Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum. I recently (in early July) bought a new 2022 Kona. I then discovered that Hyundai recalled a large number of Kona models with the 2.0L non-turbo engine up through 2021 recalled for excessively hard piston rings that were breaking and scoring and otherwise damaging engines. Does anyone know if Hyundai has corrected this problem in the 2022 Kona engines?

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
735 Posts
I am new to the forum. I recently (in early July) bought a new 2022 Kona. I then discovered that Hyundai recalled a large number of Kona models with the 2.0L non-turbo engine up through 2021 recalled for excessively hard piston rings that were breaking and scoring and otherwise damaging engines. Does anyone know if Hyundai has corrected this problem in the 2022 Kona engines?

Nobody knows. Hyundai has not been forthcoming about it. Although it is the new smartstream engine for 2022, so they should be different as the whole engine is different from the prior design.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Considering it's a new/different engine, I'd have to assume the issue is rectified.....it would be lunacy for them to use the same problematic piston rings after recalls and issues on the older model engines.

I just bought a 2021 with 2.0 and made sure to run the VIN through the Hyundai website to make sure my unit isn't affected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The recall is for 2019-2021 models and it only affects 1% of the engines in the recall, but they are compelled to recall all of the engines to determine which are faulty.

Pat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The recall is for 2019-2021 models and it only affects 1% of the engines in the recall, but they are compelled to recall all of the engines to determine which are faulty.

Pat.
Thanks for the recall statistical information --

1 - 7 of 7 Posts