Hyundai Kona Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mixed driving 18 miles highway 65-75mph, 6 miles of city driving, sport/full manual mode. Very impressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 1.6t does seem to get good mileage if you treat it right.
We currently have a Kia Soul Turbo with the same 1.6t and 7 speed dct. I would caution on a couple things though:

-Hyundai/Kia seems to have VERY optimistic trip computer mileage readouts. Sometimes over a couple of tanks...or other times over one tank, I fill up and calculate my mileage manually. In previous General Motors cars and our previous Mazda, the manual calculations seem to confirm, within 1mpg or less, what the trip computer says. Now with out Kia. I still get good mileage, but when the trip computer shows 38.3mph (for example), in reality I only got close to 35. I have confirmed this optimism by the Hyundai/Kia Trip computer over many, MANY fillups and with 2 different vehicles.

-As with most Turbo engines, if you drive them very lightly you will beat the EPA by quite a bit. Turbos do best when they are treated gently (as far as MPG's go), but they will do AWFUL if you are on the gas all the time. If you are very heavy on the gas or drive highway speeds over 75mph, a turbo is not the best for MPG (non turbo would be better). But if you are light on the gas and stay below 70 on the highway (basically don't let the boost kick in on the turbo that much), then the Turbo engine will do much better than the non-turbo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ya mine shows 36 mpg but when I actually did the calculation based on how many miles I drove and how much gas I filled up it was 32

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mines been averaging 23mpg since I got it. I can get 30-31 on long hwy trips but mixed or mostly city I don't get any of the advertised mileage. Still love the car but I took it to hyundai 2 times to see if there was something wrong like a leak in the hosing or turbo piping etc. Both times they told me its fine. They recommend I try premium gas and I ran 1 tank with very similar results like 1 to 2 mpg difference. So I dunno what I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
2020 Kona Trend - 1.6T AWD - sunset orange
25 Posts
Mines been averaging 23mpg since I got it. I can get 30-31 on long hwy trips but mixed or mostly city I don't get any of the advertised mileage. Still love the car but I took it to hyundai 2 times to see if there was something wrong like a leak in the hosing or turbo piping etc. Both times they told me its fine. They recommend I try premium gas and I ran 1 tank with very similar results like 1 to 2 mpg difference. So I dunno what I'm doing wrong.
hmmmm . . .i wonder if you track / calculate it yourself if it would be similar to the cluster readout. . . ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Are you using the top tier gas like they recommend in the manual? (Toptiergas.com)

I run 91 and get 32 average but I don't lay on the turbo much and usually keep it under 2 to 2.5 k rpm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
2020 1.6t 7 speed here...overall the computer on mine shows that I'm getting 35mpg. On long trips on flat roads, it goes even higher.

Now...what it reads vs. what I calculate at the pump....well, that's a bit different, too. I calculate that I'm getting about 33.4 (even though the computer says 35.1). I can't complain, though. This much fun with 30+ mpg is just awesome.

These calculations are from the computer in the dash. When I say it reads "35.1" I've never reset that since I've had it...a little over 12,000 miles and I use a lot of cruise control. I've got my phone app that keeps me from having to learn basic math for the actual pump readings over the Kona's lifetime.

My daily commute is about 60 miles and about 40 of it are Interstate Highway with hills (70mph for about half, then 60). The remaining is in town traffic that is 35-45mph. This car gets incredible mileage at 60mph on flat road.

I use Shell Regular 87 fuel.

One thing I do is when I'm at highway speed and start going up a hill, I will take over gear selection and put it in 6th most of the time going up hill, then back to 7th. If I look at the Instantaneous MPG bar readout and it shows I'm at 25 or less (half way on the gauge), I will downshift. Sometimes the gauge will actually read a higher MPG (more bars to the right) when going up certain hills in the lower gear. I have no idea if this helps or not. My only idea behind this is to not push the turbo too hard for uphill grades. If the gauge says 25 in 7th gear at highway speeds, and it has one more bar to the right when I downshift to 6th, I guess I'm "winning." Since I'm cheap and use regular gas, I figure that cranking up the turbo at 2,200 rpm could cause some long term issues. The engine is still really smooth at 2,700 rpm when in 6th to maintain speed. I dunno. I figure that if I up the RPMs it would be less "stress" and then don't have to worry about pre-ignition or it dumping so much fuel into the cylinder to cool it down that your oil gets poisoned. Trust me, it is magic. :)

I've had this car for about 9 months now and I have been quite pleased with it. It is a perfect size for what I need. It is immensely fun to drive. It has all of the bells-and-whistles I could ever use. A pretty decent stereo. ...and it gets over 30 mpg while hauling butt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Last tank I saw the same, gauge said 35 I calculated 33. I love the car too, glad you do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts