Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Kona AWD with 2.0 engine. I am just in the process of doing the 4th oil change. Items I have replaced so far are the engine air filter and cabin air filter both at 12,000 miles. Those are the only things I have done so far.
I noticed when I got ready to remove the oil drain plug yesterday, that there was a very tiny bit of oil weeping around the drain plug. I haven't noticed any oil on the garage floor, but I did see that the oil was just slightly low on the dip stick. I have been replacing the oil drain plug gasket each time I change the oil, but I was using generic aluminum gaskets/ washers from the auto parts store. I did notice that they didn't seem a perfect fit. (slightly too large) The first oil change I did, I used a washer that I got at the dealership, but didn't want to drive down there the last couple of times. I made a note in the service log that I have been torquing to 30 ft. lbs.
So, what should I do to the car now it has 18,000 miles? What type of drain plug washers do you guys use? Should I just wait until monday and get one at the dealership?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Put in an easy drain plug, no worry about washers anymore.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
First off, change your rear diff oil, at 18,000 it will be nice and black with all the AWD clutch pack break-in material. I guess I am really not a new metal gasket guy, I don't have a problem with reusing gaskets. I had to change out only once at year 5+ my old 7 year old Honda Fit oil pan gasket and then I replaced it with this style one that I switch over my Kona to, since I am old school and don't care for those quick change valves. It looks like this minus the magnet.

I have changed all my fluids out with Redline synthetics as many as 3 times like on the rear diff, since I tow and thrash the car a bit more then most, and all have the original aluminum gaskets with no plans on changing them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the many replies! Great feedback. I will probably buy the 6 pack of filters from Amazon.
As far as the rear diff, transaxle oil change, I might do that, but when I asked the guy at the service dept. about it, he said not to bother until about 60,000 miles?
Why would there be clutch pack break in material in the rear diff? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The rear diff has all of the electronic AWD system /clutch plates. You have less then a 1/2 qt of oil to hold all the clutch break-in material. This system of the AWD drive system in the rear diff is all the same for Rav 4, Highlander, Audi TT and other Audi cars, All VW AWD, Volvo, and ect.. anything without a truck body has this style AWD. I found out this serious issue with my wife's Rav4 that black and you could see clutch material at 22,000 miles on it. Don't change it if you expect to get rid of your car but be for warned at 100,001 Hyundai won't warranty your $3,500 to $4,000 AWD system and you will never own a Hyundai again when you get that bill. I have seen a couple in Toyota's go out at 119,000. No one worries about or even thinks about the rear diff oil change early, or they don't do it or by 60,000 miles you have started the damage to your bearings by then. It's up to you I always try to let new owners know. It is so cheap to do and the first time is the most important. You just have to demand it. They are not doing you any favors changing it at 60,000. If you do it yourself it is $10 worth of non synthetic and $20 with Synthetic 75w-90 GL-5. You need a 24 mm socket to loosen the drain and the fill hex drain/fil lbolt covers. I would assume $60 at the dealer.

There was another guy different then this guy below and he said the mechanic was so surprised too , no one checks them to see just how fast they do get dirty. I said in one of them I was going to move my 8,000 mile suggestion to 5,000 miles , but I moved it back to 8,000 since most people don't do their own change out. So they want to only do it once so back to 8,000 mile would be the time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the many replies! Great feedback. I will probably buy the 6 pack of filters from Amazon.
As far as the rear diff, transaxle oil change, I might do that, but when I asked the guy at the service dept. about it, he said not to bother until about 60,000 miles?
Why would there be clutch pack break in material in the rear diff? Am I missing something here?

Rear diff fluid at 4,034 miles on SEL AWD. Your choice....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I bet that surprised you it was that dirty at 4,000 miles?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bet that surprised you it was that dirty at 4,000 miles?
Oh yeah! The service interval, I believe, was 60k. By then it would be maple syrup. Not pleased, and it rarely has gone into awd since this past winter was pretty mild. I never even hit the button to lock it. This is exactly the reason that i have increased my service intervals on my John Deere lawn tractor, and weed whacker. On the 2014 Veloster, I changed the spark plugs at 50k and couple of them were a bear to get out even though change was supposed to be 100k or so. Same with Coolant. I don't trust the recommended service intervals on anything now. As i have gotten older, I have discovered that when someone says "A", I now believe it's "B". Maybe paranoia but it's hard to find competent and trustworthy technicians, who are either clueless or have a self interest in hiding the truth

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Oh yeah! The service interval, I believe, was 60k. By then it would be maple syrup. Not pleased, and it rarely has gone into awd since this past winter was pretty mild. I never even hit the button to lock it. This is exactly the reason that i have increased my service intervals on my John Deere lawn tractor, and weed whacker. On the 2014 Veloster, I changed the spark plugs at 50k and couple of them were a bear to get out even though change was supposed to be 100k or so. Same with Coolant. I don't trust the recommended service intervals on anything now. As i have gotten older, I have discovered that when someone says "A", I now believe it's "B". Maybe paranoia but it's hard to find competent and trustworthy technicians, who are either clueless or have a self interest in hiding the truth
Yep, same here. 2.0T liter Hyundai's have had cracked spark plugs that take out motors and bad ignition coils alone can miss fire on the up stroke of the compression phase and take out a motor too, that has happened many times. I am changing my plugs out at 30,000. and all 4 coils at 50,000. I do not use the engine shield as that just holds in heat around the coil area. Anal yes, but my car is on boost more then most.

·
Super Moderator
1,046 Posts
it’s not uncommon to see graphite and metallic color and particles as the clutch packs wear in... but that looks really bad.. a larger pumpkin and more fluid would have helped.. but if I had the AWD version.. I would be changing the diff fluids often as well..

View attachment 4325
Rear diff fluid at 4,034 miles on SEL AWD. Your choice....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts