Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a great running reliable 2019 2.0 SE AWD for our son who drives like Miss Daisy.

I’m getting ready to retire my truck and only use it for towing now at 227k mikes. Nothing wrong w it but it’s a year 2000 4x4.
I drive 500-1000 miles week for work (sales) and almost all highway at 75-85 mph.

My concern is the blow by issue w the turbo engine (making oil) might be exasperated by high rpm driving in the heat in Florida.
Also I don’t like DCT transmission but probably won’t impact me since the car won’t be shifting very often.
Is it preferable to get the 2.0 NA for this use to avoid this oiling issue?

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
I wouldn’t be too concerned about the turbo engine and blow by.. If its properly designed and conditions are controlled, then there should be no issues. Turbo Engines require a bit more maintenance, but it should deliver a full service life compared to a NA engine when properly maintained.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn’t be too concerned about the turbo engine and blow by.. If its properly designed and conditions are controlled, then there should be no issues. Turbo Engines require a bit more maintenance, but it should deliver a full service life compared to a NA engine when properly maintained.
I noticed all your qualifiers. Lots of “if’s” and “shoulds”. Reading threads here really causes me pause.
In fortunately I found a thread about catastrophic engine failures and drinking oil. I need to stop reading.

·
Registered
365 Posts
We have a great running reliable 2019 2.0 SE AWD for our son who drives like Miss Daisy.

I’m getting ready to retire my truck and only use it for towing now at 227k mikes. Nothing wrong w it but it’s a year 2000 4x4.
I drive 500-1000 miles week for work (sales) and almost all highway at 75-85 mph.

My concern is the blow by issue w the turbo engine (making oil) might be exasperated by high rpm driving in the heat in Florida.
Also I don’t like DCT transmission but probably won’t impact me since the car won’t be shifting very often.
Is it preferable to get the 2.0 NA for this use to avoid this oiling issue?
Sounds like the 2.0 checks all the right boxes for you.
Check these links and threads to help justify your choice.

Just had this happen to me today 02/11/2020 on 2019 kona with 2.0L engine at 7 thousand miles. Dealer immediately said sounds like 'inhibitor switch', we have one in stock hyundai 427003b700qqh. They changed it, test drove it and sent me on my way. So far so good>

·
Registered
26 Posts
i am a new owner, <8k, and i prefer the 1.6t, currently no issues with consumption.. been checking since we started out coast to coast trip and its been fine
not exactly related.. but ..i've had multiple dodge car with Mitsubishi water cooled turbos, since 1986 and the turbos lasted >150k (till daughters crashed them.. ugh)

i went with the 1.6t because it simply drove better.. and i really like the DCT transmission.. around town and long trips its great..

one thing i did notice is fully loaded with crap bikes on the trailer hitch at 75-80mph using cruse in Arkansas it would downshift on long hills .. don't know if the 2.0l would have
if the price would have allowed the premium with auto braking is a great feature.

·
Registered
2018 Kona Highlander 1.6T
9 Posts
I noticed all your qualifiers. Lots of “if’s” and “shoulds”. Reading threads here really causes me pause.
In fortunately I found a thread about catastrophic engine failures and drinking oil. I need to stop reading.
I previously owned a Mazda 6 twin turbo diesel and not long after I bought it, I read some horror stories about clogging Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) on a Mazda forum that had me second guessing my purchase. Those stories made me rethink the way I used the car and so for a while I only used the 6 for long roadtrips. In time it occurred to me that if the DPF issues were that wide spread I'd be seeimg a lot more stories about them. It followed that in reality, there were very few issues so I stopped reading and worrying and went back to using the car more frequently. It's good to be informed as long as it doesn't lead to paranoia.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Every car forum has horror/lemon stories you can get worked up about. If there are a ton of them then I'd worry. But really, the Kona doesn't have that reputation. Consumer Reports recommends it, and thinks its a good choice in terms of value and reliability, though they do specifically favor the 2.0.. Also, you aren't going to get a 6 year warranty from most other alternatives. If you are going to be driving the car as much as you say, you will go over the warranty mileage, though.

As for 1.6T vs 2.0, have you driven your son's car? I have a 2.0 SE AWD and I think its plenty fun to drive but if you are wanting something with an extra sporty feel that isn't a sports car then that is what the 1.6T model is for. I don't see spending the extra cash in your case, but that is just my take.

·
Super Moderator
1,184 Posts
There aren’t many Long term reliability posts since the Kona is still relatively new. I was stating that the Hyundai Kona has all the necessary measures to keep it reliable... You reading “a” thread about a catastrophic failure doesn’t make it the normal for everyone. For every post about a problem, there are probably thousands with No issues that aren’t posting about it..

·
Registered
336 Posts
You reading “a” thread about a catastrophic failure doesn’t make it the normal for everyone. For every post about a problem, there are probably thousands with No issues that aren’t posting about it..
I think it is important to also notice that A LOT (notice I specifically did not say all) of the most critical posts about how "horrible/unreliable" the Kona is, are from posters who have less that 10 posts.
These in my mind are always suspect and MAY NOT be real owners, but just "trouble makers or perhaps even competitors" looking to slow down the Kona sales!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think it is important to also notice that A LOT (notice I specifically did not say all) of the most critical posts about how "horrible/unreliable" the Kona is, are from posters who have less that 10 posts.
These in my mind are always suspect and MAY NOT be real owners, but just "trouble makers or perhaps even competitors" looking to slow down the Kona sales!
That's why going to a forum about a specific model is generally a waste of time. Unless it is a wide spread issue (talking dozens of posts a day), you are only going to find the sub 1% of owners with issues. Posts like this (not your reply, the overall one) make me kinda sad because the original poster is too scared to buy a product based off of an extremely biased method of research. I could go to any Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Ford forum and find out that all of there are cars are unreliable because there are more negative posts than "hey my car is still running great" posts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's why going to a forum about a specific model is generally a waste of time. Unless it is a wide spread issue (talking dozens of posts a day), you are only going to find the sub 1% of owners with issues. Posts like this (not your reply, the overall one) make me kinda sad because the original poster is too scared to buy a product based off of an extremely biased method of research. I could go to any Toyota, Honda, Nissan, or Ford forum and find out that all of there are cars are unreliable because there are more negative posts than "hey my car is still running great" posts.
The original poster currently owns a Kona.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts