Hyundai Kona Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent been able to confirm with any other sources besides Wikipedia, so I figured I check in with you guys. Can anyone confirm that the 2022 Kona N-Line is running the same exact engine as its 2021 predecessor? I’ve been having a hard time finding any products/manuals/resources for the 2022 since manufacturers have not yet confirmed it. Figured I could buy the 2021 products instead. Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Kona N Line w/ tech package on 19in Konig Ampliforms
139 Posts
AFAIK it's new, it's a smartstream engine. Form what I've seen in pictures, mine (2022) is different from others I've seen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
looks like the 2021 2.0T is a theta ii world motor, thttps://www.hyundai.com/content/dam/hyundai/au/en/models/kona-n/2021/docs/KONA_N_Spec-Table_Sept_2021.pdf

couldn't find data on the 2022

·
Registered
11 Posts
I havent been able to confirm with any other sources besides Wikipedia, so I figured I check in with you guys. Can anyone confirm that the 2022 Kona N-Line is running the same exact engine as its 2021 predecessor? I’ve been having a hard time finding any products/manuals/resources for the 2022 since manufacturers have not yet confirmed it. Figured I could buy the 2021 products instead. Thanks!
No its different. I have a 2022 n line myself

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know when I was leasing my 2021 Kona Night the 2022 when on the ground but the 2021 Night had a big rebate and was able to get a discount. The 2022 1.6T has 195hp vs 2021 having 175hp. Would have loved the 20 extra HP but was a big difference in the payment.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
New 1.6T engine with multiple injectors.. I think it now has port and direct injection.. Smartstream engine replacing the 1.6T gamma.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
143 Posts
New 1.6T engine with multiple injectors.. I think it now has port and direct injection.. Smartstream engine replacing the 1.6T gamma.
is that the kind of engine that keeps the valves clean by spraying the back oif them? i bought my mk vii thinking it was standard and it turns out it was for everyone else but the us of course

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
is that the kind of engine that keeps the valves clean by spraying the back oif them? i bought my mk vii thinking it was standard and it turns out it was for everyone else but the us of course
The diagram showed it has dual injectors, A set of direct injectors and a port injector. That’s a total of 3 per cylinder.
it was unclear as to which model/trim would get which setup. Just two direct injectors or the Combo of port and direct injectors. can’t find any more info on whats available for the Kona setup.
The port injectors would keep the valves stems clean. Toyota uses a dual system as do some others.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Yea, look at the heavy UGLY cast crappy rims Hyundai put Kona N for the USA, Yet ANOTHER epic fail from Hyundai (ha ha). Europe gets forged light NICE looking rims (with the exception they are black and you can't see the rims 10 feet away) The USA always gets the crap from these car manufactures. That's why you need to pile on them in social media about them serving the USA cars with crap options.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe the Kona N-line simply uses the 1.6T engine transplanted from its sibling, Hyundai i30/Elantra, and Kia Forte/Cerato GT, which always had the "195hp" output (130kw for earlier Kona 1.6T, 150kw for i30N-line/Kia Cerato GT here in Australia). Difference between the two: the lower output engine has a single scroll turbo, while higher output has twin-scroll. I have the Kona 1.6T DCT from new in Nov '17, and recently traded in my Kia Cerato GT for a i30N DCT.

·
Registered
2020 black kona limited
143 Posts
I believe the Kona N-line simply uses the 1.6T engine transplanted from its sibling, Hyundai i30/Elantra, and Kia Forte/Cerato GT, which always had the "195hp" output (130kw for earlier Kona 1.6T, 150kw for i30N-line/Kia Cerato GT here in Australia). Difference between the two: the lower output engine has a single scroll turbo, while higher output has twin-scroll. I have the Kona 1.6T DCT from new in Nov '17, and recently traded in my Kia Cerato GT for a i30N DCT.
im pretty sure my 1.6t is twin scroll its 2020 limnited so 175hp

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
They are all twin scrolls even the 1.0 liter gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is something I have been thinking about and curious about since the 2022's were introduced. Where, and how, did that extra 20hp come from.
Its great to put it on a press release or spec sheet, but there has been nothing at all I can see the explains it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
This is something I have been thinking about and curious about since the 2022's were introduced. Where, and how, did that extra 20hp come from.
Its great to put it on a press release or spec sheet, but there has been nothing at all I can see the explains it.
It does not make much difference as the torque is the same. It may have a micro more power on top end, but it’s almost a moot point. Marketing. It can be changed with timing and boost. They could have done nothing with the tune, as many people who dynoed the stock car had close to that hp anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The difference in performance between my '17 Kona (130kw) & '19 Kia "Forte" (150kw), stock v stock, was quite obvious. The former seemed to have its turbo engage earlier, but ran out of puff toward the mid-upper and higher rev range. While the 150kw (200hp) engine accelerated strongly from mid thru to upper revs. Anyway, I enjoy my Racechip S equipped Kona much, esp after I transferred a Throttle Controller (SAAS S-Drive) from the Kia to it, and also shod it with Michelin Pilot 4 tyres only yesterday!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts