so that I can bring it to the dealer as there is no remedy yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fingers crossed here with my 2021 SEL. Checked the oil level today for the first time and at 4,195 miles it took just eight ounces to reach the "F" line on the dipstick. Guess moving forward I'll be checking at least once a week until I get the recall letter and visit the dealership for the "fix".

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I heard two different reports of what is happening. One stated the Oil Control Rings were cracking. Another stated that the Rings were too hard and are Scoring the Cylinders. My Oil and Filter needs to be changed but the end of the month. Every 5k Mile Interval. Should I wait? I am using Pennzoil Syn 5/20 and a Bosch DP filter. Which is supposed to last longer than I change it at. I wonder if the Syn Oil is helping to prevent damage? Versus using a conventional 5/20.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I stopped at a Hyundai Dealer today. Found ou Why I wasnt getting Notifications from them. They had my E-mail wrong. It was corrected. Forgot to ask. My car is coming due for an Oil/Filter change at the end of the month. Should I just do it? Or hold off to see what Hyundai is doing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just checked my vin for 2021 SEL manufactured in Jun 2020 was affected, did not get any notice from dealership at all. Sad I only had 1600 miles on my kona and looks like a engine replacement is required😢 This reminds me of my mazda rx-8 in the old days. Got engine replaced, and died at just 41K due to bad service from dealership.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I wonder if Synthetic Oil Lessens the likelihood of engine damage from the Rings?? My oil level has always been fine. I do my own Oil and Filter changes. Using Penn or Valv Syn 5/20. And a Bosch DP Filter every 5k.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just checked my vin for 2021 SEL manufactured in Jun 2020 was affected, did not get any notice from dealership at all. Sad I only had 1600 miles on my kona and looks like a engine replacement is required😢 This reminds me of my mazda rx-8 in the old days. Got engine replaced, and died at just 41K due to bad service from dealership.
Same here--2021 SEL manufactured in June 2020. While I understand what Hyundai is going to do--they can't just replace thousands of engine if only a small percentage are destined to experience problems--the PNSS software plan means we will all be driving "ticking time bombs" that could fail at any time. :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wonder if the people using Conventional Oil are more prone to Failure?

Reactions: Green Sub

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do you inspect the piston rings without removing and dismantling the engine? Anyone with any engine knowledge knows that a failed piston ring = misfires, blow by, excessive oil consumption, and eventually a blown motor when the pieces of the failed ring get caught up all over the oil passages.

The resale value of EVERY Hyundai and Kia just plummeted. These things won't be touched in the resale market now. My wife loves her car, but hasn't driven it much so we have less than 2,000 miles on her 2019. And yes, to the others who mentioned it, I changed the oil at 750 miles as you're supposed to with a new engine. I wonder when the class action lawsuit will start?

·
Registered
107 Posts
How do you inspect the piston rings without removing and dismantling the engine? Anyone with any engine knowledge knows that a failed piston ring = misfires, blow by, excessive oil consumption, and eventually a blown motor when the pieces of the failed ring get caught up all over the oil passages.

The resale value of EVERY Hyundai and Kia just plummeted. These things won't be touched in the resale market now. My wife loves her car, but hasn't driven it much so we have less than 2,000 miles on her 2019. And yes, to the others who mentioned it, I changed the oil at 750 miles as you're supposed to with a new engine. I wonder when the class action lawsuit will start?
I doubt these will drop in value to any extreme as they have sensors they are deploying to acoustically sense any damaged rings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having just bought a used car for my step-daughter, we paid particularly close attention to cars that had these kind of TSB's or recalls.

Imagine, you're driving down the highway and a ring fails. The sensor picks it up and shuts off the engine. In the fast lane. At 70+ mph. Sorry, not interested. But, I have an open mind and a nervous wife. Convince me not to run and trade this in for an HR-V or similar small SUV.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Having just bought a used car for my step-daughter, we paid particularly close attention to cars that had these kind of TSB's or recalls.

Imagine, you're driving down the highway and a ring fails. The sensor picks it up and shuts off the engine. In the fast lane. At 70+ mph. Sorry, not interested. But, I have an open mind and a nervous wife. Convince me not to run and trade this in for an HR-V or similar small SUV.
We don't know the mode of failure, and even small cracks will be picked up acoustically, and nothing says it will just shut down your engine while operating it. I am all for playing it safe, don't get me wrong, but I doubt such a catostraphic failure would occur and their solution would be just a sensor. Non compliant components will often lead to a slower failure such as scratching the piston wall. I won't try and convince you because I only know how they will monitor it, not what the failure mechanism is, or what will happen when it does fail. Beats the **** outta engine fires!

21 - 40 of 82 Posts