Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My 19 Kona SE AWD only has about 27k Miles. Last week or so I noticed the Heat wasn't as good. Its 30F outside, Engine Temp Never went above the 1/4 Mark. Normally sits around the 3/8 Mark. Sometimes I see it Drop to the 1/8 Mark. Taking to the Dealer on the 19th. Drove 10 Miles to work. Radiator Cap was Luke Warm. Which tells me the Sensor is working properly. No Leaks under car. I'm Thinking Thermostat. I'll Post what they come up with.

·
Registered
2018 Kona limited.
825 Posts
Hi all. My 19 Kona SE AWD only has about 27k Miles. Last week or so I noticed the Heat wasn't as good. Its 30F outside, Engine Temp Never went above the 1/4 Mark. Normally sits around the 3/8 Mark. Sometimes I see it Drop to the 1/8 Mark. Taking to the Dealer on the 19th. Drove 10 Miles to work. Radiator Cap was Luke Warm. Which tells me the Sensor is working properly. No Leaks under car. I'm Thinking Thermostat. I'll Post what they come up with.

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck open, or there is air in the system. The temp gauge should get to just below the 1/2 mark, which is 195 degrees F.

On a side note, is there any fluid in the overflow jug? If there is, what color is it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldn't be any air. System hasn't been opened in over a year. Dealer is going to look at it on the 19th

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As my Luck runs. When I Finally get into the shop, Its a Balmy 50F Outside. No Problem Found. Bring back when it happens. Dealership is 20 Miles in the Wrong Direction.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
20 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like a thermostat that opens too early or stuck open. A $20 part with $200 labor. It’s good that you’re still under warranty.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, Try $232. Dorman sells it with a Housing and Sensor

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
20 Posts
Actually, Try $232. Dorman sells it with a Housing and Sensor
My bad. My 21 Limited has a 1.6L engine, and the thermostat is actually a different part, costing about $20. The 2 liter engine in SE trim does come with a thermostat assembly. OEM part number 25500-2E085 is available online from $85 to $100.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would Fix it myself. Not hard. Can't Afford the part now. I have Car Ins Renewal in Feb, $600 for 6 Months (Full Coverage Lease). And around $6100 Medical Bills. On Top of other Bills.

·
Registered
2021 Limited 1.6T AWD
20 Posts
I would Fix it myself. Not hard. Can't Afford the part now. I have Car Ins Renewal in Feb, $600 for 6 Months (Full Coverage Lease). And around $6100 Medical Bills. On Top of other Bills.
But it’s a 2019 model, and Hyundai has a 5-year bumper-to-bumper warranty. Thermostat is not a ‘wear’ part, and theoretically should last the life of the engine. The dealer should fix it for free.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No Problem Found was the diagnosis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts