Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had a 1/2 inch of snow that stuck to the road here in Minneapolis, so I did some testing of the AWD and just as in the Youtube tester who took the Blue colored Kona 1.6T and DCT up the sand hill, Hyundai disconnects the transmission if you are drifting or spinning and it gets past 4500 rpm with ALL the technology for traction control and VSA (vehicle stability assistant) turned OFF. It's not the rev limiter that is doing it it is a transmission limiter. So normally I like a top tier all season ultra high performance tire like the Continental DWS Extreme 06 that is on the top of the list for the best all-season tire, so I can drift as I could with my older Audi's that were late 80s early 90s, and Subaru's they did not have all the safety controls. So with this Kona having dedicated winter snow tires will be the best way to go since having better traction will be "the fun" since drifting is out. Plus, the braking will be superior with dedicated winter tires.

That reminds me of the time I bought Pirelli winter tires for my 4000 Quattro and the stuck so good when I could not "start drift" from a stop sign with semi fast acceleration. I ran them for a week and sold them. They just had too much traction for that low hp AWD car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We had several inches of snow the other night and I tried the same thing.

I'm using blizzaks on 16" ugly steelies and I couldn't even start a slide/drift, so I wouldn't know about any transmission limiting when sliding. I did have the long press for turning off traction and stability control active.

So I guess it's great for the wife to commute with

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks like in the video as long as you modulate the throttle and don't hit the limiter it will let the tires spin did you guys try it like that as well? We are supposed to get some snow tomorrow but I doubt it'll be enough to play in... If we do get enough I'll definitely give it a try though however I'm not too worried about playing in the Kona though, if I want to drift I'll grab one of the company vehicles, or get my truck out, 650 HP + snow is always fun :) Well with snow tires at least...

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not the engine limiter you are hitting, it is a transmission limiter. Thats what I thought when I was watching that guys video, I kept talking to the computer screen "quit hitting the rev limiter"!!!!!!! Now I know it is the transmission limiter that was doing it.:surprise:

·
Registered
222 Posts
My last car (a Jeep) wouldn't spin either so I don't have those expectations. I get why there would be a limiter built into the car, though. I ended up buying Cooper Evolutions for snow tires and get those installed on Monday.

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Interesting video... some tires better suited to off roading would have made a world of difference..
Was interesting to see how the setup works.. thanks for posting..

·
Registered
244 Posts
One I would never take the Kona into deep sand like the video, its not a Subaru or Audi. As for snow drifting in a Subaru one would disable the Traction Control but with newer models it has a built in with the ECU to reengage it for safety. On a Subaru it throttles back the engine speed adds in braking for each wheel making a drift hard to do, reason why drifting is not done on a AT but manual , I could do slight drifting in my older Outback but the AWD and Traction even off would kick back in, as for sand the Kona is not a true AWD like a Subaru.

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Just make sure you turn off the Traction and Stability Controls (TCS and ECS). It will drift all you like!:grin:

Blessing and Peace

·
Super Moderator
1,090 Posts
Just make sure you turn off the Traction and Stability Controls (TCS and ECS). It will drift all you like!:grin:

Blessing and Peace
Not necessarily so .. those systems dont always turn off completely... most are still active to some extent.. My 2013 FRS had an unadvertised feature called a pedal dance.
There was a sequence of pedal taps and some other control that had to be done within a certain time period. It would turn off ALL aspects of the stability system, traction systems,
auto braking bias was turned off.. The car becomes completely different in handling for those track days.. not good for the street.. system back to normal with next ignition cycle..
I thought that was a very cool feature and I used it at a track event.. not expecting anything like that with this type of car.. but was amazed they engineered that into those cars..
Must have been a subaru thing..

·
Banned
1,278 Posts
Try holding the Traction Control button longer or pressing both the TCS and ESC together. It will completely turn off.

Blessings and Peace

1 - 10 of 10 Posts